93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

97 acceleration problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Default 97 acceleration problem

I have a 97 RS V6 auto 86,000 miles about 5 months ago I had to change the battery. Right after doing so the car sputtered violently. After a day it cleared out except for a "dead spot" when trying to stomp on it from a stand still. About a month ago it unexpectedly it happened again. This time I got an engine light- misfire #6 code and a converter code. The shop changed the spark plugs(one was fouled) which helped but did not totally cure the problem. Since then I have changed the wires, 3/6 coil pack, cleaned the fuel system, and the air filter (fuel filter changed about 6 months ago the fuel filter was changed). Now if I try to accelerate it seems to choke out/hesitate with no further engine codes and it seems to be worse when its hot outside over 80 deg. If you punch on the gas while it is choking out it will work thru the hesitation. The vehicle also starts fine. The sensors appear to be operating properly according to the dealer, but they don't seem to want to spend the time to diagnos the problem, must want to get the next oil change into the bay instead. Any suggestions?

Old 05-22-2009, 02:22 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

unhook the batter overnight and see if that helps. do a fuel pressure test.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Default The answer!!!!!!

I may have solved the mystery. I have continued to suffer with driving the car while waiting for an appointment at one of the better performance shops in the area to try and figure this out. Last night the car seemed to be a little worse than usual so I lifted the hood and discovered a small hole in the cover of the mass air flow sensor. I called up a parts dealer in town and as soon as I told him about the hole he described my problem with the way its been running without me telling him. I will find out tomorrow when the new part comes in. I guess the pressure built up in it enough to finally cause the cover to shatter. I still have not gotten another engine light to come on.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:42 PM

Well it kinda sounds like you might have a fuel injector problem, or catalytic converter problem. If it is the Maf, does it just have a hole in the screen, or has it ruined the maf(the little piece of metal that measure air flow). Even then the car wouldnt bog down, it just wouldnt start.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Unhappy

I put the new MAF sensor in and you would have thought I replaced the motor. For a 3800 V6 she was rolling!! Of course tomorrow is a different day if you know what I mean. I may still get the catalytic converter checked on Monday since I have heard that from at least a half a dozen people now. I was hoping that there wouldn't have been another underlying problem with the car, but sounds like you think I might be wrong.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if it aint broke dont fix it.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:09 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

afterthought a nice set of headers and freeflow cat would be nice.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:14 AM

TRUE!!!! If my motorhead friends in PA get their way she may end up with a motor out a nascar modified. Ever since I bought this car off my Dad and they closed down Flemington Speedway in NJ one of my friends has nothing to do with his race engine. Once I told him of my problem, he has asked me just about every other day to let him drop in that motor. I am sure it would take a good bit of money to do it. Who knows. Having all that power would be fun, but I may not be able to resist using it.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:16 AM

Besides getting into a high speed pursuit with my Interceptor is fun enough!!

Quick Reply: 97 acceleration problem