93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

bought camaro today, need a lil help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010 | 08:26 PM
|
Default bought camaro today, need a lil help

looked around but i really couldnt find the answer to my problem anywhere. When i turn the key on the dash light come on, but its as far as it gets, it wont turn over when i try to start the car, there is absolutely no reaction from the starter, although if i jump the solenoid wire to the battery it turns over and will even start for a moment with starter fluid sprayed into the engine. The car does have a chipped key, but there are no antitheft lights coming up or anything on the dash, i was told the starter relays have been changed, the ignition switch has been changed, etc. On the brake pedal there are 2 switches at the top of the shaft im aware one of these are for brake lights and the other is for the shifter ****?? the bottom one is broken, although i held the switch and pushed the button and pulled the button out neither helped... I really dont know where to start, all the fuses are good. I need fresh ideas. Thanks. K.c.

btw the car is a 95 camaro 6 cylinder. thanks ahead. kc.

Old 04-26-2010 | 08:41 PM
4th Gear Member

Is it an auto tranny? If so, have you tried moving the shift lever from park to neutral with the key turned to the start position to see if it will crank over. Does the security light light up when you first put the key in and turn to the on position with the rest of the lights on the dash?

Check this link out if you think it is with the security system
http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html

Last edited by osduck5; 04-26-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-26-2010 | 08:42 PM
|

i was curious, the guy i bought it from said he narrowed it down to either the key or the computer, seeings there are no antitheft lights, i think the key is working?? could the computer being bad, keep the key from making the starter work? i found a computer for it for 50.00 so if its a good possibility itd be worth a try?

Old 04-26-2010 | 08:42 PM
|

yes its automatic. i never saw the security light whatsoever, although i guess i could have missed it, i tried it in all gears, including neutral..

Old 04-26-2010 | 08:50 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kcscott11
i was curious, the guy i bought it from said he narrowed it down to either the key or the computer, seeings there are no antitheft lights, i think the key is working?? could the computer being bad, keep the key from making the starter work? i found a computer for it for 50.00 so if its a good possibility itd be worth a try?
Check out the site link I posted above. According to it, the BCM could be acting up but when you first put the key in, your security light should light up during the time when the dash runs through the check light process. Just verify that the bulb is good and lighting up so you know for sure the security light is not on. The BCM also controls fuel signal.

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html

Old 04-26-2010 | 09:04 PM
|

yea i just finished reading it, its pretty informative. i like that alot thank you. Gives me some things to look into tomorrow. Thanks again. I never did see a security light, so theres a good chance the bulb is bad, (perhaps from blinking so damn much with other people working on it) lol. The guy i bought it from changed the steering column thinking it was a problem with the column, when infact i think it was somethign with the security. ( so now its keyed differently) i asked and he said he put the chip from the original key in the new key from the new steering column, and by new i mean used steering column, which correct me if im wrong, means that the chip fits the key cylinder but the resistance is probably different?? If thats the case, basically the resistor trick should fix my problem? I have the old key with the chip in it, if i checked the resistance of it, could i do the resistor trick? or would i be better off just bypassing the tdm and tdr?

Old 04-26-2010 | 09:35 PM
4th Gear Member

I have never really messed with the security but from looking at the diaghrams, I believe I would ohm out the key and do the resistor to see what happens. I believe that would be the cheapest route at this time. Then if that didn't work, do the other. I was lucky with mine, I had a bad key.

Old 04-26-2010 | 09:54 PM
|

yea i may try the resistor tomorrow. I was just curious, if my security light is out, and infact should be on, could i just bypass the tdr, by jumping the two wires together, and the starter start working again by key, and just not get fuel, to verify that it is infact the vats system?

Old 04-26-2010 | 11:13 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

just curious what is the resistor trick

Old 04-26-2010 | 11:27 PM
|

basically you put a resistor of the same resistance and the chip in your key, in the key cylinder and it tricks the vats system into thinking its the right key...

Quick Reply: bought camaro today, need a lil help