93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

advance auto crap!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default advance auto crap!!!!

So I have been trying to diagnose a problem I've been having with my camaro. Runs kinda crappy. Seems almost like a misdirected just a bit only all cylinders are getting spark. And fuel and compression is good. Upon doing a spark test noticed that the passenger side plugs all had nice blue spark. Drivers side had Orange spark. I went. And bought an ignition module from advance auto parts for 100 dollars and it didn't work a bit. None of my plugs sparked at all with that new bwd brand ignition module from advance auto parts. Crappy thing is I've had problems with their relays and modules in the past, I guess they just carry crappy for electronics. Any one ever had the weak spark on one entire side before. Let me know your solution

Old 01-20-2011, 07:35 AM
2nd Gear member

Sounds like the coil packs if you're getting weak spark. Take the boots off and check the terminals. As for the car running badly, you could also have a plugged cat.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check all your connections to the coils, also check your fuses for bad connections. not very good odds on all three coil packs goin bad on one side but im sure its possible. you could have them tested at a local parts place. did you take the ignition module back?

Last edited by craby; 01-20-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Overdrive Member

BWD is prolly the best aftermarket brand when it comes to replacement parts. If you were getting spark then the module would not have been the issue, it will work or not. Aso for the color of the spark that has more to do with temp, humidity and atmospheric conditions than power. You will also have to consider that the pass side plugs are going through longer wires and that will have some effect on the actual spark itself. I would consider what MrFreez said and check out the cat.

Massey

Old 01-21-2011, 01:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Bwd was the brand from advance auto parts. It's not the first time I bought a bwd brand electronic and it either didn't work or failed shortly after. I did have Spark from my original ignition module. When I put the new one on it didn't work at all. I got one from Oriely the brand is master pro. There's did work although I still had my problem. While watching the motor idle I heard a slight ratle. Noticed my passenger side o2 sensor was loose vibrating. Now I recently bought this car and haven't touched that o2 sensor. But that was my problem. I tightened it back up and now everything is running awsome.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:05 AM
4th Gear Member

I have never had issues with anything I bought from Advance except their batteries. Brand new battery with dead cell. They have always had pretty good customer service here.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yea they have good customer service. Just don't like the brand of electronics that they carry. I've had some a fuel relay on my truck that went bad replaced it with bwd brand from advance auto and it was faulty within abfew days, warrantied it, and it went bad again, I went to Oriely and it never went bad again, replaced the ignition control module as well as the coil, again bwd brand, lasted about 2 or so weeks then went bad, also I warrantied and again within a few weeks it went bad, went to Oriely and got theres, never went bad again. Those to times the problem was the heat, those parts just couldn't hold up to engine temperature for long.