93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

96 RS problems after gasket changes

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010 | 10:36 PM
|
Wink 96 RS problems after gasket changes

Just recently had the intake gaskets in my car changed. Now my car acts like it doesn't want to start most of the time but will if you pump the gas. When running it idles really rough. Oil has been changed twice since gasket change. No signs of water in the oil. Plugs have been changed. Not sure what is wrong. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Old 09-07-2010 | 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

check and make sure your wires are going to the right spark plugs/right coils.

Old 09-08-2010 | 08:02 AM
4th Gear Member

Make sure all the vac lines are reconnected. Check the car for codes.

Old 09-08-2010 | 06:13 PM
|
Default Still lost

Thanks for the tips. I checked the firing order all plug wires are in the right order and connected. However I did find a place where a vacuum line should hook into but not sure where the line is at just has the rubber fitting. Looking at he motor it is above the back of the left valve cover. Many thanks to all who have helped.

Old 09-08-2010 | 07:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Here is a pic of how the vac hoses should look.

Attached Thumbnails 96 RS problems after gasket changes-126112601.jpg  
Old 09-09-2010 | 12:11 AM

make sure your fuel pressure is up to par and dont rule out exhaust problems like something with the egr, could be the rough idle i think, and as above posters have said, make sure all the vacuum lines are connected

Old 09-09-2010 | 06:08 PM
|

I have a vac line to the EVAP vac switch and one out to the canister. Where the one from the purge valve to the vac switch hooks into the vac switch there is a rubber elbow above that connection that doesn't have anything connected to it. Like somethings missing. I haven't found anything anywhere that shows anything other than one in one out and wiring plug that plugsin on top. Now my car will turn over but not start. It is backfiring through the exshaust and intake. Other than the misterious elbow without a line i'm thinking timing. I realy realy realy appreciate the insite that I have recieved so far you guys are all so helpful.

Old 09-09-2010 | 07:39 PM
4th Gear Member

If it is acting like the timing is off, check the sensor on the crank (front of engine)and the cam sensor (just above the oil filter on the 3800). My sons car started backfiring and wouldn't even pull itself. Replaced the cam sensor and it solved the problem. Does it show any codes?

Old 09-12-2010 | 04:31 PM
|
Default Valves?????????

Ok any insite on how the rocker arms and valves are supposed to be agjusted. I have found info stating they need to be torqued to spec and other info saying while car is running loosen til they tap then quarter turn down. If I can;t get this car running to par I'm going to blow a gasket. LOL!

Old 09-12-2010 | 04:49 PM
4th Gear Member

When I did the head gaskets on the 3.8, the haynes manual I was using said to torque to spec. I did according to manual and left it alone. Can't remember right off top my head what the spec was. The 5.7 I just did had several ways to adjust, one of them was with the car running as you mentioned above.

Quick Reply: 96 RS problems after gasket changes