93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

2002 3.8l V6 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 03:01 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

count this as a lesson. as u take a motor,,, well anything on a car, apart look for anything that could be contributing to the problem. that is if there is a problem. first thing to look at is the gaskets and its easiest to see any issues when the part is first taken off. if the gaskets looked weak or as if failing then hopefully thats what it was. u will find out. one way or the other. did u bottom out (turn motor over till the piston is down) the piston in the cylinders when u checked for cracks?

Old 05-09-2010, 12:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Does anyone know where i could print off a repair manual or steps to putting this thing back together correctly?

Old 05-09-2010, 02:02 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

do a search for a factory service manual and/or factory shop manual for your yr and model. this is what i found on a quick one. could not find a paper one.
http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...-repair-manual

Old 08-03-2010, 12:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Replaced the entire gasket set. Running 5 days now without any overheating issues, I didnt even have to bleed it, which i thought there would be air pockets.

Anyways, there is still a miss, A kind of rough idle, runs great, the guy at advanced said something about the #4 cylinder. I bought new spark plugs and was wondering what else could be wrong.

My SES Light is not on, It came on for a bit and then i had the guy at advance clear it, After about 100 miles it came back on, then it went back off, I have A brake Light and An ABS light on,

I also just purchased a few seconds ago, a Fuel Filter, air filter, , BTW, What kind of spark plug wires should i get?

Also, Idk if anyone else has this problem but when accelerating the car above so many RPM's the Air conditioner quits blowing? Whats with that?

Last edited by wildcatk23; 08-03-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:49 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

kool got her goin. check the center brake light in the rear. if burnt out it can cause abs, brake light. have the car scanned for codes. msd makes good wires.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Overdrive Member

Withthe ABS INOP light on did you mess with the ABS connections down by the exhaust manifolds (they are on the K-member) or the plug that goes to the master cylinder? If any of those are unplugged you will get ABS INOP. Also what is your fluid level? Is the ABS unit plugged in? and do you need to bleed your lines.

CEL? what was the code? it does not do much good to find out why it is on with out the codes.

try bleeding the cooling system... I know you said you didnt have to but I am going to guess that there is some air in the lines... just trust me on this one and save headaches and $$$ later.

Why does your A/C stop blowing? it is still blowing but when you get on it really hard you lose vacuum and your heater ducts are all vacuum controlled. The defrost is the position of the doors by default so what is happening is your heater controls are losing vacuum and the door is shutting and moving the air to the defrost. Once you let off the gas the vacuum returns and so does your vent air.

Hope this helps.
Massey

Old 08-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Overdrive Member

OH and what wires? I like Borg Warner products, it is an exact OEM replacement wire. MSD makes a great aftermarket wire, a little more coin for the MSD but good investment.

Massey

Old 08-04-2010, 04:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Massey
Withthe ABS INOP light on did you mess with the ABS connections down by the exhaust manifolds (they are on the K-member) or the plug that goes to the master cylinder? If any of those are unplugged you will get ABS INOP. Also what is your fluid level? Is the ABS unit plugged in? and do you need to bleed your lines.

CEL? what was the code? it does not do much good to find out why it is on with out the codes.

try bleeding the cooling system... I know you said you didnt have to but I am going to guess that there is some air in the lines... just trust me on this one and save headaches and $$$ later.

Why does your A/C stop blowing? it is still blowing but when you get on it really hard you lose vacuum and your heater ducts are all vacuum controlled. The defrost is the position of the doors by default so what is happening is your heater controls are losing vacuum and the door is shutting and moving the air to the defrost. Once you let off the gas the vacuum returns and so does your vent air.

Hope this helps.
Massey
Code Was P0300, Cylinder 4 Misfire. The SES light COmes on and off, not sure why, its not running as rough as it was today.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

also have a billet grille brand new that my father bought a long time ago, how do i install it? there is no screws or anything...

Or should i leave the the original grille on it?

The Spark Plugs I bought Was Bosch Platinum Plus Spark Plugs, I dont know if a certain spark plug can cause a misfire,

Im going to buy,

Autolite Ignition Wire Set
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_490817992___

Driveworks Air Filter
Driveworks Fuel Filter

All From advance

Or maybe u guys have some suggestions on some better products and somewhere to buy them?

Last edited by wildcatk23; 08-04-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My neighbor still wants to believe the head is cracked even after i had it tested.

Quick Reply: 2002 3.8l V6 Overheating