93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

98 Camaro 3.8 starting issue. Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Default 98 Camaro 3.8 starting issue. Help please!

I have a 1998 3.8 Camaro that is giving my intermittent starting problems for the last couple of weeks. I'm hoping someone here could shed some light on my issue or turn me toward a direction that would help.
About a week and a half ago my car started giving me a hard time when trying to start. It would try to start and the battery seemed strong so that ruled out the battery or the starter for me. This wasn't happening all the time and it was very sporadic. There were not any error codes to report so that is why I am having such a hard time finding what is wrong. When the car starts it runs fine. No loss of power or acceleration...car rides like a dream.
I finally took that car to a mechanic who pressure checked the fuel pump which seemed to be fine. He thought the problem was the ignition coil (think that's how you say it) so he replaced that which was $130.00. Still a problem. He then thought it was the crank position sensor ( the part that has the magnets...think thats what its called). After replacing both of these there is still a problem. Could it be my ECU? I have already sunk enough into the car over this issue but I am too far in to just give up. Is there a way I can test the ECU?I found the service # of my ECU to be 16236757 and I did some research to find that the same ECU is in the following cars:

98 Fbody
Service #
98 3.8 Firebird, Camaro
98 3.1 Lumina, Malibu
98 3.8 Lumina, Monte Carlo
98 3.1 Century, Skylark
98 3.8 Electra, LeSabre, Park Ave
98 3.8 Regal, Riviera
98 3.1 Achieva, Cutlass
98 3.8 Intrigue
98 3.4 Silhouette
98 3.1 Grand Am, Grand Prix
98 3.8 Bonneville, Grand Prix
98 3.4 Transport

Can I use an ECU from one of these cars if I find one to test at a junk yard? I would hate to dump $400.00 into the car and find out it's not the ECU. However, I don't mind spending that kind of money if I am sure that's what the problem is.
I also don't know if this is an issue but I noticed when turning the key to the on position I don't think my "check engine light" turned on. I don't know if it's supposed to anyway. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry I am not more knowledgeable with this car yet.

Thanks,

Faustus

Old 12-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Default RE: 98 Camaro 3.8 starting issue. Help please!

Well I replaced fuel filter today and also the ECM and still no luck. The car runs fine after it starts. Just starting it is getting worse and worse. Seems like If I try to start it after not running it for a while it starts fine. I'm at a loss. Ideas???

Old 12-03-2006, 02:49 PM

The firsy day a had my 96 3.8 it ahd the same problem..but it turned out to be the fuel pump..

Old 12-03-2006, 11:49 PM
2nd Gear member

could it be the starter? (just guessing)

Old 12-04-2006, 01:18 AM
2nd Gear member

Has the starter ever been changed? It seems Like your mechanic is trying to give you the high and hard one... Every camaro that I've had
has always had starter problems. My current camaro the 94.... It's starter went out and I also found out from my mechanic that the safety neutral switch went out. So thats a definate possibility.

This is how I fixed that problem, I had my mechanic wire up a push button start. i still have to turn the key to the ON position but all I do is press a button and it takes a small jolt from the positive terminal to run the starter. I was having the same symptoms as you were. So I'd go that route. it wasn't very expensive and who doesn't love a car that starts by pushing a button? Ya know.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4475/C9012AFD94B243928FC258E3256318AC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-04-2006, 05:17 PM

Update:

I have the car at a different mechanic currently as I write this. He is saying that fuel pressure is fine...
He however said that my Crank position sensor is giving wierd readings (That's the one my other mechanic replaced) and that it isn't a genuine ac delco part.
He said he wants to replace the plug that plugs into that sensor and replace that part with a genuine ac delco part.
I have only had the car a year so I don't know if the starter has ever been replaced. Doesn't seem like a starter issue though because the car wants to start.
I'm getting ready to pull my *uckin hair out!

Old 12-04-2006, 05:21 PM
2nd Gear member

lol id go have a lil talk with that other mechanic

Old 12-07-2006, 06:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

just a thought! have you had your V.A.T.S. checked. your key has a resistor in it(some people call it a chip,but its not) if the resistor is dead or the wiring from the switch to the V.A.T.S. is bad it could cause a no start condition. one way to tell if it is the key, try another one if you have two keys, if not it could be the switch itself.its suppose to be a theft deterent but if the resistor is dirty or bad it will cause a no start condition i.e. the module will no let the pcm send fuel past the injectors.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't spend another dollar until you've had a load test done on the battery. A poor man's test would be to 1st charge the battery then turn the headlight on high, fan on and rear defogger on for about a minute. Then see if it cranks over. Most batteries will last 5 yrs then start to give you some troubles and most EFI and electronic ignitions need at least 9 volts to operate.

Also check the ECM fuse, voltage at the ECM when cranking (use a digital VOM ONLY), battery terminals and finally the starter and ground connections. You've pretty much eliminated the more expensive possible causes.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:50 AM

I have exactly the same problem on my 98. All lights turn on, car cranks fine, but doesn't fire some of the time. When it finally starts it runs fine until it is shut off. If a year ago we replaced the key sensor relay and it worked well for a while. If the key is the problem would the lights even come on and the carstarter engage? If the fuel system is not working why does it sometimes start and continue to run? Minerman, does the key control the injectors and not the ignition system? The mechanic here seems to think it maybe the crank sensor but it is nearly impossible to get to and I am not so sure due to the previous key problems. Can we take another sensor and put it in the ignition/key slot relay slot to check the key resistor system?

Quick Reply: 98 Camaro 3.8 starting issue. Help please!