93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

2001 v6 burning oil, no leaks, no smoke

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 01:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2001 v6 burning oil, no leaks, no smoke

Last week I got a low oil light and had to add 2 quarts. I've parked in every clean spot in the lot at work for various amounts of time and not a drop on the pavement so no leak and no smoke out the tailpipe. I think it could possibly be due to the crap pcv system since there's some oil in the UIM and on the pcv. From what I've read in other forums some of the v8 guys have started using catch cans with decent results. Would anything like that be possible on our cars?

Old 01-15-2015, 02:29 PM
2nd Gear member

As far as I know a catch can is a catch can, it's just a matter of finding a way to mount it and run the tubing, since I haven't seen any designed for a v6. I'm sure it just comes down to picking a spot for the can, making a bracket, bolting it down and running the tuning.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check and make sure its not going into your cooling system. it may be thats its not leaking until the engine is running and if you don't set anywhere for any amount of time then its not going to show. check your oil pressure sensor to make sure its not going to pieces. common on the v6.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Member

No oil in the coolant. Let it sit running in the driveway when I got home from work for about 20 minutes revving to normal driving rpms. Not a drop in the driveway. Low oil light was on last week because the oil was low not much on the dipstick after sitting for a couple hours.

I'm thinking improving the seal of the pcv might help. Since the opening it sits over doesn't seem much smaller than the pcv I could probably take the intake off and dremel out the hole a bit. That with an o ring would have a seal better than the current non existent seal.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:09 AM
4th Gear Member

before going into panic mode you need to be sure that it was first properly filled to start. Then, how long was it before the light came on and also, why weren't you using the "manual oil level inspection circuitry" aka dip stick

I just finished helping a friend swap in a new crate Hemi into his truck. He called me a month ago with a "problem"

I went there, he went to start it, I heard the lower end noise and told him turn it off.

A quick inspection of the dipstick and he was wayyyy down.

He never checked oil levels in between changes (he brings it to a shop for oil changes)

I told him that all engines consume some amount of oil even when using synthetic and even expensive cars. Way back in the day, a gas station attendant would check your oil.

Now, we just "pull in" oil change intervals to 3,000 or 5,000 miles (from the old 7,500) and hopefully the engine isn't consuming too much oil during that interval

You might be needing new valve stem seals and won't notice that while you're driving.

But, as i said, before jumping the gun, change the oil, add the correct amount, and monitor it via the dipstick

then you will know for sure how much you are consuming

Old 01-16-2015, 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by J-Factor
I'm thinking improving the seal of the pcv might help. Since the opening it sits over doesn't seem much smaller than the pcv I could probably take the intake off and dremel out the hole a bit. That with an o ring would have a seal better than the current non existent seal.
Which suggests that your pcv valve o-ring is missing, valve already replaced before and left out perhaps? That could explain the internal oily mess. Replacement pcv valves don't appear to include an o-ring. Start there, in addition to monitoring your oil level as suggested above.
See part #560 in the upper left of this diagram: http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/ima...07GM00-289.JPG

Last edited by Camaro 69; 01-16-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:46 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You need to get under the car. Some oil leaks only happen under higher pressure and depending on what it is your whole floor board could be wet with oil. The wind can spreading it out so thin it does not drip.

I can not tell you how many time I told customers about oil leaks I found while I had their cars on the lift. I have heard "but its not leaving and spots in the driveway" many times.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Which suggests that your pcv valve o-ring is missing, valve already replaced before and left out perhaps? That could explain the internal oily mess. Replacement pcv valves don't appear to include an o-ring. Start there, in addition to monitoring your oil level as suggested above.
See part #560 in the upper left of this diagram:
Hahaha! Pcv o ring! Could the pcv use an o ring? Of course. Can the stock pcv setup utilize an o ring? **** no! I hadn't checked my oil in the about 5k miles since the oil change (rookie mistake, I know). Also, I do verify my oil level via the precision aparatus under the hood aka the dipstick. I considered the valve seals could be the issue too but really hoping not considering the pain they would be for me to replace. I'll be hitting up the stealership next week for that part #560 in the diagram.

Last edited by J-Factor; 01-17-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:49 AM
2nd Gear member

The stock pvc valve o ring works fine, you have to put it in first then the valve then place the spring back on top and add the plate, bolt it down.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

First off, Per GM specs NORMAL usage of oil is one quart per 1000 miles. So if you used 2 quarts or even 3 quarts in 5k when the car was brand new the Service manager would not even write a work order to check it under warrant. Note this is not just GM, The guy that sits next to me complaining his Mini Copper was taking 2 quarts of oil between oil changes. The BMW dealer told him a quart every 1000 miles is considered normal.

My 96 Camaro does not use oil between oil changes but my 2004 5.3 in my SUV needs a quart every 1500 miles. It has no leaks and no smoke. One thing I did notice, My Camaro oil pan is rusty and there is no goop anywhere. My does not drip oil but if I stick my hand in some place it coming out with grime. GM refers to this as seepage and it says it is normal.

I still check my oil once a week. My 2002 3800 (in my 96) has about 120k on it and at some point a seal is going to give up. Checking my oil weekly means there is a good chance I will not lose the motor because of a new leak. I never trust warning lights, they do fail also at that low level you will run the oil pan empty if you rev the motor over 5000 RPMs.

Last edited by Gorn; 01-17-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: 2001 v6 burning oil, no leaks, no smoke