93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

97 v6 camaro help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Default 97 v6 camaro help!

hello i joined this forum to hopefully get some really good advice. heres my issue: i recently picked up a 97 camaro with the 3.8L v6 and a automatic transmission and it is really dogged out. the radiator has alot of rust in it, one of the exhaust pipes most recently fell off, the underbody is really rusty, and apparently the car was driven with only one air filter on a cold air intake that requires two. im looking at a magnaflow exhaust kit, but i dont know anything about engines so i dont know how to rebuild it to make it like new. could someone tell me where i can buy a new 3800 series engine and about how much installation would cost, or tell me exactly what parts i need to get to make the engine thats in it brand new again so i can supercharge it. i also would like to know if it would be easy to install a 5 speed transmission, or if theres a better automatic transmission or a way to make my automatic transmission better performing. im in the navy so im getting a large bonus this november so ill have about $10k to play around with. i want this thing pimped to the max if u know what i mean. i love chevys and i would like to make this car a beast on the road.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: 97 v6 camaro help!

Look up Jasper engines for a new/reman 3800. You can find reman 3800s on ebay as well.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:15 AM
1st Gear Member

well if you have 10gs and your looking to go down the power route, and your 3800s shot, id try to get an lt1 or ls1 (referably the latter) off a junkyard maro, otherwise your could just get your engine from the dealer. I bought my car with a blown engine and didnt know it....grr...anyways the dealer charged 2500 for the engine and 1k to install it. And a magnaflor catback sounds kinda ricey at high rpms, but that engine, unless cammed, just has that sound to it unfortunatley. as for the rest of your money id try to get everything thats broke or on the virge of breaking repaired, and then some paint, and if you have hub caps, some decent wheels. good luck and welcome to the forum.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:55 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

few things here bro...

auto tras is better for drag racing so dont waste your money doing a switch

two rebuilding a engine with said engine in the car is going to be really hard so buy a new one

get pacesetter headers a magnaflow highflow cat and magnaflow cat back and youll have all new exaught

Old 08-18-2008, 07:02 PM

thanks guys on a minor note i have z06 corvette rims on it and they are kinda rusty on the inside so could i get them powder coated or rechromed i like tthe chrome but i dont know if it would be worth it to get it done

Old 03-29-2010, 11:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If I was you, I would take a look around craigslist or something and see if i could find a maro that was in a accident with a bent frame. it'd be much cheaper than anything else out there.

If you wanna go major league kick *** on it, you could pick up an l67 out of a gto or something. its basically the 3800 block with a stronger bottom end and a turbocharger. sounds like some *** kicking to me... I was actually looking at doing that over the summer with my firechicken.

Magnaflow sounds awesome on it, good choice. just don't get the chrome tips. the stainless steel ones last longer and look better. I have the magnaflow cat back and high flow cat. you might sacrifice some gas mileage since you'll wanna hear it all the time...

Old 03-30-2010, 12:17 AM
4th Gear Member

Stop digging up 2 year old threads dude.