93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.8 Camaro Performance help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Default 3.8 Camaro Performance help

Okay, lol first post was help getting car back to good running factory condition. Now that its almost there, I want to do some minor things to make it a bit more peppy on the daily commute.
Its a 1998 3.8 automatic RS. I was reading about the diff ratios in them, how do you check? And I am almost positive mines the 3.08 lol
Looking for the simple things, oponions and hearing what other people have and like or not like.
Intake - whats one of the best for the money?
exhaust - headers back to a cat-back. Best headers for power, and is there a cat-back that either does not have tips that come out under the vehicle or will work with the factory appearance package? I am wanting to keep rear lip.
Gears - where is a good site that sells the higher gear sets? i think 3.42 and 3.73s?

And any other small, good ideas to toss on here? not looking for a lot of power, just a little. My manifolds have leaks and exhaust has leak so lol replacing all of it would probably be first. And as far as other things go, I am putting new suspension on it soon, eibach pro kit and kyb agx shocks/struts

Sorry for the bunch of questions, but I figured some of yall love big discussions :P And I have searched and read a bunch, but a lot of mixed reviews on some stuff, and most sites that sell things dont really have good reviews or say things like would it work with the factory appearance package.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Old 10-24-2007, 02:52 AM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!
Default RE: 3.8 Camaro Performance help

intake is normally the first step and for the most part as long as youve got a good filter and the inside of the tubing is smooth and well connected. a intake is a intake is a intake. as far as exaughst systems the only company ive been able to find mass producing headers for our cars is pacesetter so that makes that choice very easy as far as cat back i like magnaflow though flowmasters is okay for the money ofcorse theres brands like borla but your going to pay 300 dollors more for at most one more horse power. and gears i woulndt go much about 3.42s for a daily commuter or your gonna kill your milage.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:36 AM

Any idea on what exhaust would work with the rear lip? I read somewhere magnaflow sits too high? And looking at intakes, i see most of them keep the same general design of the lid filter, but k&n switches to a conical type. Much difference? Thanks!

Old 10-24-2007, 07:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

...not looking for a lot of power, just a little...
That's how it all starts. Welcome to quest for more hp. Welcome to insanity...

IMO, you should have bought a V8 if you're looking for power. V6 motors make a nice daily driver, but if you want some get_up_and_go, you need a V8 or boost... For the amount of money you are going to spend in upgrading a V6, you could probably buy another V8 project and right off the bat, you are dealing with more base hp.

My $0.02 CDN (more in USD... lol)

Old 10-24-2007, 11:33 AM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

hes in some ways right itll take a little more fiddling to make big power out of a V6 but i can be done i htink its more satifing that way anyway as far as fliters personally from purley a physics stand point looking at the cone filter it seems like it would do the job better but they dyno up about the same so ya not alot of change as far as the rear lip magnaflow dose sit pretty high......you might want to consider when shoping for a exaughst to specify that yours is the RS with the ground affects and see if that changers you opitons

Old 10-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Overdrive Member

Well, unless you want the V6 for better gas mileage...

Off topic rant:
BTW, the US Dollar is tanking -- $1 US = $0.9638 CDN today! Blame US Congress for spending too much money and the Federal Reserve for printing it out of thin air and devaluing the dollar. The amount of money the USA owes China is STAGGERING, and the ridiculous $450 BILLION spent on an unconstitutional undeclared Iraq War, with Bush wanting yet another $46B. :-(

Old 10-24-2007, 05:18 PM

Lol yes i dont want to swap a v8. I have had a 03 s-10 since last year as a daily driver for my other cars (240sx with a sr20det, ~300whp, and a 95 civic with a b16 turbo ~400whp) and I recently decided to put a engine/tranny in it, why i bought the camaro to be a good daily driver. My truck is in florida at Current Performance wiring getting a crate LS2 with a t56 put in it lol, so i know plenty about the lsx series :P But i just cant leave something stock ha ha its in my blood to mod it somewhat. but intake/exhaust and good suspension probably going to be my limit on what i do to it

Old 10-24-2007, 05:57 PM
3rd Gear Member

400 Hp Civic, Camaro, LS2 in your truck, 300 HP???? Dude, either you have VERY deep pockets or have been reading way too many mags.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:08 PM

no i sold the 240 and civic a while ago. just truck and camaro now. ls2 and the t56 werent but $6800, both brand new crate. the 240 i traded for the civic, and the civic i just sold a few months ago lol. would be nice to have them all now :P

Quick Reply: 3.8 Camaro Performance help