93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

A/C Problem, Did I Get Ripped Off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Default A/C Problem, Did I Get Ripped Off?

Hello All,

Well my camaro was blowing hot air, so I took to a shop in here in MS and they said it was my high pressure port, cause my pressure when i hook it up would jump from 40 to 160 psi when the compressor would kick on. So they replaced the the high pressure port, for 224 bucks which i thought seemed really high and being new to the area and sweating in the deep south heat I told them "just fix it" so they did and i left there with cold air, well that was 2 weeks ago. So yesterday i went out to run so errons and long and behold its blowing hot air again. so i checked the pressure on the low side and it was a steady 100 psi, my question is... Did i get ripped off or is it possible they rigged it to work for a little while so that i would be back there to give them more money. I'm in the military so pay is low of course, but at the same time no one likes showing up to work all sweating. Could it be something else?

Your guy's help will be much appreciated.

Thx

Nsbjim

94 Camaro V6
5 speed.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: A/C Problem, Did I Get Ripped Off?

I doubt they could rig anything to create that probelm. I suspect that if one side has a probelm the other side is not far behind it. I assume you are talking about the AC compressor. I myself have never heard of one side being replaced but I never had that donel When my compressor goes out I have a new GM one put in. Here in Texas we go through compressors faster than some other parts of the country. They are not cheap. I think my last one at the GM dealer cost about $800.00 or so for compressor, other related parts, and labor and a one year full guarantee. I have had shops do this kind of work for me in the past and I always had problems. NEver a problem with my GM dealer though.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I forgot to add that when you do, or have done, any AC work be sure teh entire system is checked out and any problems fixed. It's a fairly complex system and o-rings and seals can be a problem. You need the right equipment. Having only one part fixed without checking the rest of it can cost you double in labor. Hope this helps

Old 08-06-2007, 08:47 PM

Sky thanks for your input, here is something that is bizarre, when i checked the pressure early when i stated that the psi was at a 100, which is freakish high on the low side, i didnt see the clutch engaging on the compressor, so i went back out there again and fired up the car and set the a/c to max air, and noticed that the compressor was engaged and saw the clutch moving. and the car was blowing cold. weird? maybe? I wonder if maybe its a relay...[sm=smiley24.gif]

also i should add the pressure on the lows side was 20-40 which would be sat.
any other suggestions suggestions???

Old 08-06-2007, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Could be a relay. Clould also be in the swith that engages and diengages the clutch since the clutch does not run all the time. There is a switch that lets it know when to engage and disengage. That is a common problem and an easy fix.. Could also be in the a/c heater contro insdie the car. Have had both happen to me. Check to see if the clutch engages and disengages as you shut off and turn on the AC. If it does then try the heater and see if that works. Usually if it's in the compressor it will either worki or won;t work.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll see if I can get more information on it for you. What year model, engine do you have?

Old 08-07-2007, 06:59 AM

Hey thanks again Its a 94 with a 3.4 liter, 5 speed. I will try these tests out today when I get home from work and let you know the results.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:47 AM
1st Gear Member

There is a good site to explain the components of the AC system in most cars. It could be the cycling switch which is not always working. Might be a connection if the clutch engages only some of the time. Check out this site.

www.aircondition.com

Old 08-07-2007, 07:29 PM

Sky runner thanks again good advice! that web site was helpful. So on the ride home from work, i thought i would give it try because the heat index was in the 100's so i did, and it blew cold and then i would feel heat come out the vent and then cold and it did this pretty much the 40 min right home. so i tried you method about...turn the a/c and turn on the defrost and heat and see if the clutch engages and log and behold.... the clutch engaged, and she blew cold air, I also tried to jump the compressor after unhooking it and try to see if could do that. that registered negative results. Is that good or bad? should it turn on if i jump or should it not? i know dum question to ask, but A/C work is completly foreign to me. When i check the PSI on the low side it was right at around 28 psi. Which from what i reading is what it should be at. I wonder if maybe its that clutch switch that fails sometimes, and sometimes it works. Kinda like on your tv remote sometimes when the batteries are dying it will work to scroll up a few channels and then it wont. and then you wait 5 mins or so and it works for 5 more. Sorry best anology i could come up with. And yes sometimes I'm lazy

Nsbjim

As always you inputs would go a long, I believe i can tackle this beast of A/c proble,

Old 08-07-2007, 07:49 PM
2nd Gear member

When you notice a difference in the air temperatures, is it an extreme? From cold, to HOT, as in the heat being on? Do you note a difference in sound? Heat and A/C have two distinct sounds.

Quick Reply: A/C Problem, Did I Get Ripped Off?