93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.4L SFI ENGINE spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:59 AM
2nd Gear member
Default 3.4L SFI ENGINE spark plugs

Geez, Ive been looking all over this forum. All the spark plug guides are for the 3800 (which has to be the hardest one to do) or the lt1. Ive got my little 3.4l which I can get to the driver side 3 just fine. And I figured, these ones are all up top, so this shouldnt be too hard. Well I was wrong. Ive never had such a problem doing spark plugs in my life.
HOW IN THE WORLD do I get to change the passenger side spark plugs on this thing?!?! The middle plug I can access just fine, theres only one question I have about that one. I went to the junkyard, and its always the same on every one. I cant see that well down there, but I cant get my socket on it and it always looks like there is a washer or something over it.
Normally, I would go figure this out for myself and just start taking things off, but I rather do it right the first time and get it done ASAP this time since there is the ROTM contest going on and I need to get her set up for the burnout. =]

Old 09-04-2011, 10:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i just did the plugs on my car, same motor and same year as yours. its actually not that difficult, took me maybe a half hour to change all of them. u need a swivel socket and a good sized extension to be able to do them the easiest tho, dont even attempt to do it without one.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:04 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

on the lt1 i have to get one on that side from under the car. flex head rachet with the long handle is a must.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:18 AM
3rd Gear Member

On the 3.8 I can get the front 2 and drivers rear out from up top using a 1" extension. The rest is from bellow with swivel sockets and a bunch of different extensions. Total time 45min and bloody knuckles.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:02 AM
2nd Gear member

Ive got some swivel joints, i dont think I have the flex heads, but still, what is up with that middle plug on the passenger side? Is it just that tricky or is there really something there? And if all I need is a swivel joint, thats good news. I need to get these done soon.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

theres not really much to it, im being honest. get ur swivel setup with like a medium size extension and its all about positioning ur ratchet when in there, u may need to first put the socket+extension on the plug and then add the ratchet itself after u find a good angle on it. did it all from the top by myself...if i can do it im sure u can get it done too just have some patience

Old 09-12-2011, 06:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Alright, I need confirmation because Im an idiot and didnt take a picture first.
Ive looked up images and looked for answers but everything is different.
Now I need to confirm the cylinder firing order (ive got 2 diff answers for this), and the coil pack order (this is what im really getting 4 diff answers on).

Now this is the 2 diff firing orders I have

5 6 6 5
3 4 4 3
1 2 2 1
FRONT OF ENGINE

Here are a couple answers I have for coil packs
bottom left top right
1-4 6-3 2-5
4-1 2-5 6-3
4-1 6-3 2-5
1-4 2-5 6-3

I have the 3.4l SFI so the coil packs are laying on an angle in front of the engine with the terminals on the engine side. The left is also the bottom which is why i put bottom left and same general idea with the top right.

If someone else with the 3.4l V6 could take a picture of the coil packs close enough to show the numbers, that would be great. And if you could confirm which terminal is which on the first one that would be great. I cant find any coil pack that is the 1 and 4 that has a number telling which one is which. Also if you could make sure the picture shows which way the wires are going, that would be excellent. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-12-2011, 08:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

look at my album. if that don't help ill post another pic

Old 09-12-2011, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by slick's camaro
look at my album. if that don't help ill post another pic
I cant tell much because its hard to see but is every plug wire thats going to the left of the engine on the bottom terminal of each coil? And I cant see the numbers on the coil packs. If you could tell me the numbers on the coils from bottom to top and which side of the engine the wires are going to from each terminal, I can correspond which plugs they go to.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

standing in front of the car starting from left to right on the coil packs. it should be 1-4,6-3, 2-5.....firing order is 1-3-5 on passenger side and 2-4-6 on drivers side.

Quick Reply: 3.4L SFI ENGINE spark plugs