93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

camaro V6 vs. 05 neon srt 4

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 04:53 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: camaro V6 vs. 05 neon srt 4

ORIGINAL: Matt99camaro

ORIGINAL: ninetysixyenko

neon's are -technically- imports, they have alot of import-ish stuff on them, and they are no less.. a tuner. and they are a pretty fast car, just like any tuner out there, but i lose respect for cars with turbo, means engine can't make it's own power, unless, there's nothing left to do but turbo it. my friend has a 121 horse Eclipse GS, that could prolly top my car, which is a 1996 3.8 Camaro. although, up till 3rd, he'd be seing tail lights, i dont know what exactly my gear ratios are, but in 1st, i can go bout 7MPH before it red lines, and 2nd is about 35 before it red lines, and 3rd is 75 before red line, 4th is 110ish before red line, and i havent tried 5th, lol. but i hope to do same thing to my car with super charger, run it on just headers, better ignition coils, fuel injectors, i'd like to bore it out and try to drop the T-56 into it too.
They are not technically imports
imports=made somewhere other than America
domestic=made in America

Your going to run a supercharger but a turbo is cheating, not a big difference between the two. Making power is making power, it dosen't matter how you do it, NOS, turbo, supercharger, bolt ons. The only way it can be considered cheating is if your running something on your car the rules of the race specify you can't, on the street anything goes. And you are saying you redline at 7mph in 1st gear, my 3.8 in first gear redlines between 35 and 40.

it's same thins as calling focus a import, saturn ion a import.... and ya, i know thats what a normal 3.8 redlines at, mine dont. and supercharger is different cuz your taking engne power and just magnifying it, where turbo makes power from exhaust.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Ninja Administrator

sadness....

you know HOW each works... yet you still just..... well, i dont know what ur doing... but its wrong! no! nooooooo, bad.....

both systems work by forcing air into the engine. there, thats me going fundamental on your ***....

the SC does NOT magnify enginehp in any different way than a turbo.
you have a basic issue: if you want more power, you need to get more air into the engine.
the basic problem: your engine has a natural max flow rate.
your basic solution: you can force air in using some mechanism with available power.

the SC uses a belt and lets the crank spin it up. The turbo has an impeller which is turned by exhaust fumes, thus spooling the turbo up and forcing air in. what the engine sees is no different either way. the engine sees more air being forced down its throat. the only difference is there is parasitic LOSS (opposite of magnification if you're still paying attention) with the supercharger because of the pully system.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:19 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

sadness....

you know HOW each works... yet you still just..... well, i dont know what ur doing... but its wrong! no! nooooooo, bad.....

both systems work by forcing air into the engine. there, thats me going fundamental on your ***....

the SC does NOT magnify enginehp in any different way than a turbo.
you have a basic issue: if you want more power, you need to get more air into the engine.
the basic problem: your engine has a natural max flow rate.
your basic solution: you can force air in using some mechanism with available power.

the SC uses a belt and lets the crank spin it up. The turbo has an impeller which is turned by exhaust fumes, thus spooling the turbo up and forcing air in. what the engine sees is no different either way. the engine sees more air being forced down its throat. the only difference is there is parasitic LOSS (opposite of magnification if you're still paying attention) with the supercharger because of the pully system.

exactly, the Turbo makes free HP, it doesnt take anything from engine, where SC(even if it's a 1/8 of a HP) takes something from engine, which i consider, as engine making it's own horse, atleast "helps" itself make -free- horse, where turbo(in essence) is completely free. and it' that the engineHelps SC that makes it so SC engages(makes good HP at low RPM), but doesnt make near as high max HP as turbo. basiclly - i beleave turbo is cheap, not cheating, where SC is leas respectable, just wat i beleave...
now if you were to but a dual inlet with one SC and 1 turbo.. i wanna go for a ride with you, lol.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:21 PM
4th Gear Member

and also, you could oversize pulleys on super to be -better- than turbo, turbo is just much easier work for HP

Old 06-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Ninja Administrator

i guess thats ur opinion... but i still dont see the basis for it. what it comes down to then is the SC is of poorer design (because the power from the engine you speak of is still a result of the fuel, as is exhaust, so the engine is helping itself in each situation).

but then again, the turbo is tricky, especially in high hp situations. if you watch professional drag racing (outlaw class) you wont see many turbo's and the finalists are almost always SC cars (and quite often foxbody mustangs to boot [&:]). each system has its advantages and disadvantages. you can call one cheap or the other more respectable if you wish, but alot of people wont really take you seriously.

alot of times what you will get is "why the hell would I strap that thing up to the crank when i can put it in the exhaust and make more hp with the same boost?"

Old 06-15-2007, 05:40 PM
4th Gear Member

in high end drag race like outaw, they normally want the snap of a SC(already got top speed and all down).. and ur right bout what most would say

Old 06-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Ninja Administrator

no, the reason the finalists are usually sc or nitrous cars is because the turbo guys blow up

Old 06-15-2007, 06:00 PM
4th Gear Member

lol

Old 06-15-2007, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member

When you fight an devil, be an devil yourself... that is all I can say... Dodge neon I-4 I think , 2600 lbs , with turbo...

That what makes me wanna get turbo later on this year & but out number that I wouldn't see as stock or light modd to the camaro like header & cam.. You need more, much more, how much $$ you have ????

Old 06-17-2007, 09:06 PM
4th Gear Member

i found this, to bad not out for camaro yet and will only be for 98+

http://www.3800performance.com/Merch...roduct_Count=0

Quick Reply: camaro V6 vs. 05 neon srt 4