93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

CAI

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default CAI

Hi, i recently bought a CAI for my 3800 v6 camaro. I was wondering this... how would a CAI provide more airflow to my engine if the sensor on the car will only allow so much air to pass through? This is the part that i bought.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21033

Old 10-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: CAI

Which sensor on your car are you talking about? There isn't one that I know of, thatrestrictsthe air coming through.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Someone correct me if im wrong, but i thought that air sensor only measured the temperature of the air or the cleanliness? Possibly to use in conjunction with the EGR (pollution sensor) ....ive had mine unplugged (Deleted the EGR too) for o i dont know....4 months? car runs great. Stupid check engine light is getting on my nerves though. But yea, it wont restrict the air at all.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

ok thanks

Old 10-14-2008, 12:50 AM

ORIGINAL: jurmy2

Someone correct me if im wrong, but i thought that air sensor only measured the temperature of the air or the cleanliness? Possibly to use in conjunction with the EGR (pollution sensor) ....ive had mine unplugged (Deleted the EGR too) for o i dont know....4 months? car runs great. Stupid check engine light is getting on my nerves though. But yea, it wont restrict the air at all.
Do you have any idea what EGR stands for? It stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation, and, really doesn't have a whole lot to do with pollution and is definitely not a sensor. EGR adds exhaust gas to the intake manifold right at the base of the bottleneck, and, by doing so, reduces engine temperatures at idle due to less oxygen being in the air/fuel mixture. That does mean emissions are reduced, but only when the EGR valve is actually open, which is only at idle and then up to a certain rpm, but never during WOT.

Deleting it has never actually shown any improvement in power or mileage.

The sensor your talking about, I think, is the intake air temperature sensor, and that does as the name implies. There arent any other sensors in the intake except for the MAF but thats on the throttle body housing, your talking about the sensor way up front and in the plastic/rubber tube right? Actually though, that intake wont require doing anything with sensors at all now that I actually look at it.