93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

car always heats up and then some!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default car always heats up and then some!!!

I have a 89' camaro rs 2.8L, this car seems to hate being cool 'cause its always getting hot
and fast too. i changed the thermostat to 180 degree, i put a new radiator, i changed the fan switch sensor (found in front of the intake),
i put a new temp. gauge sending unit, has a perfect mixture of antifreeze and water,
9the thermostat is facing the right way), The fan turns on, but extremely late, someoneplease help

Old 05-07-2006, 04:47 AM
Default RE: car always heats up and then some!!!

check your water pump, heater core, all hoses, and blockages in the block
also try running strait water no anti freeze
make your temp gauge works properly too

Old 05-08-2006, 12:39 AM
Default RE: car always heats up and then some!!!

If by new you mean "New" and not from junk yard, then the radiator does not need to be cleaned. If it is a used radiator then by all means have it rodded and flushed. The tanks must be removed to do this correctly. High pressure flushing does not work.

DO NOT try just water. Even if that were to work, (which I seriously doubt) you would only cover up the problem, your next problem could be worst.

The bottom line, if your thermostat is working properly and the radiator is flowing properly (which by the way means your water pump would have to be working). Basically leaves the Fan. You say it cuts on but too late. How do you know its too late, are you looking at a numbered gauge or just an indicator. At what temperature does it turn on? If you want to take the fan out of the question, bypass the temperature relay so the fan stays on.

If you still have a problem, my guess would be combustible gases entering the coolant system by way of a cracked head or damaged head gasket. There is a simple tool that you can use to check for this and would be available at most parts stores or you could stop by a radiator shop and they would probably do it for free. The test only takes a few seconds once the car is warmed up.

Ron