93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Car Runs Rough!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Exclamation Car Runs Rough!! Help!!

Ok, so here's the deal. I just replaced the fuel pump in my 1999 camaro 3.8L. I picked it up from the mechanic and could automatically tell it wasn't running "right." I drove it home (about 20 miles) shut it off and went inside for a while. When I came back out to start it, it simply wouldn't start. It would only start if I had the gas pedal to the floor, then I had to rev it up to keep it running, until it was warm enough to idle normally. If the car would sit overnight, I could get in it and it would start right up the first time. Otherwise, it idles rough, will only stay running in idle if I keep revving the motor up, and there is a horrible gas smell in the car. Could it be the IAC valve, o2 sensor, MAP/MAF sensor, or something as simple as a fuel filter? I'm def. in some serious need of help!

Old 02-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Droid

Why was the fuel pump replaced? Being that you have to floor the gas pedal in order for the engine to start, and the smell of raw fuel indicates an excessively rich fuel mixture. Has the fuel pressure, and pressure regulator have been tested with a pressure gage in accordance to the service manual?

Old 02-04-2012, 11:17 AM

A few months ago the fuel pump went out completely in the car. I replaced that, but not the fuel filter. I have had Autozone hook up a free tester, but the only thing that came back was "random misfire." I'm guessing the owner before me took out the check engine light bulb. I haven't yet been able to check the pressure regulator/fuel pressure...my mechanic wants to charge me upwards of $80 just to check the fuel pressure.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Tech Droid

Random misfire is caused by something that affects all cylinders. Usually a lean fuel mixture, but may also be caused by failing ignition parts, such as, in your engine, the ignition control module, coil packs, or bad ignition wires and plugs. You can borrow a fuel pressure gage from many parts stores for free, but you will have to leave a deposit for the full price of the gage, just in case you forget to return it.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:05 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

how old are the plugs and plug wires. moved your thread to the 4th gen v6 section for ya

Last edited by craby; 02-05-2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Yea, I'll def. do that today. I'll see how much the deposit is and check the fuel pressure. I bought this car around a year ago, and it had about 202,xxx miles on it, so I'm guessing by the way it is running now that the plug/wires are all original. Thanks for the move craby

Old 02-05-2012, 09:15 AM

There is also an extremely strong gas smell from the exhaust when I start the car up for the first time. After I drive it a couple miles it mellows out...does this have anything to do with what's wrong?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Tech Droid

If the engine is misfiring, raw fuel is being dumped in the exhaust. Too much misfiring overloads the cats and the fuel smell will come out the exhaust. It will also cause the cat to overheat and destroy itself.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 740cordaws
There is also an extremely strong gas smell from the exhaust when I start the car up for the first time. After I drive it a couple miles it mellows out...does this have anything to do with what's wrong?
I would not keep driving the car you can overheat a cat pretty quick. I had a plug wire go bad on me while i was driving home, i was like 20 min. away and the raw fuel was enough to cost me a new cat. BTW my car reports P0300 Random misfire when only one cylinder is misfiring. It has done this twice since I have owned it. I had a bad plug wire out of the box once and then the cheap replacement I used was too long and got burnt up. This was on cylinder 6 and both times the code pulled was for random misfire(p0300). I was able to verify it was only one cylinder misfiring on a $5K snap on scanner but it was still pulling a multiple/random misfire code.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:42 AM

Is there an "easy" way for me to check my cylinders? Sorry, I'm not a car person

Quick Reply: Car Runs Rough!! Help!!