93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

AirBag to Grant Challenger Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default AirBag to Grant Challenger Steering Wheel

Hey Guys Im trying to swap out my stock steering wheel with a grant challenger wheel. I saw a post someone had put up on some site and so i would like to do it also. I got the wheel and the kit it said to use but when i go to put the adaptor or hub on i cant get it to slide on and down all the way. Does anyone know what kit im suppossed to use? I have a base 02 camaro. I dont remember what kit i bought i returned it when i found out it didnt fit and have put it off. My wheel has become an ornament on my wall. LOL Not exactly what i bought it for. Any info and help is greatly appreciated. thanks

Grant Challenger 414 Steering Wheel (Black)

Old 01-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

I can't even say for sure if Grant makes the proper kit to mount their wheel on the newer style columns because most people dont remove the air bag wheels. it might even be against the law. I would do some more searching before you start digging in. Just a thought. Good luck!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

Ok I was so curious by your post I went ahead and searched it myself. There are a few people out there with the grant wheels but it requires more than just the regular parts. you need to wire in resistors and modify the hub. heres a link to what I found-

http://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance...-legality.html

Old 01-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think it is against the law for someone who is a pro to do this type of work but I think you can do this to your own car. A few years several TV show garages got nailed with huge fines for swaping wheels out.

I do not think you can be fined but when you sell it make sure you either put it back or if you sell it to a private party you get them to sign something say they know the car is lacking a air bag. Do not accept a verbal ok, if he/she gets killed you will be dealing a pissed off family not the guy that bought it.

Of course you should ask a local inspection mechainc and maybe a cop. Local laws do vary. I love the look of that wheel but working at a dealership for 7 years pre airbags I have seen enough bloody windshield. I do not love it that much.

Last edited by Gorn; 01-07-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

it is 100% illegal to remove safety features such as the air bags... say you let your buddy drive your car and he wrecks it and theres no bag he smashes his head on the wheel and needs surgery your car insurance will not cover it even if you wreck the car and get hurt you insurance wont cover it

Old 01-07-2012, 09:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Its legal here in texas. Ive had it inspected with my airbag light on. Ive cut the airbag wire and pulled it out. But yeah im hoping someone here has done this successfully to tell me wat i need to use and wat to do.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

i just posted the link that you need to read a few posts back. you need to modify the part and wire in some resistors. look up a couple posts and click the link!!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think we are confusing liability and illegal. Anytime you do something that could be dangerous to some extent you are liable. You build a really fast car and some kid buys it and kills a bunch of people because it was too fast, that could blow back on you. It very unlikely because it’s a common upgrade and they would have to prove that the kid and his guardian had no way of knowing the car was fast.

A better example is if you buy a totaled car. You repair it the best you can go thru the inspections process and drive it for a few years then sell it. Then something fails because it was not repaired right. Your layer would just claim you did not know and the title showed it was reconstructed. But if a body shop did the repair a person could assume the repair was done correctly and the shop would have to prove it was not their repair that caused an issue or that the repair was to industry standards and the car was abused.
The government has decided to be proactive and since cars are required to have safety items new no pro can accept money to remove them. Honestly I think it helps the small garage owners. You would be amazed at how many people want stuff disconnected. Before you had to balance “the customer is always right” with “that is just stupid”. Now the shop owners can simply say, “that is not legal”.

Imagine if it was illegal to modify your cars for safety reasons. The list of things drag racers do to their cars that reduce the road safety is pretty long: Removing sway bars, backing off brake adjustment, line locks, lighter shocks in the front, near slicks on the road, smaller tires in the front, on and on, and those safety items can cause a wreck that hurts other people your air bag just protects you in a wreck. Heck you could even argue that a roll cage is not safe on the road. Ya it will protect you but the car will no longer crumble and absorb energy so someone hitting you could get hurt because you modified your car.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok so screw everything else. this post is mainly to get info on how to swap out the airbag steering wheel with a grant one that does not have an airbag. i dont care about if its legal or not legal ive done my homework on that. and i also dont care about wiring in resistors to get the dang airbag lite off. i like it shining in my face. i need to know what kit to use!!! ive heard 3196, 5196. looking online i found a kit that says 1967-2002 for grant wheels p/n #715358. i have used one kit already and i believe it was 3196 but the pos did not fit. so that is my problem. i want to try #715358 but its about 30 bucks. if someone has successfully used an adaptor post a reply. i checked the post above saying to use 3196 and to shave off 1/4 in off something. idk. but please dont bother me anymore with any safety topics.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Ask chaotic94 he just put on in his car

Quick Reply: AirBag to Grant Challenger Steering Wheel