93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

ABS & Electrical Issues on 2000 Cammy

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 02:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default ABS & Electrical Issues on 2000 Cammy

What up fellas! Im Chris,CJ if your a lazy pronouncer LoL.. This is my first time here on the forums and hopefully I get to gel with most of yall,cause I already like the site cause Im definitely here to stay! Bet on it

So alright boys,I currently own a 2000 6-banger camaro,5-speed. I've been the happy 3rd owner of it for 2 weeks. The car has a rebuilt title.I got it for a decent price,the instrument cluster looked like a christmas tree,but i've been bettering it till now...

Issue #1 - Car has to have a main electrical issue. The turn indicators work for 3 flashes and blow the fuse,I bought 2 different flasher relays to make sure its not a faulty flasher. Well the first one I bought started melting on the cover,I saw a hella lot of smoke coming out from under dash,Im like oh snap.So ya i turn off car and it was that melting down there. I then so installed the other one and bam bam blowing fuses once you put em in. It uses a 20 fuse and I've tried all way up to 40 and blows it.So I gave up on fixing it myself.

Issue #2 - The other day I floor it abit about 60 open road and a F150 came outta the street without completely braking and left the truck in the median im like what the hell cross!!! He didn't,he had both lanes blocked,So I mildly slammed the brakes and hey i did 3 donuts all over the road,thank god I had no car trailing. It brought me back memories from an accident I had racing..So now Im really worried about the ABS,because I researched and wow,the ABS system is something else.
I have noticed the Brake & ABS INOP lights turn on at the same time and turn off at the same time! So Im like wait I gotta test this myself and guess what fellas,when the lights are not turned on the ABS is under full perfect operation. I slammed the brakes @ 35 with the lights on and I did a 180. So something has to be faulting here. I changed the front brake pads 2 days ago and same issue persists.

Issue # 3 - The aftermarket radio turns on when I hit a bump or when I punch the side of the radio console and then shuts off. Maybe there is a connection with some kind of short with the other two things that are going on? Sorry if i sound ignorant here, Im just throwing a seed out there.

Issue # 4 - The car was sitting for months by the previous owner.The water on the motor was discusting,I drove it like that for 3 days no issue.Then i did a radiator flush.We fill motor with water and coolant and you can hear the car bubbling and temp was high as hell. We reflushed it with clean water and vu ja,no heating! Well some days ago I did another clean water flush and same issue it bubbled and heated,until I reflushed ti again with clean water. So im thinking maybe a bad radiator with bad circulation or a bad thermostat.. I live down here in Florida its been hot as hell and coldest we get is 40F,no need for thermo imo.

I just came from Autozone and got this OBD-II CODES-
P0174-System too lean (Lean 2),P0306-Cylinder 6 Misfire,P0420(Twice),P0442 Evap Emission Control Small Leak (I Changed gas cap to keyed gas cap,maybe is this.)

So yea fellas,I really do like the car.This is what I wanted before ever owning two mustangs l0l long story 4 later.I wanna keep this car and upgrade to a Z28/SS in the next year but the only thing that is keeping me dissapointed is the damn ABS issue, I want a reliable safe car...

Old 04-06-2011, 03:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ok issue #1 sounds like a short in your wiring.
Issue #2 sounds like a sticky caliper.
Issue #3 sounds like a bcm problem.
Welcome to the forum!!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 3800camaro
Ok issue #1 sounds like a short in your wiring.
Issue #2 sounds like a sticky caliper.
Issue #3 sounds like a bcm problem.
Welcome to the forum!!
Alright appreciate your assistance! Issue #1,I will take to an electrician.Issue # 2, I sincerly need advice on what to do here.My understanding is that one caliper might be squeezing more than the other one but I don't get if this is also the cause of the ABS system tripping..?

As for issue #3, awesome probably quick fix. I already found a thread dedicated to bad BCM,its very common in our cars .

Old 04-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Overdrive Member

I was gonna mention the BCM issue but I am too late. Follow the instructions I left there and your radio should be good to go.

Issue #1... If you dont know much about auto electrical then yes leave that to the professionals. You can have a quick car-b-que if you mess something up.

Brakes sound to me like a messed up caliper as well. When your car spun did it spin the same direction both times? Also under normal braking does the car want to pull to the same side? If you answered yes then replace the calipers. Also if you are low on fluid you will get the brake and ABS lights on at the same time. Anytime the brake warning light is on you get the ABS light as well.

The P0306 could be a few things, coil, wire, plug, injector. Start with the simple and inspect the wire, if you dont know when the last tune up was it would not hurt to invest in new wires and 6 double platinum or Iridium plugs (iridium were oem)

The too lean could be a clogged injector which could also cause the missfire code as well. get some Lucas Fuel injection cleaner (big bottle) and run about 6 oz through the tank on every fill up and see if that helps.

Massey

Old 04-07-2011, 03:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Massey
I was gonna mention the BCM issue but I am too late. Follow the instructions I left there and your radio should be good to go.

Issue #1... If you dont know much about auto electrical then yes leave that to the professionals. You can have a quick car-b-que if you mess something up.

Brakes sound to me like a messed up caliper as well. When your car spun did it spin the same direction both times? Also under normal braking does the car want to pull to the same side? If you answered yes then replace the calipers. Also if you are low on fluid you will get the brake and ABS lights on at the same time. Anytime the brake warning light is on you get the ABS light as well.

The P0306 could be a few things, coil, wire, plug, injector. Start with the simple and inspect the wire, if you dont know when the last tune up was it would not hurt to invest in new wires and 6 double platinum or Iridium plugs (iridium were oem)

The too lean could be a clogged injector which could also cause the missfire code as well. get some Lucas Fuel injection cleaner (big bottle) and run about 6 oz through the tank on every fill up and see if that helps.

Massey
LoL ya I hear ya,Tho I love messing with cables & im confident when I do. I don't have the guts to play here since I don't really know alot about electronics only -/+ & some, so I'd rather not run my luck out & set my front yard & cammy ablaze .

About the brakes yes indeed it pulled to the same side,matter of fact I did it today to show my brother so that be 3/3. The tail kicks to the left then nose shifts to the right. / <-- Like that. If you mean by normal conditions when abs is not working and im braking normal? Then not really I havent noticed no imparity to either side. Fluid is at level. So I should replace both front calipers than?

Alright than,Interesting, I will get on top of all that as soon as I get my paycheck! I really appreciate your help so much! Thanks .. - CJ

Old 04-07-2011, 05:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

My question is what side was it hit on since it's got rebuilt status? Might just be air in the left side if that's where it got hit. I'd check what Ever side out that was damaged and see if there's anything wrong there for electrical issues. And for the heat problem did you flush out the heater core? Try flushing it out and then flush out your block as well. Hook your water hose up to the upper rad hose where your t stat is and unhook the lower hose and just blast it with water. For the radiator fill it up and the let it pour out of the lower inlet. Then after all the Put in a new t stat and check out your water pump and possible replace it.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Overdrive Member

Oh yea I forgot to add about the overheading. There is a little purge valve on the T-stat housing. Take the radiator cap off. Start the engine and get it up to temp then open that valve and let the steam out. Watch the coolant level it will drop as the steam vents. GM says do this 5 times but I do it till only coolant comes out of the vent.

Massey

Old 04-21-2011, 12:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

^^ Hey Guys thanks for the extra help,I've been so busy working and stressed with the car that damn I though of selling it for a second but naw since my family has been around the car business people really wanna lowball you when the car is a rebuilt so I'd rather keep my whip,ride er out till where ever she takes me.

@ 3800Camaro, Yo dude guess what I made a super interesting discovery on my car...I noticed the right door outside had a half an inch chip on the lower part and theres a red coat behind the black and im like what?.. So I go around the car and inside,fenders and rer bumper looking for signs of maybe car was red,nope,im like huh pretty interesting whatever.
So Im cleaning my car la la la and well I noticed the lower rug on the inside of the right door didn't match the left one nor rest of the car.How I didn't notice before lol no idea ... But well its a light gray on the passenger door while the left is a dark grey! Plus the pass. door is missing the window **** and the mirror glass is stuck (Junk Yard Door!!!). So no noubt the right side was the one that most likely took the nasty impact. So buddy what can that say about my electrical problem if anything since my car is all manual controlled?

@ Massey, Car temp has been awesome. Just that the water is nasty nasty dirt like,I bought a GM Dex-App 50/50 & 3 Gallons of drinking water since filtered water apparently doesn't rust as much as it's counter-part.I haven't attended this issue yet because Im in a bigger issue right now .

Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Thumbs down

To my brake problems... I found out my rear right tire is a 225/65/16 compared to the rest which are of 225/60/16 dimensions.Aside from that my left front tire is installed incorrectly,the sidewalls are flipped,the outsidewall is towards the inside!
I had bought wd-40 like someone here told me and spray it on the calipers,well I took out my left wheel and the caliper was gone! It'll only push one cylinder out,i replaced it and cleaned the sensor behind the rotor with MAF cleaner since it was pretty dirty outside. Now my Abs and brake light do not go away at all!!! On Constant non-stop. I would have to check the right front caliper and then the rears if anything but still I though I had that problem solved but nope... So what guys!?!?

Last edited by CheVy_R0aRrR; 04-21-2011 at 04:26 PM.