93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

2002 base.... suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 2002 base.... suspension

I was wondering if any one else finds the stock suspension in the base Camaro (even the RS maybe) to be a bit sub-par. I am starting to think it's a GM thing, cause of the 4 GM vehicles I have had (ranging from 82-02) have been like riding on a boat. Always feel like I am rocking or swaying, and feeling every bump. The other cars I have had haven't been all that bad. Is it just me, or is there something to this.

On the same note, I was wondering if any one had any suggestions for what I should do. I am hoping to drop about a grand on making the ride a bit smoother this spring. If I could do it for less, that would be great (more for other parts), but that is my main concern for now. Any idea's or suggestions would be great. Thanks again.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:54 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: 2002 base.... suspension

Well personally I think you feel every bump in all sports cars you drive lol. Because they have a stiffer suspension... It's not a luxury car. It's a sports car and they aren't meant to be "smooth" rides.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I agree with that. It's not so much that it's stiff, it feels more of alot of rocking and over poor handling.

I could just be crazy though since this is my first real "sports car". I guess I should rephrase my question a bit.... What would you guys suggest I look into first if I were going to start upgrading my suspension? I know it can get pricey quick, so if I have to make choices between what parts to start swapping out, what ones would I see the most benefits? (I.E. springs, shocks, struts, arms.... etc)

Old 11-14-2008, 10:13 AM
4th Gear Member

It just depends on what you want. I put new shocks and LCAs in mine when I first got it 3 years ago. Now my springs are going bad lol. I'd say go with shocks and your LCAs first. That will give your tight handling back (hopefully...).

Old 11-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Overdrive Member

If it is 'floating' around, then it sounds like the shocks are worn out.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:22 AM
4th Gear Member

Yeah and the poor handling could also be a sway bar problem too... Didn't think of that :$

Old 11-14-2008, 12:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

You guys are dead on. I had my buddy come out and take a look and a ride in it (He just rebuild his 82 Firebird, I will post details of that later, but it's pretty bada$$) and he said the struts and shocks are pretty warn and should be replaced. They are stock and have 80000miles on them. He also suggested the sway bars just cause he knows I want the handling to be a bit tighter. But I don't know if I will have money for both. I will be looking around this afternoon for prices, brands, quality etc.... Let you know what I find. Thanks for the ideas though. I am excited to really dig into this car and have some fun with it.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Overdrive Member

On a related note, does anyone have a definitive list of suspension differences between a 99-02 RS and an SS? It would be good to see which parts were upgraded for the SS. TIA!

Old 11-14-2008, 04:26 PM
4th Gear Member

OP: My shocks and struts had 140000 miles on them and still were fine... Though my springs have about had it... Seems your car has been through some rough roads lol. And we're here to help you so we normally try to be pretty good with these things lol... Hence the reason we were dead on.

Liberty: The RS is just an appearance package... The only "package" that held upgraded suspension were the Y87 where basically a V6 Camaro got the Z28 suspension and the SS which upgraded the Z28 suspension...

Old 11-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Tech Droid

I don't have a list of parts, but the Z28/SS suspension uses upgraded springs, shocks, sway bars, and tires, and is a lot stiffer an tighter than the RS suspension. As evilkal indicated, the RS is just an appearance package designed for the 6 cylinder version. However; if the suspension on the RS is in good condition, the car should still be a decent handling vehicle. The problem is that most of these cars are getting old, and depending on how and where they were used, the suspension is going to show its age and adversely affect handling. Make sure all suspension parts (ball joints, tie rod ends, and bushings are in good shape. Replace the OEM RS shocks with a set of Bilstein shocks and you will have a car that handles almost as good as a SS model, but with a better ride. Of course, if you are using a set of cheap worn out tires, you will just be wasting your time and money.

Quick Reply: 2002 base.... suspension