93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.4l missfire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 3.4l missfire?

Hey guys im new to camaros im a mitsubishi DSM turbo guy. I just bought my 94 3.4 camaro the other day for 200 bucks. The guy said it ran horrible and when i drove it.. it was definatly horrable, you stomp the gas and it would bog down the car wouldnt do over like 50 and it sounded like it was knocking the whole time under acceleration, no power at all. So i popped the hood for the first time today and imediatly noticed the IAT sensor wasnt plugged in and the pipe that goes fron the intake to the passenger valve cover wasnt connected so i fixed that, put new coils in(off my moms 3.8 since its not moving anytime soon) and replaed o2 sensors. Car runs much better but still stumbles abit under acceleraction. any ideas? Also i have to hold the gas in to get it to start or it dies not sure if its cause its cold or what. Any help is greatly appriciated!

Old 11-17-2011, 05:46 AM
2nd Gear member

Welcome to the forum!

Do you have a check engine light on? I'd start with basics like plugs and wires. Check for vacuum leaks, and if you can run the car in Neutral (5speed) or Park (Automatic) tap the IAC valve and see if it makes a difference in the idle.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by mrfreez
Welcome to the forum!

Do you have a check engine light on? I'd start with basics like plugs and wires. Check for vacuum leaks, and if you can run the car in Neutral (5speed) or Park (Automatic) tap the IAC valve and see if it makes a difference in the idle.
Finally someone who doesn't beat around the bush. Vacuum! Vacuum!! VACUUM!!! The 3.4L is MAP(manifold absolute pressure) not MAF(mass air flow).......get the vacuum system tight and watch what happens.....also don't forget to check the power brake booster check valve that plugs into the booster at the vacuum line....very important. Consequently, Chevy shows that part being discontinued. However, you have to go to GMC to get it still. It hasn't been released to aftermarket. Plugs and wires are obvious. Don't forget to check the gromets on top of either valve cover. If they show signs of breathing, chevy has both of those for cheap. Get the system tight.....I give you my word that you won't be disappointed!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I forgot to tell you to replace the Coolant Temperature Sensor on the right top of the engine, under the the plenum, just in front of the fuel rail.......this is critical because this sensor tells the ECM (brain) how much fuel to dump in the cylinder upon start-up. They go bad at around 100,000 miles. It's a very common thing to miss, and it can be ordered for ten bucks. Do not confuse this sensor with a similar sensor that mounts on the right side of the block. Both of these sensors are labeled coolant temp sensors, however, the one under the plenum reports to the ECM, and the one on the right side(front) of the block reports to the gage. Clear as mud?

Old 11-17-2011, 09:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by richard.nelson100
I forgot to tell you to replace the Coolant Temperature Sensor on the right top of the engine, under the the plenum, just in front of the fuel rail.......this is critical because this sensor tells the ECM (brain) how much fuel to dump in the cylinder upon start-up. They go bad at around 100,000 miles. It's a very common thing to miss, and it can be ordered for ten bucks. Do not confuse this sensor with a similar sensor that mounts on the right side of the block. Both of these sensors are labeled coolant temp sensors, however, the one under the plenum reports to the ECM, and the one on the right side(front) of the block reports to the gage. Clear as mud?
Right as in my right if im infront of the car looking at the motor or right if im in the car? i ask because when i was replacing the coils i noticed a sensor on the right top f the motor if im standing infront that had a single wire going to it but looked like it had another prong on top of it for another wire. This sensor stands out cause the previous owner used male/female connectors to hook this sensor up, its pretty ghetto and dosent look right. Im not sure if its the coolant temp sensor though. As for vaccume leaks.. the elbow on top of the valve cover is terrible and im sure theirs some other hoses too ill have to check. Could a bad MAP sensor cause this? On a side note i drove the car today and it was acting pretty bad so i shut it of and restarted it and it was fine again? wth.. and i get a CEL for like 5 min after like 30 min of driving. the car has new plugs, wires, coils, and o2 sensors. thanks for the help.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

so maybe the previous owner broke the sensor and put a male connector on it to try to make it work?
i just got on my autozone app and it shows a coolant temp sensor on intake manifold with a pigtale witch would be awesome and its only 12.99 part #su102 but than it shows just the sensor for the intake manifold for 14.99 part #su109 that dosent seem right? than they show another coolant temp sender sensor where the prongs look like (|-) part # tu152 so i assume that is for the block? any help getting me the part i need is greatly appriciated.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Tech Droid

Being that the CEL is coming up, get the silly thing scanned and see what it is complaining about. It may just save you a lot of hunting around and replacing good parts for no reason.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:46 AM
March 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by z28pete
Being that the CEL is coming up, get the silly thing scanned and see what it is complaining about. It may just save you a lot of hunting around and replacing good parts for no reason.
^^This...so many ppl say "I have a code", but never get it checked out

Old 11-18-2011, 01:49 AM
In the Staging Lanes

how am i supposed to check for codes on a obdI? and does the cel have to be on when the code is being pulled cause mine is only on for short periods of time.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

okay today i went out to check my hoses and vaccume leakes...i hope you guys are ready to help..its a mess...
problem 1.. this sensor was by the abs and air box, anyone know what it goes to?

problem 2..this is the broken sensor, it looks to be on the head behind the coils, anyone know what it is?

problem 3..what does this hook to? its with the fuel lines, maybe why my cars hard to start?

problem 4...what goes to this box? it has two inlets that look like their missing hoses, this one on the front than on the back

problem 5... is their a replacement hose for this?

thanks for the help guys!

Quick Reply: 3.4l missfire?