93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

car shuts off for no apparent reason

Old 06-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Default RE: car shuts off for no apparent reason

Vicki, I had the fuel pump. cam shaft sensor and the maf sensor tested and they all check out ok. We were not able to do the thing with the computer on the front seat because my mechanic thought my computer was located one place and come to find out it was located under the hood, so unless I could figure out how to reach my hand thru the hood, while I was driving, there was no way to do "the tap test". He has run out of ideas. I suggested he let me drive around with the scanner on it like someone else suggested, and he thought that was a good idea, but unfortunately they use their scanner dozens of times a day and I really didn't want to be responsible for a $7,000 piece of equipment sitting on my front seat....so next week I am going to leave the car with him and he is going to hook it up and drive it home from work and back to work, and hopefully this time he will have a breakdown and we can find out what is going on. I told him to drive like a little old lady instead of a speed demon and see if it breaks down on him then. In talking we found out the only thing we do differently is that he puts the air on before he cranks the car and I wait to put it on, if I put it on at all, because it seems like if I put it on it causes a breakdown. He told me to put the air on before I cranked it and see if any thing happens. I did that on the way home and it ran just fine. Of course that was only a 2 mile trip, and could have been coincidental. Wish me luck on this. I need it. If anyone out there has any other suggestions, or has any more ideas as to why it would breakdown when I turn on the air, please please speak up. I would be forever grateful, if we could figure this out. Again Vicki, I am so glad you are not having any more problems.

Old 06-14-2006, 03:21 AM

Is anyone else haveing the same problem i am where after it shuts off they are geting almost no voltage out of the battery like 6 or 7volts

Old 06-14-2006, 03:43 AM

Tom, I don't think anyone has thought to check my voltage,so for me the answer is no. I have been driving my car this week by starting my car with the air on, and then leaving it on, and have had no breakdowns. I have no idea why this works, only that it does. I wasn't able to leave my car with the mechanic because I had too many things to do this week to be without a car. Do you have any idea why this would keep it from breaking down? Try this yourself and see if the same thing happens. Good luck. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Old 06-14-2006, 03:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

there is a way to check your computer with the "tap test". Turn your car on and lift the hood. Let it warm up for about 5 minutes. Then Tap your fingers with some force...if your engine stalls or feels like it's about to stall then you know your computer has a problem.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:23 PM

Hey 94, I'm not trying to be ignorant, but where exactly am I supposed to be tapping?

Old 01-25-2007, 02:56 PM

So Vicki has this still solved your problem? I have been going through thesamestuff you did word for word. i have taken it to two machanics and they both could not figure out what has been causing it. but if it has fixed your problem i'm hoping it fixes mine.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Overdrive Member

I hope her problem was fixed because the last post was in June 06!

Old 01-25-2007, 06:32 PM

they always could have found something else. i took it in they said fuel pump i replaced. still dies. noone can honestly tell me whats wrong andi can't even drive it other then to and from work.