Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 V6 Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/)
-   -   camaro V6 vs. 05 neon srt 4 (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/camaro-v6-vs-05-neon-srt-4-a-5796/)

JaySan 08-11-2006 02:34 AM

camaro V6 vs. 05 neon srt 4

i just raced a turbo charged dodge neon and LOST ! does any one know how i maybe could have one , because i was kickin @$$ till the turbo kicked in. my camaro was automatic transmission and his was a standard. i have a cold air intake , headers , and flowmaster exhaust. His was stock . So my question is how fast are those damn things? should i be embarassed that i lost to a 4 cylinder?

Raidenvaga 08-11-2006 05:27 AM

RE: camaro V6 vs. 05 neon srt 4

I posted this same thing... I lost to an turbo neon to... because my limiter was still on... Don't feel bad at all about that.
When I race the turbo neon on I-75 We going an 100 then i hit 115mph and couldn't keep up. I'm guessing they have an 140-160 in top speed.
Wasn't for that turbo , that *** is mine

t4nk 08-11-2006 12:28 PM

SRT-4's are Q U I C K... (for what they are)
there are a few out there that will make a stock Viper look like you are flinstoning it!!!

V1cinity 08-11-2006 03:20 PM

Its true what t4nk says. My friend in the Air Force bought one and they are fast. I dont understand how they are that fast with that price. He's put $9,000 in parts on his and he runs low 10s on the track.

94v6 08-11-2006 03:22 PM

a stock srt-4 neon runs 6 to 8 lbs of boost. and runs a 1/4 mile in high 14s like 14.7 -14.9. thats bone stock. i rode in a srt-4 once that would make you **** your pants. this car was insane quick. the kid dumped about another 10 or so g's into this srt and had me pinned to the seat. they have potential. and no dont be embarassed that you lost to a four cylinder, bc well its a turboed 4 cylinder, your runnin basically a bone stock 6. with out turbo they are just a four cylinder. now if you lost to a stock 4 cylinder then i would be embarassed. lol. and well you have a v6 camaro, automatic no less, you lose hourse's wit automatic.

chevrolet96 08-11-2006 08:07 PM

Get a NOS system to level the playing field. I had the same issue. A stock neon srt wont' stand a chance against a v6. but its a ricer and kids are moding the hell outta them. Ill be damn if a 4cyl ricer is going to beat an american chevrolet. I added NOS and it hasnt happened again.

z28pete 08-11-2006 11:53 PM

I would be careful about going against any car that uses forced induction of any type. With forced induction, if done properly, engine size is of little consequence, it just depends on how much air gets stuffed into the engine.

t4nk 08-14-2006 11:24 AM

ORIGINAL: chevrolet96

Get a NOS system to level the playing field. I had the same issue. A stock neon srt wont' stand a chance against a v6. but its a ricer and kids are moding the hell outta them. Ill be damn if a 4cyl ricer is going to beat an american chevrolet. I added NOS and it hasnt happened again.
a stock SRT-4 vs a Camaro V6 w/ spray.. I will put 1000 dollars down on the SRT!! And last time I checked DODGE makes the SRT? is Dodge no longer a domestic? Coulda fooled me.....

Stock V6 camaro's run 16's.. stock SRT's run 14's.. don't tell me a spray on a v6 camaro is going to gain you 2 seconds.. its NOT going to happen..

96Camaro3800II 08-15-2006 04:36 PM

they r fast but sad thing is i've got a 96 camaro rs automatic and i just bought a 07 zx3 s 2.0l 136hp focus that weights 700lbs less and its a close race i had my friend in the camaro but i took him by about 3/4 of a car the focus is standard

355CAMARORS 08-15-2006 05:10 PM

I OWNED AN SRT-4 AND IM A TELL YOU FROM DRIVING TO RACING ONE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE. FROM FACTORY THEY ARE BOOSTING 13LBS STOCK NOT 8 AND THE HOLD ON STOCK INTERNALS 400-450 HORESPOWER. THATS EASILY 20LBS OF BOOST WITH THE RIGHT COMPUTER AND INJECTORS MODS.BUT YOU KNOW WHAT THERE AONT NOTHING LIK THE RUMBLE OF A CHEVY WITH A HIGH LIFT CAM AND A T-56 TRANNY TO BACK IT FOR THE LONG RUNS OF WELL OVER 150 MPH AMYBE EVEN 170MPH

02blackonblack 08-15-2006 10:56 PM

A stock srt4 comes equipped with 230hp, compared to the 3800 camaro's 200hp. Not to mention, the srt4 is lighter than the camaro. The solution?

- Full exhaust system (including a high flow cat, headers, mufflers, etc.)
- Cold Air Intake (not the cheap one, the true cai that costs about 3-4 hundred)

That alone beats the srt4, not by too much, but by enough, at least for my buddy's camaro it does.

My personal solution/plan, the powerdyne supercharger (http://www.lmperformance.com/2460/13.html), I'm getting mine installed in a couple months, I'll post pics. Adds 90 hp (45%).

No ****in' srt4 will be close to my camaro. Why? Because on paper with the above listed mods, the v6 camaro will be above 320hp with the weight of a v6.

Camaroguy87 08-16-2006 02:43 AM

90hp huh? let me know if that thing really gets you past 320hp. Also let me know if you smoke a srt4. I just bought a '97 v6 5 spd. Not really planning on getting one, but just curious- do they make superchargers for that year? good luck with it man

02blackonblack 08-16-2006 09:55 PM

Yes sir, RKSport makes superchargers for the '97.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/p...its_VehMake=GM

Yeah, I'm very determined to get my V6 past 300-320 hp just to prove a point, enough money can accomplish many things. It will be the ultimate sleeper. I've done A LOT of research and, like I say, "on paper", it will work. I'll be posting pics and info about the entire project once I'm done with it. Yeah, I know it's cheaper and better to buy a V8, but not when you're 19 and you're insurance is as high as mine lol.

Raidenvaga 08-17-2006 10:42 AM

Yes they do and even the 3.4 , you just got to look around

98Camreysinhell 09-21-2006 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: 02blackonblack

Yes sir, RKSport makes superchargers for the '97.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/p...its_VehMake=GM

Yeah, I'm very determined to get my V6 past 300-320 hp just to prove a point, enough money can accomplish many things. It will be the ultimate sleeper. I've done A LOT of research and, like I say, "on paper", it will work. I'll be posting pics and info about the entire project once I'm done with it. Yeah, I know it's cheaper and better to buy a V8, but not when you're 19 and you're insurance is as high as mine lol.
Hey that sounds like a good plan. I like that supercharger too. I'd like to do that before I do anything major like an engine change. I am not a good mechanic YET? I think down i'll get an SS or something. I am enjoying this car so much that its making me obsessed!!!

Good luck with the supercharger bro! tell us more about it when you get it in.

latars![sm=americanasmiley.gif]

nacx 09-22-2006 11:31 PM

those are some impressive numbers

abcd 11-07-2006 02:09 AM

hey guys, im a former 2000 v6 owner and I currently drive an 05' srt-4, and im here to tell ya, the srt-4 donkey raped my camaro. I raced several times before I got rid of the camaro and saw tailights after about 2 seconds and that was about it. By the way, a stock srt-4 is runnin high 13's, 400$ later(Mopar stage one, Stage 2 wastegate, and an intake) and im now besting 13.4. Your gonna need alot of dough to beat that in the ol' sixer

94CamaroSFI 11-07-2006 03:00 AM

I was reading in motor trend about the Srt-4 when it first came out that it had the fastest acceleration next to the viper on the dodge line up. Dodge has stepped there game up no doubt. And Chevy has it's answer coming in 08/09 :D

z28pete 11-07-2006 03:09 AM

You need to be careful tangling with a turbocharged car of any brand. It is easy to up the boost to some extreme number and get some really serious power. Personally, I don't care for turbo cars because I feel it is cheating, but they can put out the numbers.

SRT 06-13-2007 12:25 AM

as an srt owner I can tell you off the bat that srt-4's are quick, and I know some drivers out there give us a bad name but respect what's out there, you never know

Deagle85 06-13-2007 12:47 AM

ORIGINAL: abcd

hey guys, im a former 2000 v6 owner and I currently drive an 05' srt-4, and im here to tell ya, the srt-4 donkey raped my camaro. I raced several times before I got rid of the camaro and saw tailights after about 2 seconds and that was about it. By the way, a stock srt-4 is runnin high 13's, 400$ later(Mopar stage one, Stage 2 wastegate, and an intake) and im now besting 13.4. Your gonna need alot of dough to beat that in the ol' sixer
Nice! You might be able to keep up with a stock ls1 now ;)

RS.Camaro.SS 06-13-2007 08:55 AM

haha, i like that deagle (able to keep up with a stock ls1). Well srt-4s are respectable because some how dodge made a car thats quick.. I just want to know if they are going to be able to still run after about 5 years worth of driving or if they will fall apart and live up to the NEON legacy of ****,. lol. Let us know how it goes with the SuperCharged/V6 Im interested in the numbers after its installed.

libertyforall1776 06-13-2007 06:37 PM

What is stage 1 & stage 2? Generic terms or specific to a particular vendor?

RS.Camaro.SS 06-13-2007 06:52 PM

I believe it is generic... something like for a Cobalt SS/SC is Flashed ECU, bigger injectors, CAI, Smaller pulley is a stage one... it would be about similiar for other brands.. when they start messing with exhaust thats when you get into stage two..

If anyone has a better handle on this please add or correct me if im worng.. bc my knowledge is MAINLY on the Cobalt but i have had experience with others (SRT-4, WRX, EVO VIII)

Matt99camaro 06-14-2007 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: t4nk

a stock SRT-4 vs a Camaro V6 w/ spray.. I will put 1000 dollars down on the SRT!! And last time I checked DODGE makes the SRT? is Dodge no longer a domestic? Coulda fooled me.....

Stock V6 camaro's run 16's.. stock SRT's run 14's.. don't tell me a spray on a v6 camaro is going to gain you 2 seconds.. its NOT going to happen..
With a decent driver a stock 3.8 V6 in good conditionshould run high 15's, a stock SRT4 runs high 14's, so yeah the 3.8 is gonna go down. This site http://www.exoticcarsite.com/0-60-qu...mile-times.htmhas it listed at 15.7, and I've beat cars that are supposed to be low to mid 15's.

bluovlh8er 06-14-2007 09:54 PM

what if someone put a pound of sugar in the tank of the neon? bet it wont be fast anymore.

ninetysixyenko 06-15-2007 11:18 AM

neon's are -technically- imports, they have alot of import-ish stuff on them, and they are no less.. a tuner. and they are a pretty fast car, just like any tuner out there, but i lose respect for cars with turbo, means engine can't make it's own power, unless, there's nothing left to do but turbo it. my friend has a 121 horse Eclipse GS, that could prolly top my car, which is a 1996 3.8 Camaro. although, up till 3rd, he'd be seing tail lights, i dont know what exactly my gear ratios are, but in 1st, i can go bout 7MPH before it red lines, and 2nd is about 35 before it red lines, and 3rd is 75 before red line, 4th is 110ish before red line, and i havent tried 5th, lol. but i hope to do same thing to my car with super charger, run it on just headers, better ignition coils, fuel injectors, i'd like to bore it out and try to drop the T-56 into it too.

Matt99camaro 06-15-2007 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: ninetysixyenko

neon's are -technically- imports, they have alot of import-ish stuff on them, and they are no less.. a tuner. and they are a pretty fast car, just like any tuner out there, but i lose respect for cars with turbo, means engine can't make it's own power, unless, there's nothing left to do but turbo it. my friend has a 121 horse Eclipse GS, that could prolly top my car, which is a 1996 3.8 Camaro. although, up till 3rd, he'd be seing tail lights, i dont know what exactly my gear ratios are, but in 1st, i can go bout 7MPH before it red lines, and 2nd is about 35 before it red lines, and 3rd is 75 before red line, 4th is 110ish before red line, and i havent tried 5th, lol. but i hope to do same thing to my car with super charger, run it on just headers, better ignition coils, fuel injectors, i'd like to bore it out and try to drop the T-56 into it too.
They are not technically imports
imports=made somewhere other than America
domestic=made in America

Your going to run a supercharger but a turbo is cheating, not a big difference between the two. Making power is making power, it dosen't matter how you do it, NOS, turbo, supercharger, bolt ons. The only way it can be considered cheating is if your running something on your car the rules of the race specify you can't, on the street anything goes. And you are saying you redline at 7mph in 1st gear, my 3.8 in first gear redlines between 35 and 40.

evbanks137 06-15-2007 04:19 PM

hey dont be to upset about losin to that srt 4 bc one of the dudes round my area has one n as sad as it is ta say, aside from the benz, lambos, n ferrari that a doc has, its probly one of the fastes cars round here...hes taken my buddy fer a ride in it n he said when tha turbo kicked in he was plastered to tha seat, n he bailed out n got off it round 130...n he coulda went faster

SpecterGT260 06-15-2007 04:33 PM

ORIGINAL: 355CAMARORS

I OWNED AN SRT-4 AND IM A TELL YOU FROM DRIVING TO RACING ONE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE. FROM FACTORY THEY ARE BOOSTING 13LBS STOCK NOT 8 AND THE HOLD ON STOCK INTERNALS 400-450 HORESPOWER. THATS EASILY 20LBS OF BOOST WITH THE RIGHT COMPUTER AND INJECTORS MODS.BUT YOU KNOW WHAT THERE AONT NOTHING LIK THE RUMBLE OF A CHEVY WITH A HIGH LIFT CAM AND A T-56 TRANNY TO BACK IT FOR THE LONG RUNS OF WELL OVER 150 MPH AMYBE EVEN 170MPH

shhhhhh, lets use our indoor voices..... [&:]

hes right tho, a stock srt4 will run low 14s to 14 flat in the 1/4.Spray could definitly help the camaro tho (NAWWWZZZZ YEAAAA BOI! again: [&:]) ahem.. nitrous! ok, the 3.8 camaro is basically comparable to the newer 3.8 mustang, and those with spray make some pretty nice numbers (>260whp) that would take out a stock srt4 pretty handedly.

a stock srt4 will put the whoopin on a 3.8. I think maybe you meant a stock neon SXT (because the "neon srt [4]" is always turbo'd).

neon's are -technically- imports, they have alot of import-ish stuff on them
please, for the love of everything we all hold dear and holy in this world... never use the words "technically" and "stuff" in the same sentance again [&:]"ish" is a no go too...[&:]

domestic=made in America
hey thanks man :D you saved me the trouble and the possible aneurysm

ninetysixyenko 06-15-2007 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt99camaro

ORIGINAL: ninetysixyenko

domestic=made in America

Your going to run a supercharger but a turbo is cheating, not a big difference between the two. Making power is making power, it dosen't matter how you do it, NOS, turbo, supercharger, bolt ons. The only way it can be considered cheating is if your running something on your car the rules of the race specify you can't, on the street anything goes. And you are saying you redline at 7mph in 1st gear, my 3.8 in first gear redlines between 35 and 40.

it's same thins as calling focus a import, saturn ion a import.... and ya, i know thats what a normal 3.8 redlines at, mine dont. and supercharger is different cuz your taking engne power and just magnifying it, where turbo makes power from exhaust.

SpecterGT260 06-15-2007 04:55 PM

sadness....

you know HOW each works... yet you still just..... well, i dont know what ur doing... but its wrong! no! nooooooo, bad.....

both systems work by forcing air into the engine. there, thats me going fundamental on your ***....

the SC does NOT magnify enginehp in any different way than a turbo.
you have a basic issue: if you want more power, you need to get more air into the engine.
the basic problem: your engine has a natural max flow rate.
your basic solution: you can force air in using some mechanism with available power.

the SC uses a belt and lets the crank spin it up. The turbo has an impeller which is turned by exhaust fumes, thus spooling the turbo up and forcing air in. what the engine sees is no different either way. the engine sees more air being forced down its throat. the only difference is there is parasitic LOSS (opposite of magnification if you're still paying attention) with the supercharger because of the pully system.

ninetysixyenko 06-15-2007 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

sadness....

you know HOW each works... yet you still just..... well, i dont know what ur doing... but its wrong! no! nooooooo, bad.....

both systems work by forcing air into the engine. there, thats me going fundamental on your ***....

the SC does NOT magnify enginehp in any different way than a turbo.
you have a basic issue: if you want more power, you need to get more air into the engine.
the basic problem: your engine has a natural max flow rate.
your basic solution: you can force air in using some mechanism with available power.

the SC uses a belt and lets the crank spin it up. The turbo has an impeller which is turned by exhaust fumes, thus spooling the turbo up and forcing air in. what the engine sees is no different either way. the engine sees more air being forced down its throat. the only difference is there is parasitic LOSS (opposite of magnification if you're still paying attention) with the supercharger because of the pully system.

exactly, the Turbo makes free HP, it doesnt take anything from engine, where SC(even if it's a 1/8 of a HP) takes something from engine, which i consider, as engine making it's own horse, atleast "helps" itself make -free- horse, where turbo(in essence) is completely free. and it' that the engineHelps SC that makes it so SC engages(makes good HP at low RPM), but doesnt make near as high max HP as turbo. basiclly - i beleave turbo is cheap, not cheating, where SC is leas respectable, just wat i beleave...
now if you were to but a dual inlet with one SC and 1 turbo.. i wanna go for a ride with you, lol.

ninetysixyenko 06-15-2007 05:21 PM

and also, you could oversize pulleys on super to be -better- than turbo, turbo is just much easier work for HP

SpecterGT260 06-15-2007 05:37 PM

i guess thats ur opinion... but i still dont see the basis for it. what it comes down to then is the SC is of poorer design (because the power from the engine you speak of is still a result of the fuel, as is exhaust, so the engine is helping itself in each situation).

but then again, the turbo is tricky, especially in high hp situations. if you watch professional drag racing (outlaw class) you wont see many turbo's and the finalists are almost always SC cars (and quite often foxbody mustangs to boot [&:]). each system has its advantages and disadvantages. you can call one cheap or the other more respectable if you wish, but alot of people wont really take you seriously.

alot of times what you will get is "why the hell would I strap that thing up to the crank when i can put it in the exhaust and make more hp with the same boost?"

ninetysixyenko 06-15-2007 05:40 PM

in high end drag race like outaw, they normally want the snap of a SC(already got top speed and all down).. and ur right bout what most would say

SpecterGT260 06-15-2007 05:45 PM

no, the reason the finalists are usually sc or nitrous cars is because the turbo guys blow up :D

ninetysixyenko 06-15-2007 06:00 PM

lol

Raidenvaga 06-15-2007 06:10 PM

When you fight an devil, be an devil yourself... that is all I can say... Dodge neon I-4 I think , 2600 lbs , with turbo...

That what makes me wanna get turbo later on this year & but out number that I wouldn't see as stock or light modd to the camaro like header & cam.. You need more, much more, how much $$ you have ????

ninetysixyenko 06-17-2007 09:06 PM

i found this, to bad not out for camaro yet and will only be for 98+

http://www.3800performance.com/Merch...roduct_Count=0