93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

94' 3.4 CAI questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Default 94' 3.4 CAI questions

Alright so im planning on doing some modifications to my camaro. Even though it is a 3.4 I would like for it to get a little more horsepower. I already got the exhaust modified.

I was thinking one of these Chrome Intakes for the CAI since its cheaper than a K&N. but I never heard of it but most the people who buy them say its no different but then why would it be $60.00 for a Chrome Intake and its 220+ for a K&N one? Thats my first question.

My second question is....What could go wrong if i put this CAI on there. Will it make my O2 sensor go nuts or another sensor? And will it let more dirt get into my motor?

My third question is... Will I notice the horsepower change when I mash it to the floor? I dont want to spend $60.00 or even more than $200.00 on something that doesnt even give more horsepower change than a good spark plug and wire tune up.

All answers are appreciated

Old 06-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Overdrive Member

you wont notice a big difference in power,you will see a little better throttle responce but not much,also you will get better mpg.It wont harm your car at all.The K&N is made more of plastic so it doesnt get as hot as a chrome one would,plus it pulls air farther away so it is more of a true cold air intake.K&N is also larger so you will have more air coming through.If youre on a budget go for the cheap chrome one,its better than stock and its not a huge huge difference from the K&N.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:17 AM
2nd Gear member

def go for a chrome intake. i got one for my car for $75. i was a little hesitant too but it worked out great. my mileage went up and i could feel a difference in throttle response. it seemed to get into the higher rpms a little faster and it still sounds damn good

Old 07-01-2009, 08:36 PM

but do you guys think i should get the K&N air filter with it? or is there another filter thats better? Im definetly getting the chrome air intake.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Overdrive Member

if the k&n will fit on it,get it

Old 07-02-2009, 09:13 AM
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't go for the Chrome one; get one from a more reputable manufacturer. I have one from SLP that I paid $120 for. It works great, uses stock airbox, easy installation.
http://www.lmperformance.com/741/13.html
SLP's Blackwing filter is also available and is recommended to be used with the SLP intake, marketing no doubt, but I bought it as I still had the stock paper filter in there.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:08 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I've got the cheap ebay one. You can buy them with a K&N filter actually. I have yet to read anything or see anything that 100% proves they are worse than a K&N or SLP setup. A tube is a tube, and they are a great upgrade over the stock junk. Personally I would never spend what the K&N or SLP arrangements cost on an intake, you're paying for the name.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pacific_L36
I've got the cheap ebay one. You can buy them with a K&N filter actually. I have yet to read anything or see anything that 100% proves they are worse than a K&N or SLP setup. A tube is a tube, and they are a great upgrade over the stock junk. Personally I would never spend what the K&N or SLP arrangements cost on an intake, you're paying for the name.

thats true :P the chrome one looks better too..Rubbery plastic tubing vs shiny chrome metal.... Even 1 horsepower makes a difference you probably wont notice it. the difference between 62.00 for a chrome intake + K&N filter vs the 200+ dollar K&N CAI. I could spend the difference on other things. Like dual exhaust It sounds good now since the cat is gutted but i think 2 exhausts looks and sounds better than 1...

Old 07-03-2009, 09:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

I have a Ebay CAI with a K&N Filter. Haven't had a problem yet. Wasn't to keen on spending that kind of money on a DD.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:15 AM

Is K&N the only aftermarket air intake that fit the 3.4 engines?

Quick Reply: 94' 3.4 CAI questions