93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Best Jack Points For Front Of Car? (98 Camaro)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Default Best Jack Points For Front Of Car? (98 Camaro)

Hey guys, I searched and searched and finally gave up. Im trying to change my oil but I just dont want to mess anything up. Where are the best jack points on the front of a 4th gen camaro to jack it up high enough to change the oil? When I bought it, it had a factory ground kit already installed so Im just a bit paranoid. If anyone could help I would be extremly grateful. Otherwise, if theres a topic already on this, if someone could nudge me in the right direction that would be awesome!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:53 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Best Jack Points For Front Of Car? (98 Camaro)

just use ramps.......

Old 11-26-2007, 09:00 PM

I got a 4 ton jack & mounts but no ramps

Old 11-26-2007, 09:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

Get some 2X6 and cut it @ a 45` angle. Drive up onto them and you should than have enough room to get the jack under the car. Jack up under the front cross member. Just remember to leave your car in N and chaulk your rear tires. Cause if you dont, the car will wanna pull itself off the floor jack. Or you can jack it up behind one of the front tires under the lower control arm and do one side @ a time.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

Jack it up on one side & put a jack stand on the frame right behind the wheel. Then jack up the other side & put a jack stand on the frame behind the wheel. Opasite for taking them down.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Chappie99

Get some 2X6 and cut it @ a 45` angle. Drive up onto them and you should than have enough room to get the jack under the car. Jack up under the front cross member. Just remember to leave your car in N and chaulk your rear tires. Cause if you dont, the car will wanna pull itself off the floor jack. Or you can jack it up behind one of the front tires under the lower control arm and do one side @ a time.
I wouldnt trust a set of 2x6's to hold up a 3000lb vehicle. And since my head is larger than the 4 inches of ground clearance the car has... either buy some ramps or properly jack it.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Overdrive Member

He's talking about laying them flat, cutting the ends so you can drive up on them.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Tech Droid

Per the FSM, the factory approved jack points are the plastic waffle pads between the door and the front wheels. There is a label stuck on them stating that this is not the jack point, but the label is placed in the wrong spot. For oil changes I like to use some low rise ramps and a 3' to 4' piece of 2" x 8" lumber flat in front of the ramps. The extra 2" lift before the wheels hit the ramps,keeps the nose of the car from touching the ramps on the way up. I don't like to work under jacks of any type. LOL

Old 11-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Overdrive Member

Check your owner manual, and use a hockey puck (with a jack of course) -- works great, and yes, block the rear tires.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: z28pete

piece of 2" x 8" lumber flat in front of the ramps. The extra 2" lift before the wheels hit the ramps,
The one time I can actually correct Pete...A 2X8 is actually 1 1/2" thick X 7 1/4 " wide. So
the 2" of height is incorrect. When a piece of lumber is rough cut, it is the dementional width of say 2x8. Then after the mill recuts and kiln dries it to structural specs, is when you get your finished size. I work in the lumber industry, thought if anyone ever wondered why the true size isnt what it really is.

Quick Reply: Best Jack Points For Front Of Car? (98 Camaro)