93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

99 Camaro Blinker Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Default 99 Camaro Blinker Trouble

So, my front left blinker went out the other day, and inside my car the left blinker arrow holds solide green. So i changed the bulb first. Didn't work. I cut the two wires to the bulb socket inside the engine bay, and wired up a new socket. Didn't work. I replaced the left blinker relay under the steering column. Didn't work. Finally, i tested the leads from the two wires inside the engine bay and got no voltage. Though, when i tested the to two contacts on the new relay, i got a voltage jump between the power wire and chassis ground, but nothing between the power wire and relay ground. Is there anything else, simple, that i have missed?? Already fixed bulb, socket, and relay.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:56 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: 99 Camaro Blinker Trouble

Try the bulb on the opposite end of the car. Easily overlooked.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:19 PM

Okay, I checked the back left blinker and it too is holding solid. I also checked the fuses and none of them are blown. I'm somewhat at a loss with the whole not getting power in the engine cab.. Are there any fuses between the engine cab and the fuse box?

Old 05-20-2007, 07:37 AM
4th Gear Member

i had this prob on my 98 malibu. it turned out that the left turn arrow in my dash was canstantly on, so i get out and the front and rear is lit. so theres little turning lights in the sides of the front bumper and sure enough the two wires were corroded together on the left side. so i cut and redid the wiring to the socket and it was all fine. i didnt even need a bulb................

Old 05-20-2007, 02:06 PM

My front left blinker is not getting any power at all, so only the back left blinker is holding solid. The only corrosion was in the bulb socket which I replaced and it's still not working.

Do you know where I can find an electrical schematic for a 99 camaro? Maybe online?

Old 05-20-2007, 02:49 PM

Also, i need two things. I need to know how to change the blinker switch found in the steering column. I read on here and a lot of people say that's what could be wrong. Second, i need to know if having a "headlight" bulb out, will affect my "blinker". Because my front right headlight bulb is out, but it's my front left blinker that is messed up. SO, i need to know 1.) Where the blinker switch in the steering column is.
2.) If a blown headlight will disable a blinker.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:52 PM
2nd Gear member

The blinker switch is the combination cruise control switch. It's not a fun task to take on. It involves removing the SRS unit, steering wheel, and partially disassembling the steering column. I'd suggest you purchase a Chilton's manual and do some thorough reading. I'd also try to get my hands on a vehicle exterior lighting diagram to possible trace the wires for any breaks or shorts.

And no, a broken headlight will not affect signal lamps.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:57 PM
3rd Gear Member

I had the same problem, I just flushed my blinker fluid resivoir and I was good to go. Yours might just be empty.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear member

Very possible. Be sure to check the gears for abnormal wear, such as missing or scarred teeth.

And there you have it, the Peanut Gallery speaks.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

lol, sorry, there is actually an article written about changing blinker fluid...I did have a problem with my left indicator light several years ago but it was an easy fix. I hope you rectify the situation with out much more trouble Dangrousdave20. And have a laugh usarmyrangrs....it wont kill you.

Quick Reply: 99 Camaro Blinker Trouble