93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

96' Cam, Great Car - Engine is Going - Decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 01:59 PM
Unhappy 96' Cam, Great Car - Engine is Going - Decisions...

This is hard friends, I love my 1996 Cammie. I think she's a great and unusual combination. White with the black roof bar, T-tops, Cast Wheels, Factory 5-Speed, Original Delco Bose CD, nicely loaded, flame red factory interior in great condition.

Has a few weak points, the dashboard vent/grate is falling apart, console ashtray cover missing and hard to find (for the manual trans) and there is a strange leak coming in from the bottom of the passenger side doorframe.

The real problem started 2 months ago when the engine lost pressure quickly and then shut down. It runs now but with a severe knock and my garage told me the engine needs a complete rebuild. They want about 5k for that which isn't easy for me right now though she's clearly worth it. The Mrs. wants me to sell it, but I'm the first owner and it's just not that simple. I'm not sure what my options are, replace with junkyard 3800 for less? blueprinted rebuilt engine for more? Upgrade to an L7? If you had a great looking 1996 Camaro, T-Top coupe with the factory bose, wheels and power group but the engine was going fast, what would you do? Anyone know what it's worth in this condition? (Body is very nice, interior also other than flaws noted above, seats in particular are in very good condition)

Recently had the fuel pump rebuilt and added an easy access panel in the hatch for that. Transmission has had work done )clutch replaced) and generally well maintained by myself since brand new.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Welcome to the "should I, should I not" club. I'm being faced with similar issues. I recently bought my first Camaro, it's a 94 Base w/T-tops in Quasar blue. I really like the car, but I'm already underwater just trying to get it to run. It sat for 7 years with no preparation. All I want to do is drive and enjoy it. Dash has a crack, glove box won't latch, neither will the console lid, drivers door window control panel keeps popping out, etc. Now I need a fuel line. Clear coat is starting to peel. But damn, it's a sexy looking car.

As to your situation, my advice is to do what you can afford... you liked it with the 3.8 so the junkyard engine would probably be the cheap way out, assuming it's good. Maybe rebuild it yourself the way you want it? Emotions are always tough to deal with.

Good luck with your choice!

Old 10-12-2015, 09:48 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pick up a low miles series 3 3.8 from a newer gm. you pick up an extra 20hp. can use up to 09 natural aspiration front wheel drive. will need to use pretty much everything off your engine except the block and heads.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:58 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am not sure how much work you are willing to do yourself. Junk yard will tell the FWD motor will not work and to a point they are correct. For used motors garages want to pull one install another. What you can use from the FWD is called the long block (any mechanic should know that term.) The long block is exactly what you would get if you order a new motor from GM (before it was discontinued) Its the block heads and everything inside. You then need most of the parts off you motor.

It is almost never worth rebuild a higher miles motors, your mechanic should have at least told you about a remanufactured option. 3 year unlimited miles warranty, I'll bet his machine shop is a year or less. With 2K for the motor the total bill should be under 4k

This is a long block from Rockauto
More Information for FAMOUS BRAND DB58

Used motor info
https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...nt-info-57568/

Then again I recently bought a 2000 Z28 with a LS1 with 45,000 miles on it for $5500. You would really need to love the V6 even to put 3-4K in it.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-12-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:39 PM

Thanks so much for reflecting these truths to me. You gave me a great perspective on the situation even confirming that it's as much an emotional decision as financial. Also some great tech advice, can't thank you enough. Obviously a car's true worth is decided at the moment of sale, do we know what a good 96 f-body like this is worth in need of an engine but otherwise well suited to drive and good condition?

Old 10-14-2015, 11:30 AM
4th Gear Member

ebay has a reman 3.8L buick engine k vin fits 95 to 02 $2049.00 free shipping ,if iwas going with one that one looks good ,i aslo hear there can be a real super charger put on them ,i have yet to see one in a camaro though ,but some of the buicks came with SC too an dont know how much hp it adds ,i would think i desent rebuilt may be had for less ,but yes a $2000.00 probley cost ,another $2000.00 to have someone install it ,most shops figure 50% labor on an engine,mabey you find one do it for $1000.00,brings it to $3000.00

Old 10-14-2015, 08:39 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by JonnyCam
Obviously a car's true worth is decided at the moment of sale, do we know what a good 96 f-body like this is worth in need of an engine but otherwise well suited to drive and good condition?
No one really repairs the V6s, they tend to sell as parts cars. I bought my 96 in 2009 for $1000.00. It was a one owner car with 132K garage kept and dealer maintained. If you pick on the "Camaro 96 Build Thread" link in my sig you can see the history. It took me awhile to find one worth doing as a project. I think I looked at 4 cars over 6 months the other 3 were driven into the ground with one bad repair on top of another. When I bought the car the women said she had been trying to sell it for 4 months and I was the first serous inquirer. In 2009 a good dependable 3800 started at 5k. I saw a 98 3800 with 29,000 miles on it sit on craigs list all this summer for $3700 (never been in the rain so the add said). I would estimate a 96 V6 with a blown motor is now worth $700-$800 and the front end is the most valuable part.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-14-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:07 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i have had an eye out for a 96-97 v6 project for a couple years now. one i did find was gone by the time i had the bucks. figure if i do the work i can come out of it with a good car for a good price and have a parts car if needed.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:10 PM
4th Gear Member
Default yes

Originally Posted by craby
i have had an eye out for a 96-97 v6 project for a couple years now. one i did find was gone by the time i had the bucks. figure if i do the work i can come out of it with a good car for a good price and have a parts car if needed.
thats what happen to me when looking for donor car ,got the red one,now i did find a real donor same color an everything as my 95 $800.00 probley get for $600.00 it is one of the 3.4l with 95 100.000 miles that seems low for those,to need an engine ,i just want everything that purple ,right time right place ,there are some deals out there,its 200 miles one way i just need a trailer an about $400.00 more oho there is some deal out there the 94 zs8 38.000 for $4500.00 the red one i got for 2000.00 then put 800.00 in it with 88.000,there a 94 3.4l in my area 66.000 miles $1800.00 best offer ,dont know why has not sold ,sometimes people think it to good to be true ,an sometimes it is on an on 98 convertable 65.000 miles $1599.00 seems to good to be true ,but i could be the deal of the month salem mass

Attached Thumbnails 96' Cam, Great Car - Engine is Going - Decisions...-dscn0002.jpg  

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 10-15-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:43 PM

So "if" I find the right engine nearby and can get a decent price on the install it "may" be worth doing financially as well as emotionally. I think because the factory 5-speed is pretty rare and she's nicely loaded I could locate a buyer if I'm patient who "might" get close to what was invested or better (GREAT sounding original bose, t-tops, nice interior…)

Definitely would need to be patient for the right shopper, can't be a firesale or dealer trade, someone has to fall in love or forget it. Might be lucky to get $1500 from a dealer even if engine was perfect but I think I could possibly see 3k+ from a retail buyer looking for a driver… Looks like she'll occupy the front yard for a bit, (sorry honey…) Another rule, don't sell a car with T-tops in late autumn or winter…

Sounds like I have the info I need, thanks again Camaro Forum.

Quick Reply: 96' Cam, Great Car - Engine is Going - Decisions...