93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.4l v6 upgrades using z28 parts?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Default 3.4l v6 upgrades using z28 parts?!?!?

Hello i would like to upgrade my 94 3.4l v6 camaro but i want to do it very cheap. I have been looking at using old/used z28 parts to make my car perform better. I was thinking about getting a whole Z28 rear end, Z28 throttle body, and a Z28 exhaust system. How much more power do you estimate i will get with all those Z28 parts installed and a custom CAI and maybe plugs and wires.

My car could use a tune up because it probably does need new plugs, wires, and really really needs a clutch. So now im wondering how much it would cost to give the car a good tune up with more performance oriented parts.

These are the parts i picked out for the tune up and just a couple performance parts that were extra.

Clutch: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Short throw shifter: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Plug wires: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Ignition coils: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Spark plugs: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Rocker arms: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

So just all those parts i gave links to added up to about 1000 dollars and i believe i rounded up enough for shipping these parts. so i would say adding the prices for the parts to make the custom intake and buying the used Z28 exhaust, rearend, and throttle body everything would add up to about 2000 once everything is all done and in. Please tell me if this sounds right and if so what do you think my HP and TQ gain will be? The rockers do say they can give up to 25 extra HP so i would say that would translate to maybe 10? at the wheels? just for the rockers? Thank you for this help.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: 3.4l v6 upgrades using z28 parts?!?!?

You will have to do some custom work to the intake manifold to get the throttle body to fit. Alot of people just port and polish there stock one. Though at this point, I doubt it would do to much. I would take the money you are going to spend on the coils and find a used LS1 aluminum driveshaft. Usually $100-150. With the rocker arms you may look at getting some new valve springs, and pushrods. Probably not necessary, but would be a good idea to go ahead and new parts while you're in there. Up to you.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:26 PM

I knew that i would have to do the custom work on the intake and i was ok with it for awhile but now that im thinking about it i think i would just like to port and polish the stock throttle body because im not going very extreme for performance parts. Do i really need new valve springs and pushrods when and if i install the rockers? i was thinking of just adding the rockers alone if that could be done. I dont really want to get in this engine i just figured i could attack the rockers and taking the valve covers off wouldnt be too hard but maybe i shouldnt even add the rockers. Unless you think they would give me a little bit more HP and or TQ. why would i not want the coils? they would help performance wouldnt they? and they would look cool too! But i like the idea of the LS1 drive shaft it is alot lighter then the stock 2 part drive shaft and does it transfer the power to the ground any better? If you have any other suggestions for things that i might do to increase my power output pretty cheap. No nitrous or turbo or supercharging I just want a little extra power without getting really into this car because all it is is my first car and i dont want to have more power then i need be cause i still need to learn how to work the manual tranny well. Then after that i might get into this engine and start upping the HP and TQ

Old 11-03-2008, 08:28 PM

Sorry for the double post but i just found this driveshaft on ebay and i am wondering if this would work on my car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/82-02...mZ120328183990

Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm not extremely knowledgeable about the 3.4. But on my 3.8, I know that the stock coils are better than the MSD's. That was a surprise to me. The z rear won't be anything new for you, unless it's lsd. But beware of getting used lsds', mine has dead clutches, so it's a 1 tire friar again. +1 for the aluminum shaft. For exhaust, I would get an aftermarket catback. If you're going to change the rockers, I would do springs as well. Just a good idea. Here's where my 3.4 knowledge runs short. Are there headers out there for them? If there are, I would do headers and exhaust togethor, and a high flow cat as well.

Here's what I would recomend, with what I know about those cars.

-eaton posi
-3.73 ring and pinion
-headers (if they're out there)
-high flow cat
-exhaust
-aluminum drive shaft
-Cold air intake
-p/p throttle body
-oem clutch

Old 11-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Overdrive Member

The coils are more for if you have an aftermarket ignition. Results would be minimal. If you are looking for something to spice up the underhood, then by all means go for them. Just so you know, you will have to remove the intake manifold to take off the valve covers. Just letting you know, as I have no idea how mechanically inclined you are. The aluminum driveshaft allows you to accelerate a little faster, you wouldn't see horsepower on a dyno from it though. Not sure if the pushrods are necessary. The stiffer valve springs are recommended with rockers. Since you are increasing valve lift, you would like to ensure the valves shut in a timely manner. This is more of a concern at higher rpms when you could experience valve float.

A high-rpm engine condition in which the valve lifters lose contact with the cam lobes because the valve springs are not strong enough to overcome the momentum of the various valve train components. The onset of valve float prevents higher-rpm operation. Extended periods of valve float will damage the valve train.
Just a little explanation.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Overdrive Member

That driveshaft will work.

Music, the 3.4 has RKSport headers available, as well as Pacesetter.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:00 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

ah, thanks stan. I need to learn more about the 3.4s so I can be of more help around here.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:56 PM

Ok so what were all getting at is definetly get the driveshaft but ditch the coils and the rear end and just beef up my existing rear end. correct? Also no rockers because of valve floating issue's. I think i will get the clutch sooner then the other parts because i do need that to get it running better. Ill just buy this one: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
Then when i get a little more money saved up ill buy a set of plug wires and spark plugs. Do you think those plugs and wires will work good together? I cant buy all this stuff at once because i dont have a job yet i am making my own money from mowing lawns and selling fire wood along with someother stuff that i sell on ebay. Do you think instead of spending the money for rear disc i could buy some better performing shoes for my rear drum and also buy drilled and slotted front rotors with high quality brake pads? I think i will buy the clutch and install that but then after that i will stock up on all the parts i am looking at and install them all at once so i can feel the power all at once and be very surprised. Actually since i dont have much money right now and can really only afford to buy a clutch or a drive shaft should i go for the driveshaft? it seems like a good deal the one i showed on ebay and you said it would fit. I can wait to buy a new clutch because the one in right now still works ok at best. Alright so while im waiting/ deciding if i want to buy the clutch or the drive shaft im pretty sure i want the driveshaft i can port and polish the throttle body? Also last question are you sure this drive shaft will fit my 1994 3.4L camaro with a 5 spd manual transmission? Because if this dosent i will have just blown $150 on something i cant even use on my car and i am on a very very tight budget.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Overdrive Member

He wasn't saying ditch getting a rearend from a Z, just be cautious. That would be the easiest way to take care of the rear and rear discs. Alot cheaper too. If it is between the clutch and driveshaft, I say driveshaft. Alot easier install. Takes about 15 minutes once the car is up. I assure that one will fit. 93-02 are interchangeable. All of them. Yes you can port and polish your throttle body.

Quick Reply: 3.4l v6 upgrades using z28 parts?!?!?