93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.8 engine change

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Default 3.8 engine change

I've been trolling here for the last few months and decided to join. My question is I'm getting ready to replace the engine in my 96 camaro, I have a new engine ready to go in just not sure where to start. I've read that its easier to remove the engine out of the bottom but i cant find any detailed write-up of the process. If anyone has done it, or if there is a write-up on here that I missed can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance

Old 10-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Send me a PM with your email. I have a PDF.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Overdrive Member

The quick and dirty on how I did it is this:

Unhooked everything that tied the engine to the car. Layed the wiring on top of the engine and removed the radiator, left the A/C comp attached to the system and put it around where the battery goes (yes it will make it over that far).
Jacked up the front and rear of the car to about 3' off the ground (max for my smallest jack stand) unhooked everything from under the car (driveline hoop, rear end stabilizer bar, Tranny X member, drive line (but left the DL in the tranny to prevent leaking)).
used floor jacks to support the engine and tranny while I removed the suspension and K member.
Lowered the engine and tranny and set them down on the floor.
Used a cherry picker to lift the car high enough to slide the engine out from under it (I set the engine on a heavy duty creeper to make moving it easier.) I used a nylon tow strap to loop around the bumper reinforcement and tied that to the cherry picker to lift the car, it worked great.
Set car back down on the jack stands and prepped the engines for the swap.

All and all it took me 3 long days to get everthing done in a very tight garage.

Massey

Old 10-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Overdrive Member

So WHY are you replacing the engine? What is bad/wrong? Have you also considered a rebuild?

Old 10-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
So WHY are you replacing the engine? What is bad/wrong? Have you also considered a rebuild?
I think that is what has happened. Old engine worn new engine waiting for a car to stick it in. Sounds like a 3.8-3.8 swap to me.

Massey

Old 10-05-2010, 04:08 PM

i bought the car for $900 with what they said was a blown head gasket, but turned out to be major problems in the bottom end. i dropped the oil pan and found park of a piston skirt in it. found an engine with 70k on it for $400 so im putting it in. thanks for the input

Old 10-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You get the PDF? Is it a Camaro engine? You want to reseal the lower intake and replace the plastic elbow under the intake. It is a common issue and you will reget not doing it. You should also do your plugs and wires again it is a huge PITA job with the motor in the car. Simple 10 minute job with the motor out. This would be a great time to add headers.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
You get the PDF? Is it a Camaro engine? You want to reseal the lower intake and replace the plastic elbow under the intake. It is a common issue and you will reget not doing it. You should also do your plugs and wires again it is a huge PITA job with the motor in the car. Simple 10 minute job with the motor out. This would be a great time to add headers.
get the GM lower intake gaskets...there made from aluminum and wont warp

Old 10-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Overdrive Member

This is bringing back memories of my swap a couple of months ago. It was good times. I did the same thing as you I bought my car for $500 knowing it had a bad engine. The swap is pretty easy but if you didnt get a Camaro Engine then you will have ALOT to swap over. The oil pickup is NOT the same on a FWD engine.

Crank, Cam, knock sensors are all the same so you dont have to swap them over. Harmonic Balancers are NOT the same and you need to use the Camaro one for your belts to work correctly.

Massey

Old 10-06-2010, 09:42 AM

yeah gorn thanks. the engine is out of a 96 firebird that was rolled over, im replacing everything now since the engine is on the stand just staring at me. im redoing the whole exhaust now also, thanks for all the input.

Quick Reply: 3.8 engine change