93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

blowing gauges fuse and turn signal fuse.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Default blowing gauges fuse and turn signal fuse.

Okay 2000 3.8. Blows the gauges fuse when the key is turned to the "on" position. Subsequently will not start. Blows the turn signal/back up fuse when signaling for right turns. Has also blown the stop hazard fuse.

The first time it blew the gauges fuse and wouldn't start I skipped the fuse checking step and went straight for the starter. Then when that didn't work I changed the ignition switch. When that didn't work I sent it to the shop and they checked the fuses. (I paid a lot of stupid tax). Since then, however, it has continued to periodically blow that same fuse. Put it back in the shop and the mechanic diagnosed it as the brake light switch. Changed that, and it helped... for a couple days. Same thing again. It was only last night that I realized that every time the turn signal fuse blows it was related to signaling for a right turn. I'm not guessing about that. I have gone over it in my mind and EVERY time that fuse has blown it's been while signaling right.

Is there any chance that the two are connected? Could this be a problem with the turn signal switch? I've heard of similar things happening because of a pinched cruise control wire, but I don't have a problem with the cruise working. I've missed way too many days of work because of this, so any help would leave me eternally in the helpers debt.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

sounds like you have a short in the wiring to the right turnsignal bulb craby should be able to hook you up with a diagnostic diagram maybe try sending him a pm

Old 11-21-2011, 12:17 PM

I've heard that that was a possibility where the turn signal fuse was concerned. Any chance that would account for the gauges fuse too? I can see where there could be a connection since the turn signal indicator shows up in the same area as the all the stuff on the gauges cluster, but I wasn't sure they shared any ACTUAL connection. I'll certainly give it a look.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:51 PM

update: put 25 amp fuse in turn signal slot. (not recommended behavior, I know, but you gotta do what you gotta do.) This enabled me to check my turn signals and my right front signal is not functioning at all. This could be a blown bulb, or bad wiring. I'll go after a new bulb asap. I don't have a reliable jack with me, or else I'd do a more in depth check on the wires themselves. Still not sure if this is going to address the gauges fuse blowing though.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:24 PM

update: Bought bulb and socket. Replaced both. Car is starting again, and has, so far, blown no further fuses. However, I have no right front flash. The rear flashes, and both left lights flash. I'm 99% sure that I hooked the new socket up properly, but to be fair it was not color coded, so wiring the new socket in the same order left to right could possibly be incorrect. The flasher is new, and it's working three out of four lights, so I don't think that's the problem, but it's cheap so I'm willing to try it.