93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

abs inop and air bag lights are on but wont go off

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Angry abs inop and air bag lights are on but wont go off

ok, heres the problem i have a 1995 Camaro 3.4l and it has gave me hell since the day i got it 2 years ago, my main problem has been cooling issues. but i have a inlet pipe that is located just below the intake manifold that is leaking antifreeze ( i have replaced this 2 times already). and this third time my abs inop lights stays on, and so does my air bag light. someone please explain this before i strike a match to the car...

Old 01-18-2011, 12:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, my first question would be... is the "pipe" you are talking about a pipe or tubing? If it is tubing you might either be getting the wrong size.... or just not getting it to seal right. If it is a pipe.... it might be that a gasket has gone and that needs replacing too. But I would assume its tubing. As for the lights.... I have the same problem... It isn't too big of a deal, unless you really need your traction control to work. There is another thread on here somewhere addressing the light issue, but I can't remember which one it is.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Just re-read your post..... didn't get it the first time... if it is under the manifold it would be a pipe wouldn't it.... hmmm.... Only thing I could think of your be a gasket.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear member

From where it's leaking are you sure it's the hose? It can appear to look that way but it could be the timing cover gasket. I had to do mine last summer. It's common with these cars.
As for ABS, it's either a bad wheel bearing, or the sensor that connects to the hub has a broken wire. If it's the sensor, then you have to replace the wheel bearing which is inside the wheel bearing. Check for play in the wheels on a hoist or jack up each rear wheel. Also, if you hear a grinding noise from the rear it is a sign of a bad bearing.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:08 PM

It is a hose, and my wheel bearings are fine. im just thinking its time to trade it in for a newer model... lol

Old 01-20-2011, 10:21 PM
2nd Gear member

If the bearings are fine then it's either the ABS wire that could be cut, or the connector is corroded. It could be the sensor in the bearing that's gone even though the whell bearing is fine.
If it's the hose, get a tighter clamp on the hose or add 2 clamps. Check for cracks or cuts in the hose too.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

MrFreez, I don't know why the bearing has anything to do with the electrical part of the car, since it is inside the axle and is connected in no way to any sensors. There are no sensors in the bearings. Lol. I just replaced my bearings yesterday.... tried to go with an aftermarket fit so that the bearing rode on a different part of the wheel, but alas it would not fit...... stupid aftermarket...... anyway, ended up putting the OEM parts back in.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Tech Droid

If your car has ABS, then there should be wires going from the front wheel bearings to the ABS module. The ABS sensor is part of the wheel bearing assembly and is internal to the bearing housing. If you want to get rid of the lights it would be best to get the car scanned with an ABS and Air Bag scanner. If you are sure that there are no wires to the front bearings, then either they wer removed, or the car came without ABS and has the wrong PCM installed. Also check the third brake light for bad bulbs. As it stands you have no ABS function and the air bags don't work, so make sure you at least use the seat belts.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:11 PM
2nd Gear member

I must be thinking about the newer FWD cars!

Originally Posted by z28?SS?
MrFreez, I don't know why the bearing has anything to do with the electrical part of the car, since it is inside the axle and is connected in no way to any sensors. There are no sensors in the bearings. Lol. I just replaced my bearings yesterday.... tried to go with an aftermarket fit so that the bearing rode on a different part of the wheel, but alas it would not fit...... stupid aftermarket...... anyway, ended up putting the OEM parts back in.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, I guess I was only talking about the rear wheel bearings.... I guess I haven't really looked at the front ones. Foot in Mouth here. :P

Quick Reply: abs inop and air bag lights are on but wont go off