93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

98 Camaro Cold Start Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Default RE: 98 Camaro Cold Start Issues

Sooo my mechanic shop has finally determined the plug wires have holes in them... a month later... from when we started this... now that ive spent all my money chasing ghosts... fantastic.

Thanks to all who replied.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:14 AM

so again we replace the starter, spark plugs again, new wires, cleaned all the sensors, took out the K&N and put a stock air filter back in...

and still the same problems.

Anyone wanna buy a Camaro!?

Old 12-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Overdrive Member

The gas covered plugs may be your clue that gas isn't being burned fully, check to see if you are getting a good spark at the coil pack terminals. Maybe coil pack(s) are failing?

Did u check the other things in my last post, and check the sensors mentioned by another in this thread?!

ORIGINAL: katastr0phical1

Allllll right. Got the sparks and such changed out at 6pm. I just tried starting it at 11:30pm and it's already back to it's old self, choking, popping, dying, cranking, and having to get it warm.. then it was fine all the way to town and back.

The plugs we pulled out were pretty nasty and fairly gas covered..

..but in the end appears not to be the answer.

Neeexxxxxtttt?

Old 12-14-2008, 10:34 AM

Checked and replaced nearly every damn sensor in this car. THe only one that was not changed was maf.

It gets tons of spark and fires right up now, and once you get it warm, the car drives like a dream. Something about it sitting for 7 hours overnight causes it to go back to choking. Now that we've changed everything it definately doesn't take as long for it to get warm and drive right, but it's still a good 4-5 minute process.

You can get it started and keep it revving and slam it in gear and take off and it almost seems that the gas pedal has very little influence sometimes. It's definately going, but it jerks and tries to die and catches (providing your foot has the pedal down) but you let it jerk you up and down the street for a minute with it popping and backfiring, and after a minute or two it seems like it just straightens itself out and it's golden.

I can do that in the morning (7:50a) and get to work at 8, park it til lunch 12:30 and it will fire right up. Drive to lunch, come back, park it, leave it til 5:30 and it will fire right up. Take it home and then I could still fire it at midnight or 1..... but come 7 am...back to crap.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Overdrive Member

In other words, still no fuel pressure & injector check?

Old 12-15-2008, 08:12 AM

They checked fuel pressure when they replaced the fuel filter.

The injectors were fine. They've basically taken apart and reassembled the engine.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Overdrive Member

Did you try testing to see if you could rule the MAF out? Someone had said, and I agree, unplug the MAF, and start it up. If it runs the same way, it is more than likely not the MAF. If it gets better, than it is probably your culprit.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:59 PM

Did, runs the same. Not MAF.

They are getting two more days with it and i'm effing done with it.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Overdrive Member

Have you sprayed the throttle body to ensure the butterfly valve is not gummed up and varnished?

Old 12-17-2008, 04:51 PM

Yes, checked and cleaned thbody. All is good.

Everything within spec on every computer system you can hook to it. It just hates being cold, but still gives prefect readings.I've gotten 3 different mechs to tell me the next step is replacing the PCM.

I'm done.. it's been too much trouble. Great first Camaro experience for sure.

Thanks all.

-B

Quick Reply: 98 Camaro Cold Start Issues