93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Bosch plugs product test and swap instructions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Bosch plugs product test and swap instructions

I wasn't sure where to put this. The post to get them has long since been deleted I guess. But here is my review which includes instructions on how to change out the plugs for the 1994 3.4L V6 207 4 speed automatic Camaro. Review at the end of the instructions.

This is how to change them without removing ANYTHING extra. This is all plugs and wires.

First off, you will need:
1 1/4 ratchet
1 5/8 spark plug socket
1 ratchet sized extension (ie. long)
2 shorty extensions (finger length)
1 long thin flat head screwdriver
Your new Bosch Plugs of course. (I only got the super plus, not the iridium. Reason being, my car is an obd1, ie. very old. So its understandable that they didn't have the very new plugs for my very old car.)
and some careful placement with some luck.
(If you have swivel joints or ratchets, things will go a lot smoother.)
Estimated change time - 20-30 minutes (Time may vary)

Now on the engine block, this is the number set up for your cylinders so when you remove the plug wires, you don't get confused which ones go where. Note - You can always look at the coil packs, they have numbers on them to guide you.

5 6
3 4
1 2
Front of Engine

When I talk about the spark plug wires and mention plug, i don't mean the spark plug, i mean the cap at the end of the wire that goes around and onto the spark plugs. Just so you don't get confused.

Lets start with 2,4 and 6. Remove the plug wires. Pull on the plug itself, not the wire. You will rip apart the socket and the wire right out of the plug by trying to yank it out by the cord. You will have to wiggle it around a bit while pulling only because, the plug wont come off unless its completely straight. Once you pull off all 3 wires, now its time for those old corroded plugs to come out and the Bosch to go in.

Take your 1/4 ratchet, your long extension, and your plug socket, put them together and take out number 2 and number 6. After you loosen the plugs, it is usually easier to take the ratchet off and undo it with just the extensions and socket by hand. The reason I said to do these two first, for number 4 you will need to add the shorty extension to the mix so you have wrench space. Pull out your plugs.

Now, take the Bosch plugs and set them in there. Again, without the ratchet, start to tighten up the plugs. When they are all hand tight, put the ratchet back on with the corresponding set up for whichever plug you are tightening. When you tighten them up, just use 2 fingers on the ratchet. You don't want to over tighten these at all. I found doing a 2 finger press makes sure they are in there perfectly. So when your 2 fingers cant tighten them anymore, its good.

Now replace the wires to the spark plugs. When you put the wires back on, listen for a little pop. That signifies that it has mounted the plug properly. Give a tug afterward just to make sure it doesn't pop right back off.

Now for the fun side. The first side took you about 10 minutes didn't it?! Well get ready for about 10 minutes a plug on this side. Here we have 5, 3, and the pain in the neck so much you want to punch a gorilla in the gut and scream "I'M KING KONG!", number 1. You might also want some contortionist lessons. Lastly, this is where the luck you need will take place.

Start by pulling the wires off number 5 and 3. They are pretty easy. Now to get the number 1 off, you will see it has a metal shield. This basically locks it in place to an extent and is fitted on to the plug. You will want the long skinny flat head right about now. Put the 2 fingers on your left hand under the plug. (This is where unnatural body placement comes into place but try all different positions, you'll figure it out.) Next with your right hand, stick the flat head on a grove in the metal shield. Pull back with your fingers and essentially pry with the screwdriver at the same time and it will pop right out. Now that the wire fun is out of the way, don't be sad, there is more fun and tricks for the spark plugs.

Lets start by taking out number 5. Its the easiest. Take your ratchet, the 1 shorty extension and your plug socket and put them all together. Now wrench number 5 loose, unscrew it without the ratchet and pull it out. You only need 1 shorty because the trans fluid dipstick will be in your way if you have an automatic. Number 3 has a trick to it. Add the second shorty extension into the mix. Without the ratchet, place the extensions and socket over the spark plug and make sure it is on nicely. You can try to get it out by hand but most likely wont work for you. Now take your ratchet and place it in the hole on the extension. You may have to turn the fitting on the ratchet head to go in since you cant turn the extension. Also, only about a third of the fitting will go into the extension. The handle should be pointing at you or towards the front of the car. Just give a quick jerk up and it should be loose. Than you unscrew it and pull it out. Lastly we have number 1. Take the same set up your have now, do the same thing, extensions and sockets first on the plug, ratchet after, and pull it out.

Now set your 3 new Bosch plugs in. This is were luck comes into play. 5 and 3 are easy to set in. Number 1 has a crevice right under where the plug goes and with the minimal space, it is difficult to place the plug in without dropping it down there. You can always make this a lot easier on yourself, and put a shop towel in there so it doesn't fall down. I had to flick the plug in place... literally. I had nothing to put into the crevice. How I managed to flick it into place the first time is beyond me, but do yourself a favor, put the shop towel in the crevice. Now, tighten up all your plugs by hand with the corresponding set ups again. Tighten with 2 fingers until snug. All the plug wires go back on easily as well.

Now it took me approximately 45 minutes to change them out because I forgot exactly how to change them in this car. With this guide, you should get done in 20-30 minutes max.

Start up the car, listen to make sure it runs properly and you didn't put the number 1 wire on number 4 somehow and take it for a test drive. Trust me, Bosch will give you a noticeable difference.

Feel free to leave comments. If anyone asks for a video, sorry, but this is why I don't have one. I did originally make one when doing this, but my Ipod died during the recording and it didn't save. I'm not doing this all again to post a video. I will however make sure I have one the next time I need to change them. Which with Bosch, heh, that might be a long while.

If there is any confusion or questions, just ask.

REVIEW :
The Bosch plugs made a very noticeable difference in my Camaro. Honestly, it seemed to run a lot smoother, didn't putter like it used to. Also, I never thought you could consider plugs a power upgrade, but her tires spin on pavement way easier now. I also used to only get around 10mpg, now I get around 19-21mpg. Anyway, the car is smoother, quieter, has a noticeable power response increase and way better gas mileage. BOSCH KNOWS PLUGS! I wish they had the iridium plugs for me. I can only imagine how they do. I thank Bosch very much for supplying me with amazing plugs, I have had many different kinds, but nothing compares.

Last edited by 9434V6; 11-16-2011 at 09:01 PM.