93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Battery always dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 03:47 PM
RiP
Default Battery always dead

Seems every once in a while my battery is dead, At first i figured it was because the car is never driven (almost 10 yrs old with only 40k). But lately its been driven daily. I replaced the battery and had the alt tested and everything seems fine. It does have a pretty big amp, could it be that its drawing too much? (1000 watt Kenwood and duel 12" subs) I have already cleaned all the connections, Battery/alt exc...

I thought about getting a smaller pulley to speed up the rpms on the alt because the car never sees the freeway, Its only driven around town.

I guess what im asking is what size pulley do i need and will the existing belt work?

BTW its a 2000 3.8

Last edited by RiP; 09-07-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Added more information
Old 09-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What did the Alt test to? 1000W is only 83 amps at max. Does it die while you are driving it? Or is it just dead the next day like there is drawing it down overnight? Did you install the amp? is it hooked up right? Could the amp be drawing the battery down over time?

Old 09-07-2009, 04:16 PM
RiP

I dont know what it tested to, It is usually dead after its been sitting, Never died while driving. I checked to see if the amp was on when the car is off and there is no power going to the amp while the car is sitting. It was installed at best buys. Im thinking that the Alternator cant keep up with the draw from the radio/amp/Sat Radio/Air/Daytime lights all at the same time... The guage shows a steady 14mps .... A stock alt is 105 amps i figured that was plenty to run all that

Last edited by RiP; 09-07-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Overdrive Member

the gauge in the dash is volts.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:42 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds to me like you have a draw. If it was your Alt you would have more problems the more you drive. With a draw you have more problems the more it sits. If you try to restart the car once you get home and its fine, but the next morning it won't start thats a draw on the system or a bad battery. Since you battery is new,,,,,,

Old 09-07-2009, 05:57 PM
RiP

The reason why i replaced the battery was because of this issue, The old one was still under warranty so when i told the dude at napa what was going on he just went ahead and swapped it out for me... Yeah 14 volts, thats what i ment to write ...

How would i go about finding out whats drawing on the battery while the car is sitting ?

Im going to go out in a few hours and crank it up to see if the lights dim when i crank up the system... I dont think its been driven after dark in a few years.... I dont know if the problem started after the amp was installed because there were five or six years when the car was only driven about 100 miles a year, And that was just usually to the car wash. And again, it has only been the last four weeks when my son drives it to school daily but its only a few miles each way. The spoiled brat doesnt like it so he drives my truck when he needs to go somewhere else lol...

Last edited by RiP; 09-07-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:16 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What tools do you have? Test light, multi meter, Amp meter that can test for 5+amps?

Talking someone without a electrical back ground thru an electrical problem can be very difficult.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:19 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

One thing you can try tonight. Pull out the glove box light and the lighter. See if it starts ok in the morning. These are two comon issues. You do turn off your Sat radio? My daughter killed year battery like that.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:56 PM
RiP

HAHA Ive owned the car all this time and never knew there was a glove box light .... I pulled the bulb and pulled the lighter. The power lead for the sat isnt even plugged in and hasnt been for a while unless im driving it... Still waighting for it to get dark enough

Bad thing is, Its not dead all the time... My son got out of school friday and it was dead..... he called and i told him ill come get him after wrestling ... when i got there it fired right up ... and has fired up ever since... it may fire up tomorrow but not the next day ... It jucks clicks

I have a test light but thats about all.... As far as electrical tools.... I dont have an electrical background but im pretty handy in the garage... Its just a little intimidating looking under the hood of these newer cars and seeing sooo many wires.... Im old school lol....

Last edited by RiP; 09-07-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:28 PM
4th Gear Member

Could the internal reg on the alt be going bad? You said your son got out of school and it was dead and after wrestling, it fired right up. Don't sound like it is a battery issue.

Quick Reply: Battery always dead