93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Blinking ABS Inop

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Blinking ABS Inop

Hey guys, I just recently (a week ago) bought my first Camaro. It's a 93 3.4.
I was driving it around today and the ABS Inop light started blinking. I parked it, and fired it back up and it was gone. The light just came back on a bit ago, so I'm wondering what it might be. I just had the car aligned, and had the tires balanced and rotated. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh.. First post.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Might be easiest to pull the code from the computer (OBD I might have a pin you short to read it).

Otherwise, these cars have the ABS sensor in the front wheel hubs, so if the hub goes bad, you replace both.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:10 PM
2nd Gear member

Blinking? It was blinking? I haven't seen that before. The ABS INOP on my 94 has been on for literally years and I recently fixed it. The light wasn't blinking though.

You do need to plug in a scan tool to read the ABS codes and datastream.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:37 AM
2nd Gear member

Well, I was pulling into the driveway yesterday and the right sided dropped. Pretty sure its the lower ball joint, but I havent been under there yet.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:50 PM
2nd Gear member

Well, a bad ball joint won't throw an ABS light unless there's really bad vibration in the front end.

It sounds like your ABS wiring, or the wheel bearing is bad. Lift the wheel and pull and push on the bottom of the tire. If it moves and has play the wheel bearing is bad.

If it's not your wheel bearing, then the ABS wiring harness could be corroded and bad. That's an easy fix. Just get a new wiring harness.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:50 AM
2nd Gear member

I, too, was thinking bad wheel bearing but was waiting to hear how the whole balljoint thing played out.
I bad wheel bearing could cause the ABS INOP lamp to blink if the wobbling wheel caused the sensor to short/open/short/open. The OP didn't say whether the flashing was a steady, regular flashing or an irregular flashing. The latter would make me think bad bearing more strongly.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:49 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 1augapfel
I, too, was thinking bad wheel bearing but was waiting to hear how the whole balljoint thing played out.
I bad wheel bearing could cause the ABS INOP lamp to blink if the wobbling wheel caused the sensor to short/open/short/open. The OP didn't say whether the flashing was a steady, regular flashing or an irregular flashing. The latter would make me think bad bearing more strongly.
It's a steady flash, and the wheel has no play. I just got the ball joint on and the car aligned and the only wobbles or noise is when I turn slight left. Light is still coming on though.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:14 AM
2nd Gear member

Was there and noise when you spun the wheel when it was off the ground? If the wheel bearing is ok then the wobble could be an outer or inner tie rod. They can fail when you lose a ball joint. The ABS light could be the sensor which you have to replace the wheel bearing for anyways. Check the wiring harness too for signs of corrosion and cut or exposed wires.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:05 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by mrfreez
Was there and noise when you spun the wheel when it was off the ground? If the wheel bearing is ok then the wobble could be an outer or inner tie rod. They can fail when you lose a ball joint. The ABS light could be the sensor which you have to replace the wheel bearing for anyways. Check the wiring harness too for signs of corrosion and cut or exposed wires.
Havent checked it yet, but now I think my fuel pump is going out. It's hesitating, sounds like it's misfiring, and the fuel pump is whining. Fml.