93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

96 3.8L V6 no security light, won't crank, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Exclamation 96 3.8L V6 no security light, won't crank, please help!

Ok guys, this ones got me stumped. I have a 1996 Camaro RS V6 3800 series II. Now I've had a few issues over the past year with the security system, but nothing that unhooking a battery cable for a few seconds, or 45 minutes in some cases, wouldn't fix. I went out yesterday to go get tires put on, and turned the key...nothing. Security light does NOT come on, door chime does not sound, and interior lights do not burn, even when turned on manually. Everything else works. Radio, headlights, instrument panel lights, etc. I've tried leaving battery unhooked...nothing. I've checked the ohms in my key and then checked the corresponding plug under dash...good. I've tried leaving the switch in ON position for 10 minutes and turning back off (relearn method) and still nothing. The battery is good. I've cleaned terminals and such. Can anyone tell me what's going on here, and how I might resolve this issue?? All insight is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:00 PM
2nd Gear member

All of the items you listed have to do with the BCM (body control module), which is mounted under the dash on the passenger side above the noise control panel. It could be that it is getting no 12v power. That power should be on all the time since it comes directly from the battery using two wires, one through a fusible link and the other through the Courtesy fuse. I would check that fuse and fusible link before suspecting the BCM itself. The fusible link is one of the black ones connected to the red power terminal atop the passenger side wheel well. Unfortunately they are not marked as to their function, so you would have to check all the black ones.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
All of the items you listed have to do with the BCM (body control module), which is mounted under the dash on the passenger side above the noise control panel. It could be that it is getting no 12v power. That power should be on all the time since it comes directly from the battery using two wires, one through a fusible link and the other through the Courtesy fuse. I would check that fuse and fusible link before suspecting the BCM itself. The fusible link is one of the black ones connected to the red power terminal atop the passenger side wheel well. Unfortunately they are not marked as to their function, so you would have to check all the black ones.
Thank you sir. I will check that out first thing in the A.M. and report back as to the results.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:35 AM

also check the connectors that are bolted together

Old 11-11-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
Ok. I've got the BCM out ( what a fun time that was) opened it up, and everything looks ok with it. No burnt circuits, no blown capacitors, no corroded terminals, etc. Matter of fact, the sunuva-gun looks brand new. Is there something specific I should look for, or can these things go out and show no physical signs of failure???

Old 11-11-2017, 12:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

some info on bcm's here, look at 11 and 11.5 https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...62/#post557634

Old 11-11-2017, 12:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

did you check fuseable links

Old 11-11-2017, 07:42 PM

Resoldered specified connections in BCM. Still nothing. The fusible links, have had some kinda gorilla tape wrapped around the soldered connections under the heat shrink, so it's hard to tell if what I see is corrosion, or old adhesive from the tape. So, I'll replace those tomorrow and if that doesn't work I guess I'll replace the BCM and bypass the pass key if necessary. Thanks to everyone for your input on this.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear member

Checking the fusible links is waaayyy easier than removing the BCM. That is why I suggested it first. I now suggest you find someone who is at least a little bit knowledgeable about using a multimeter and have them check the 12v power to the BCM connectors first.

"Resoldered specified connections in BCM"...What specified connections are you talking about? Those are only for certain symptoms that do NOT match yours! You are going way off track.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 11-11-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:51 PM

The connections of which I speak are specified in the link above posted by craby. I know that those weren't my symptoms but, why not, since I had it out, right?? And I did check the fusible links beforehand. Now, I know my way around a multimeter pretty well if you'd care to specify the BCM connectors of which you speak. I'm assuming the wires in the harnesses that plug into the BCM??

Quick Reply: 96 3.8L V6 no security light, won't crank, please help!