93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

94 3.4L idles rough to 2000 RPMs/slow take offs

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Default 94 3.4L idles rough to 2000 RPMs/slow take offs

I have a 94, that introduced me to the Camaro world today. Its a five speed and from start until i get up to speed, i have it to the floor and dont get a real fast take off. I cant even spin tires. and theyre Maypop Slicks (tires that are so worn, that they may-pop anytime). anyways, the SES light comes on sometimes and doesnt sometimes. the light doesnt make a diference on if the engine runs rough or not. it idles around 1000 RPMs.

Basicly the things that are wrong with it:
Rough idle up to 2100RPMs
SLOW SLOW SLOW acceleration
almost no power take off.

I seafoamed the engine and it didnt really help.

any ideas? Thanks guys

Old 12-11-2011, 08:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well i have 95 3.4 /same as the 94 if it's a 3.4.I had some of the issue ur having.pull that idle air contonl valve off and clean.also replace throttle position sensor which is cheap at advanceauto....might help

Old 12-11-2011, 08:45 PM
I Like to Party

I would consider scanning it before you actually start replacing various parts, some basic procedures to be done are:
-A tune up (plugs,wires,oil)
-Test the fuel pressure via the schraeder valve on top of the intake plenum
-Clean the Throttle Body, along with the IAC and MAP sensors
-Be sure the intake isn't filled with debri or dust
Check any and all vacuum lines for leaks (Especially the brake booster and vacuum check valve near the computer, they tend to crack over the years)

Sounds to me like a vacuum leak mixed with irregular fuel pressure, don't forget to replace the fuel filter either, I recommend taking the car to Autozone to get it scanned for codes and report back

Old 12-12-2011, 07:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

All of the suggestions are right. I have a 94 3.4L, 5-speed as well. I'm not going to frighten you with all of the stuff I had to do to get it to run to factory standards. Let's just say that when my system went bad....it all went bad at the same time. For some reason or another Chevrolet designed this system to degrade all at once. I have 234,000 miles on mine. Just out of curiosity, whats your odometer reading. If you have any questions at all then keep posting this thread. I just replaced my entire fuel, and vacuum sytem. My 3.4L runs so tight that it scares me. The only component I have left to replace is the throttle position sensor........and yes, after replacing everything my throttle response was still slow.......last thing for me is that TPS.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Here's another big thing....and believe me it's really big! Don't forget to check the vacuum connections at the charcoal cannister, and underneath the car where the fuel system transitions from metal lines to vinyl lines. There are several small vacuum joints that were laid wide open and leaking fuel vapor. I was losing evaporated fuel from the tank, not to mention the amount of vacuum I was losing. Anyhow, the story goes that I was underneath the car 2 days ago changing the output shaft seal on my tranny and I kept getting whiffs of gasoline. So I pulled a Tucan Sam and followed my nose (cause it always knows) to the (split wide open) vapor line vacuum joint. From there I instinctively went to the charcoal cannister (mounted behind a plastic shield in the drivers side rear wheel well). I popped the strap off the side of the cannister and proceeded to pull it out of the wheel well. It drug the attached lines with it and exposing the purge valve, along with all of ITS rotted vacuum lines! I replaced all of it, except the purge valve. I tested it and it was still good. The moral of the story is..........don't just check the vacuum lines in the engine.......there're others along the fuel lines. Search and destroy bro.........search and destroy! If all else fails....follow your nose, it always knows......LOL!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Love it.