93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

acceleration issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Default acceleration issue

I own a 96 V6 3.8L camaro. I started driving yesterday and everything was fine the first 2 mins, then my car started to loose acceleration. So i pulled over turned the car off and recranked the car and it would bearly move, I could floor the gas and mabey get to 30mph and only in first gear, it wouldn't shift into second gear. So today I tried driving it again and it will shift out of first but I can only get my car to reach about 40mph still with the gas floored. My check engine light is on but I found out thats because of my EGR needs to be replaced and ive known that for about a month now and this started yesterday. My ABS light is on also and this light is new noticed it today msbey that has somthing to do with it. When I try driving it smoke comes from my hood also might be the breaks locked up I dont know, only happens after a few mins not right away. so hope some one can point me in the right direction, thanks ahead of time. my car was also hit the other day by another car while it was parked, not a lot of damage only hit on the back passenger side between the tire and the door.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

step one: replace egr.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:33 PM

i know the EGR needs fixing but that shouldn't be why the ABS light is on now and its not driving, ive been driving with the EGR problem for about a month now and i need the car running

Old 01-15-2012, 09:37 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

maybe your imagining all of this because your stoned... lol just kidding i smoke too

get your car scanned again maybe something else popped up (i assume you had it scanned a month ago and not again)

Old 01-16-2012, 01:46 AM

did u check if ur empty on coolant?

Old 01-16-2012, 05:22 PM

coolent lvl is fine and the cars not running hot from what the guage says, I probly need to get the car rescanned but i cant drive it there so im at a loss for words. I also cant see any transmission problems at 93,000 miles with regular tune ups

Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 AM
3rd Gear Member

Your catalytic convertor might be clogged up. Which would also cause smoke from under the hood. Start the car up and see if there's much pressure coming out of the exhaust pipe. If it's really faint the shut the car off and remove the o2 sensor before the cat and see if you can take it past the speeds that your being limited to. If you still have problems then it's most likely your torque converter that's smoking up.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 PM

another quick thing is when i start driving it, its fine but as soon as i let off the gas and try to re accelerate it starts doing the above and the top speed goes down the more i let off the gas and just normal apply pressure back on the gas. thanks for the coment btw 3800camaro ill try that.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:57 PM

removed the o2 sensor didn't work just assuming the worst now.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

Have it scanned. Really need to know if it's just the egr code or not. Another thing you could try is disconnect the egr from the intake and put a small peice of tin over the hole and reconnect the egr to hold it in place to see if it's really the egr causing all those problems. I really can't see it being the egr causing such a headache like that.

Also does the engine sound like it's slowly dieing as you try to drive it? If so it could just be a really badly clogged cat.

Quick Reply: acceleration issue