93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

98 Camaro for son?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I agree. Me and the wife have a 2000 (3.8) as an extra car and we bought some Trans Am WS6 polished aluminum wheels and tires off Craigslist and did a Flowmasters dual exhaust and the car looks amazing. We didn't gain any hp but it looks like it has 400 hp with the wheels and exhaust. LOL. I wouldn't worry about any more power. Do something to enhance the looks. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by New2Camaro; 08-29-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:10 AM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director

wow, seems to be a lot of hesitance to help this guy find more power out for his son. i am looking to make some more power out of my sixer, and thought reading this thread would help some. i say, build it for more power and it's awesome that you are giving him a car that looks cool and that will have some power behind it. i dunno, a 22 or 24 year old can't handle 250+HP? i know around here there are plenty of kids who drive import cars putting out much more than that. doesn't seem to make to much of a difference if it is a 300HP domestic or import, or a 150Hp domestic or import, they crash just the same. build if for fun and like you said, he's accountable and has earned it, let him enjoy it.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i just bought my z28 about a month ago as my first car. before that my dad "allowed" me to drive his truck. it wasnt "my" car, and he never "gave" it to me. ironically, im grateful for that. its annoying seeing kids' parents by them nice cars. i say if you're gonna get them a car, buy them a 500 dollar honda pos and let them ride it till its dead. nothing like learning the value of hard work and the dollar

Old 09-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 6.5 Detroit TD
wow, seems to be a lot of hesitance to help this guy find more power out for his son. i am looking to make some more power out of my sixer, and thought reading this thread would help some. i say, build it for more power and it's awesome that you are giving him a car that looks cool and that will have some power behind it. i dunno, a 22 or 24 year old can't handle 250+HP? i know around here there are plenty of kids who drive import cars putting out much more than that. doesn't seem to make to much of a difference if it is a 300HP domestic or import, or a 150Hp domestic or import, they crash just the same. build if for fun and like you said, he's accountable and has earned it, let him enjoy it.

He did say his son was only 15, He also said he had a limited budget. There is not a lot of hidden power in these motors it either take a huge investment in time or a huge investment in bank. With his budget he was not going to get much over 220 HP anyway. I know its hard to believe but there are some people who want a car that looks good more then they want a car that is fast. If the boy comes here in 6 months to a year and asks about mods he will not get the same reaction.

I know as a father I will not increase the HP of my sons car, I will help him if he asks but I will not push the matter.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:28 AM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director

fair enough, lol. not trying to pick a fight, just seemed like there wasn't much effort to help him out. i had to earn all my own vehicles, and i did appreciate them, but there is no way i would have turned down a present from my dad

Old 09-01-2009, 11:18 AM
1st Gear Member

k maybe this is just me bein the dumb arrogant kid but all this talk of not letting kids or even guys around my age (20) drive cars with 200+ HP kinda irritates me. i know im not the most mature driver and ya i have my dumb moments but even in those moments i would nvr do anythin to hurt my car and i know how to control it...i have alot of effort time and money in my baby and to do anythin to endanger that is beyond me...so ya give ur kid a car but make him appreciate it and personally if my dad would have given me a camaro i would have been that much more careful with it knowing what it meant to him and me rather than not caring at all bout the pos civic i got and totalled...just my input

Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 AM
2nd Gear member

im 18 and just got in a car accident in my 3.4. It was teal and personally the coolest color from the factory. If i would of had a v8 i would be so mad and out of more money. Now im just tryin to get a new car that my mom and dad will let me have cuz now insurance is gonna be higher and im goin to have a non-running camaro in my garage for who knows when. So even if you do put a ton of work in it i would keep to the look and sound of the car before any extensive work until your son feels like buying the stuff himself.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by pedwards3x
k maybe this is just me bein the dumb arrogant kid but all this talk of not letting kids or even guys around my age (20) drive cars with 200+ HP kinda irritates me. i know im not the most mature driver and ya i have my dumb moments but even in those moments i would nvr do anythin to hurt my car and i know how to control it...i have alot of effort time and money in my baby and to do anythin to endanger that is beyond me...so ya give ur kid a car but make him appreciate it and personally if my dad would have given me a camaro i would have been that much more careful with it knowing what it meant to him and me rather than not caring at all bout the pos civic i got and totalled...just my input

im 18 and my z28 has 285 hp stock. i feel responsible about my driving, and so did my dad when I bought MY car.....but my friends that are around the same age? i cant even recall all the stupid tickets, accidents, FLIPS, that they've done in their cars. all of those cars that their parents bought them. what makes you think a kid will truly appreciate something that they did not put their own money and hard work into? my friends didnt.