93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.8 camaro lowering

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 03:03 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default 3.8 camaro lowering

Ive read a few threads about lowering camaros but they all talk about lt1s and ls1s. I have never lowered a car and i dont know much about suspension. I would like to receive some input on what kind of springs to use when lowering my car. I dont want to cut or heat stock springs. I was thinking eibach but i could only find v8 versions. I want to lower 1.5"-2". I also dont want such a harsh ride. I want it to be stock or better of course i know this means $$$.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Overdrive Member

Eibachs tend to sag over time from many accounts. Try Strano springs, and Koni SAs -- adjustable shocks are really a requirement with lowering springs, unless you want premature shock wear on Bilsteins. (The SLP package with Bilsteins and Eibachs are matched, but any other springs will be an issue over time with the non adj. shocks)

http://www.stranoparts.com/

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 10-21-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

My car is lowered around 1.5"-2". I never realized it when I first got the car until microkid (now the bf) offered to take a look at her. You'll love the look though. Very aggressive. It'll make you think a stock ride height looks awful and goofy and awkward. As far as the springs...we couldn't figure out what they were. They looked stock, but were not cut...so I'm not sure what's under there. Maybe just really saggy springs? Ha. I think she'd look better even lower...

Old 10-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Overdrive Member

Also keep in mind, the lower you go, the less suspension travel you will have = rougher ride. If you don't get appropriate and good shocks to go with lowering springs, you may be riding your bumpstops...

Old 10-21-2010, 10:53 AM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

If you are going to cut your stock springs, which I recommend not to do, do one coil down from original....

But do a performance spring and Eibach is not that bad like many say because I have sportlines in my C/SS and they work just fine.

NEVER HEAT UP A SPRING!! You will run the risk of snapping them due to making the coil brittle and it will weaken the bound and rebound of the spring after you heat it causing premature failure.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:28 AM
3rd Gear Member

i want to go about 1.25" front and 1.5" for a slightly staggered look. Any idea if B&G are good?

Old 10-27-2010, 06:53 AM
4th Gear Member

Don't lower your front unless you wanna kiss your oil pan and front axle good bye. The rear is all that's needed. As Liberty said, you will have to get a good set of adjustable shocks. Konis are great but cost a lot. I've heard KYB AGX aren't too bad on lowering springs.

All springs will sag as time wears on. Even Strano's springs. Stock, stiff as ****, GM springs do. As will Eibach. Eibach sag much sooner due to their **** spring rates. Sure they effectively lower your car but they do **** for anything else lol.

I agree on the choice of Strano springs and some good shocks. Throw some 32/19 sway bars on there and go fly around some twisties

And I'm sorry to say but lowering your ride will never leave you with an "as good as stock" ride. Unless your shocks are just older than dirt.... Then it will seem better but it'll just be an illusion because you didn't replace them sooner :P

Old 10-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Overdrive Member

Strano hollow 35/22 Sways would be an even better choice, but SS sways on a V6 are a bargain! Definitely at least do the later, as SS front sways are hollow. Whatever you do, don't put solid front bars on your car, you're just adding needless weight.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:01 AM
4th Gear Member

35/22 would be overkill but they would work. You'd have to do extra suspension work to make any use of them. And as Liberty said, try to grab a hollow bar.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:26 AM
3rd Gear Member

so did everybody who lowered their maro only lower the back? i just want to get rid of the nasty wheel gap

Quick Reply: 3.8 camaro lowering