93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.8 Dying out after cranking =[

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 11:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Lightbulb 3.8 Dying out after cranking =[

To make it short.I put cheap gas,my buddy thought it was gas that got contaminated with water from rain.Car died out 20 minutes after fill.We tried to crank car and it will stall out right away not even rev,no power.
Well after trying harder we got it to crank,drove it to a gas station,while stalling who knows how many times,and car only drove at redline,crazy.While in the process car was fuming black/white exhaust and a hella lot of backfiring pops with sparks.

We put in new gas,FI cleaner,kept revving the hell out of engine until it overheated and in the final moments before I decided to say screw it,a huge piece of carbon flew out of the exhaust.
(I thought my car has a cat,but apparently it was removed and replaced with a 3" welded in tube.Heck looks like a cat to me.Stock piping is 2.5"

So well I've had 5 opinion from mechanic,two in the last two days.And those check ups aint free,like I don't know what to do.I can't imagine doctors being so varied with prognosis like mechanics it'll worry me.

So well the other day I cranked it stayed running for 15 mins until I decided to take it out for a test drive,ja yea right,it stalled as soon as I got car into R gear. Following attempts at cranking it up were fail. The next day,we crank it and huge cloud of black smoke came outta exhaust.Smelling like pure gas.Running rich.It died out also.

Now I have done a complete tune-up on this car to the fuel filter,even coil packs and wires.So can't be that possible those new parts haveany involvement in this but who knows,plugs and wires are all tight.

Before I get to the meks thoughts,after the tune up had a tiny misfire if thats the correct word,a tiny little hiccup that you can barely feel but its there. I cleared diagnosis codes after tune up. Check engine came back on no time,I took it for a computer check and I was running lean on bank 1 & 2.

So guys I don't know what to do when diff meks give you different opinions.I don't trust no one mek,I need two opinions at least.Past experience. So yea it's gone from bad O2 Sensor,crankshaft sensor,bad fuel injector,fuel pump,timing,bad cat(Car don't got cat,but then that chunk of carbon flying out exhaust I can't explain it...).So we had this guy come yesterday did some weird *** **** with some cables and said it was fuel pump...Im like screw him I dont like him. So today we had a more sincere looking guy and he said pump is good cause it primes and that it has to be water or constipated FI.To go buy water remover and pour a fuel injection cleaner.Well I did just that poured both reg. size bottle onto tank that has about 4 gallons in it. Cranked it,fought with car,then got it to stay revved at 3.5 Revs,I let go off gas and it stalled.Same process I gas it all the way and car somehow wont go past 4.5 Rpm!Stalled,Crnaked again and I heard a bam from block and some quick smoke,I got scared.Couldnt see form where it was but im like boy you gonna run again,I cranked it revved till 4Rpm for some secs,let go,and it just died out.So Im like this aint gonna work.So yea a quick note while I cranked it today and after I poured those chems into the fuel,no kind of smoke came out exhaust and that worries me a bit for whatever reason!

Im thinking of dropping fuel tank with dad onto deck and cleaning it out.I know it's going to be a p.i.t.a.

So guys what is there for me to do and what should I do? I need my daily driver bad,I can't make any kind of money without it and heck I love my 3.8 but damn it doesn't wanna cooperate with his jockey .

Old 05-29-2011, 07:30 AM

rent a fuel pressure gauge and see what your pressure is.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:47 AM
2nd Gear member

Well, if you had bad gas the best thing is to syphen out the tank and put new gas in. You should also fill the tank with supreme gas.
Black smoke is gas which means you're running rich. Vacuum leaks, bad EGR, MAP, and O2 sensors can cause your car to run rich.

Also, you say you ran the car until it overheated. There's an issue with your cooling system too then because the car shouldn't overheat. Hopefully you didn't warp the heads. Either your thermostat isn't opening or you don't have enough coolant, or you have a blockage in your system.

I'd diagnose the cooling issue first.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

This might just be a long **** but sounds like bad timing. what engine and year is it? How are your spark plugs? Inspect them to see what is happening inside the combustion chamber. How many miles? We had a similar issue one with a camry that eded up being a bad valvejob bby the machine shop.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Droid

If you think that water in the fuel is you problem, you could try dumping in a quart of methanol (methyl hydrate at Home Depot) in the tank. It will absorb the water and still burn. The plugs most likely got fouled and they should be checked out and replaced if needed. However, before taking things apart, check the fuel pressure and see if the pump is still alive and the filter not clogged. Fuel filters get clogged by water

Old 05-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Red lining a engine that is not running right is a bad idea. It is very hard on the valve train. Since we are all throwing in guesses I add in you jumped a tooth on the timing chain. Figuring this out is going to take work from someone that knows what they are doing. Not people that just guess.

For future issues like this even walmart sells fuel additives to help with water in the gas.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok guys,well i disconnected the fuel filter from main line and just drained almost whole tank.By turning ignition on and some cranking attempts.Only drops are left so i guess its almost empty.I guess the fuel pump is fine cause man was that fuel filter spitting fuel like crazy,so i think filter has great flow as well.Bascially we just decided hell no to dropping tank,it's not as easy as its doing the mustang tank dropping,this one seems too complicated.

So now we got that outta the way,now we pulled 2 spark plugs out! Holy cheetos,man they are black as hell and wet with fuel.Now about the collant issue,he has overheated on me twice when i have flushed the system.The coolant turns brown,the radiator you can tell is rusted inside as is the coolant tank which is plastic but theres smudge on the dipstick.The car has never overheated while driving and drives at just behind the 210F mark.

So guys whats up with the spark plugs? I want to seafoam the the car and put about 10 gallons of 93 gas,good idea?

Last edited by CheVy_R0aRrR; 05-30-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

What plugs where wet? Sounds like your fuel injectors are clogged and the ones that aren't are over compisating for the air fuel mixture richening everything up causing fouling. Get those injectors pulled and set them in a bucket of injector cleaner. Leave them in there for a few hours.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I just poured a gallon of 93,and drained it to take out whatever was left.I then poured the remaining 4 gallons and a lucas fuel injection cleaner the complete one.Bam car cranked like nothing...As im waiting till it burns off some fuel I started cleaning engine bay with gunk spray lol,all shiny,im like heck yea ballin! 5 mins later it died out and its starting and dying.Car was on without issue for about 15 mins...

So now guys I just rented a fuel pressure gauge kit...Theres a fuel nozzle on the passenger side fuel rail with a black top,Idk if thats a pressure line or a return line. I adapted the gauge to that nozzle and i got zero read,while priming pump heck even when I cranked it so that can be the correct line.Im not exactly sure how to do this so I ask for some instructions guys. Theres also a green top onthe driver side on the insulated lines that say fuel but idk no plug of the gauge screw into it...

The plugs are a little wet between the ring gaps on the white part,its small wet residue but still and its of oil color but its very minimal.I showed it to guys @ autozone and they say if it was oil it will be soaked in it.So it's just fuel.Looks like brownish to me,tho it only smells like fuel not oil.

And about the fuel injection cleaner at autozone I didn't see such a thing,I even asked and said only F.I cleaners that exist are one that you pour thru the fuel tank or is that what you meant get one of those and pour it in a bucket?

Ughh,my brother just got a 2000 3.8 With the y87 package auto and vibrant red,omg! Sexyness...So I even feel more need to drive my whip,I just got it some Nitto n555 zr 18's all around brand new,heck of a deal but yea dude,without it running there's no point of getting anything else for it,what do I know if its ever gonna run again =[...Help me fellas!!!

Last edited by CheVy_R0aRrR; 05-30-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Guys I can't get my car outta my head I just came outside cranked it for 3 seconds and died out.Retried out and alot of black smoke came out and it also died out right away.Now guys I went for a 3r3,4th,5th,6th attempt with pedal floored and it wont respond to pedal,gets to 1RPM and dies. And now I have a yellow "Reduced Engine Power" light...should that be of worrier,since im already worried?

Quick Reply: 3.8 Dying out after cranking =[