93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3800 V6 RS Turbo installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Question 3800 V6 RS Turbo installation

Alright, this is my situation. I bought a 99 Camaro convertible RS with the 3.8L motor. It runs amazing compared to my first car, and it still beats plenty of cars. Examples of these cars could be stock Z28s or stock Mustang GTs...I currently have the wide mouth K&N short ram intake (SLP style) with Borla exhaust (Non-true duals) and what looks to be Brembo racing brakes (on the car when bought).
The car runs like a champ, other than last week when I had to replace the alternator. Not a super hard job. Well, I've been looking at possibly doing an LT or an LS swap, but I don't know yet. I keep reading posts about all the work involved and frankly, I just don't have the time to do it myself, but I drive the car enough to not be able to turn it in for a week or two. I was thinking of the alternative, and just throwing in a single or even possibly a twin turbo kit.
If I do decide to put on this turbo kit, where would be the best place to purchase this kit, and who would you recommend putting it on in the event that I might not be able to do it myself. I really want this car to boost its HP but I don't know what would be best. This car is my girl and I want to take care of her, but I also want to dress her up...if you know what I mean...

Old 08-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Two Cylinders Short of Win

Lol your v6 camaro with a couple bolt ons beats z28s? I'm a noob here and I highly doubt that.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

No one makes a kit you would have to fab one up yourself. Step one to adding a turbo should be rebuild the motor to handle a turbo. Step two install turbo. Putting a turbo on a stock V6 will end badly for you.

LOL twin turbos, ya if you have 15K laying around a twin turbo setup would be nice.

Last edited by Gorn; 08-06-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:03 PM

What if its the STS remote mount turbo? No1 has responded or looked into this. I thought I saw 1 Camaro on youtube that had it. But yeah, it would seem to me that this would cost less than a regular turbo kit after mods needed and installation, but I don't know much about cars. One of you *Cough* Gorn *Cough* look into this. I'm trying to remember who told me about the Chrysler Sebring with the kit, but they said it was on stock internals.

SOMEBODY PLEASE RESEARCH AND LOOK INTO THIS AND HELP SOME BROTHERS OUT HAHA.

http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_turbo_systems

Old 08-06-2010, 09:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well dang, I guess I should've built my V6 Camaro instead of the Cobra. A couple of bolt ons running with stock mustang gt's and Z28's? Sign me up! I'd be willing to bet my Mother's 2007 GT will walk your "GT beater" from any type of race, dig, 30-40-50-60 roll?. Not trying to be a A-hole, but I think your story is a little far-fetched.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Overdrive Member

Twin Turbo will require a Big Stuff PCM, so go single turbo if that's too involved for you...

For a single, might want to look at STS Universal Turbo Systems:

$1995:

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-06-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Overdrive Member

Why don't YOU look into it, why not phone FLP Performance, that did the work on the Twin Turbo 3800 I posted, and see what they estimate for an STS Turbo install and what would be required... Post back here and share what you learned. Don't just farm it off to someone else -- that just proves you're not really THAT interested.

Originally Posted by Murda99v6
What if its the STS remote mount turbo? No1 has responded or looked into this. I thought I saw 1 Camaro on youtube that had it. But yeah, it would seem to me that this would cost less than a regular turbo kit after mods needed and installation, but I don't know much about cars. One of you *Cough* Gorn *Cough* look into this. I'm trying to remember who told me about the Chrysler Sebring with the kit, but they said it was on stock internals.

SOMEBODY PLEASE RESEARCH AND LOOK INTO THIS AND HELP SOME BROTHERS OUT HAHA.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:07 AM

Maybe I contacted them already regarding a turbo last time you gave me the info and their quote was so ridiculous there is no point in contacting them again? Tony Kacys is his name. I think 12k-15k was their quote by email. No I didn't mention the STS kit, but I said a single turbo and that was their quote for the entire setup.

Also, I said I don't know too much about cars. Thats usually what you do on forums. You get answers to questions from people with more experience or who have been there done that. You also provide info for others if you have been there done that. Not calling FLP performance is PROOF that I'm not interested in a turbo? I love your logic.

Why does any1 ask any question on here? You can just take it somewhere and get your answer. Damn I don't understand the concept of Forums! If you always went with the first answer you got you would be an idiot. For example, if I wanted a turbo and went with the first thing some1 told me such as "call FLP" I'd be paying 15k for a setup. Now if I get various opinions and responses I have a few options to choose from, some more realistic than others since some people talk out of their ***, and then I'm ready to make the next move. You have 1700 posts - you don't need me to explain this to you.

Last edited by Murda99v6; 08-07-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9cobra4
Well dang, I guess I should've built my V6 Camaro instead of the Cobra. A couple of bolt ons running with stock mustang gt's and Z28's? Sign me up! I'd be willing to bet my Mother's 2007 GT will walk your "GT beater" from any type of race, dig, 30-40-50-60 roll?. Not trying to be a A-hole, but I think your story is a little far-fetched.
i really doubt he was talking about 2007s. probably similar years to his. but yeah even then..a 3.8 w/ intake and exhaust will not beat a z28/gt. not gonna happen. unless the v8s had flat tires and a dead battery. and even then..not a gauranteed win...
not to hate on any 3800s though.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by ricer_killaZ28
i really doubt he was talking about 2007s. probably similar years to his. but yeah even then..a 3.8 w/ intake and exhaust will not beat a z28/gt. not gonna happen. unless the v8s had flat tires and a dead battery. and even then..not a gauranteed win...
not to hate on any 3800s though.
Meh....He said GT's so I went for it. Every GT from 87+ has been atleast an 15.0-ish car...

Quick Reply: 3800 V6 RS Turbo installation