93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

another sick camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Default another sick camaro

hey guys,
ive been reading this page now for about 5 hours off and on ( im at work) ... i have been experienceing a miriad of problems, just to start things off i have a 93 3.4l auto camaro and let me list for you what ive done to the car service wise in the past couple of months...
plugs
wires
ops
tps
cleaned egr passages
"cleaned" iac
both o2's
map
tensioner
coil packs
all 3 filters
ok with that being said, im experiencing moms camaro and vicki's prob with the car shutting off..
except that in the past 2 days.. its been WAY more prominent. now when i start the car.. it starts then dies immediatly as if there where some kind of vacuum leak.. but if i do alittle bit of 2 foot driving for about 20 min or so.. that stops and just continues to run like poo. but its purely intermediate.. sometimes it acts like theres a fit of misfiringat speed, and then its smooth running.. then sometimes im at a stop sign and it runs rough, and sometimes it doesnt. and it varies in intensity of how poor i actually runs. LOL forgive me but at this point its almost a laughable matter. oh yeah ive been getting that bad egr operation code for 3 years, and it hasnt ever run this poorly. im going to pull it into the garage tonight (if it makes it..lol) and check out this infamous cpsdo you guys know if i HAVE to remove the pully to pull this out?
also has anyone stumbled across any helpful info regard these makes and the electrical night mare i seem to be running nto ( im assuming its electrical) thanks in advance guy... and girls
ryan

Old 01-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: another sick camaro

For ****s and grins can you unbolt the exhaust down pipe or disconect it some where before the cat?
I had a dodge in my shop and the dealer had diagnosed it first and said it needed a motor(well that allways goes without saying, Its a dodge!) I got it and finally disconected the cat and it fired right up.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

yes madmike is right, had the same problem with my old thunderbird, i cleaned out the cat and it was workin MUCH better.so in reguard to ur problem....hhhmmm it could be many things.like the computer could be damage or no good, check the relays in both places ( one set under the hood the other right on the side of the driver side), also check on the transmission it could be no good too. check for vacuum leaks, oil leaks, and water leak, now it definetly sounds electrical so like i said check the computer or ecu which is called out.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:15 AM

yeah about that i can tell you for sure the cat is not plugged, i cant tell you why, <wink wink> but its not lol

Old 01-10-2007, 12:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Is your check engine light on? What's the mileage?....Your timing chain maybe going ( it's rare..but not uncommon )

Old 01-10-2007, 01:54 PM

164,000 MILES, yes the light comes on but only after passing about 60 mph and releasing throttle, till rpms hit about 2000 while around 60 mph ( egr valve not operating correctly) and those are the only codes i can retreive. the thing about it is... for instance this morning on the way to work it ran beautifully, not ticks bangs stutters... nothing!... but yeserday.. it ran like poo, off and on.. it is by no means a consistant problem, other than the fact it is consistantly inconsistant..lol.. wow i just confused myself..lol..
anyhow, it sems to be some sort of electrical issue.. it does feel as if the Timing is slipping.. but on these cars the timing is controlled by varying factors.. i.e temperature sensor, o2 sensors, cranks sensor, etc. thus the reason i have ended up replacing much of these items. i too thought it was a timing issue..

what has led me to believe it is an electrical issue is this...
last week i pulled the car into the garage... turned her off... and went to close the garage door, realizing i hadnt pulled into the garage far enough i went to start her back up to pull it in alittle more and.... NOTHING.. lights worked etc. but no solonoid click no starter spin nothing.. but lights etc worked.. what had happened was the security system i didnt know i even had, had engaged.. thus showing me the security light on the dash. i dont know how to turn it off so i just reset the comp, by removing the terminals for about 30 seconds and reattaching and that did it.. ive been hunting loose wires and etc. but everytime i do the car leaves me scratching my head..lol..
wow sorry this was so long.. but heh... this is a LONG ongoing conflict between me and the 'maro.
ryan

Old 01-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Tech Droid

The security system will not make the car run bad, it just keeps it from starting. Have you done a pressure test of your exhaust to see if the cat is clogged?? A clogged cat will make the car run in fits & spurts, kill the EGR and O2 sensors.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:29 PM

ok, ... the car has no catalytic converter.. there!!! lol i said it... the cat is not plugged... because..... there isnt one...lol... but like i originally stated.. this car has ALOT of issues that all seem to stem from some sort of electrical issue.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

well like i said take the car in to a shop and ask to check on the ecu it may be sending wrong signals to the car. did u check all relays

Old 01-10-2007, 06:28 PM

rob,
yeah all the relays have been checked and the ecu was reflashed about a year ago. a buddy of mine in the industry pulled some strings for me at the dealership. if it has a conncection, or can be unplugged, or removed and replaced it pretty much has been... except the actual wiring harness itself.. the first and last car i put a new harness in was my 73 cutlass s 455, and i swear to you.. ill never do another one.. i cant even imagine trying to run it on a computer controlled vehicle... unless of course the car were completely gutted.. which come to think of.. may not be too far down the road..lol.. thanks guys for all your help.. i think im gonna have to actually buy another car soon and pull the old beast into the shed for some serious r and r.. ill pull the motor rebuild it and the tranny.. and while im at it might as well start her back off from scratch, new suspension, and hell i guess ill have to fabricate me a new hood or something cause that t3/t4 hybrid turbo is looking REAL nice..lol.. PIPE DREAMIN' -ryan

Quick Reply: another sick camaro