93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

2001 V6 3.8, Water in Oil, No Oil Pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011 | 12:22 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes
Default 2001 V6 3.8, Water in Oil, No Oil Pressure.

So a few weeks ago i parked my camaro after a smooth drive home no problems. About a week with noone driving the car i attempt to start the car and it wont start. I had to pore anti freeze in the car and the car starts. I notice it has no oil pressure and is idling horribly. I check the engine oil and have a creamy oil. I hear this mostly points to heads or gaskets or intake. Well i just had the heads tested and bought a 200$ gasket set. Any Ideas guys? Should i buy a new motor and move on? And if so could u guys give me a place that sells good used or rebuilt engines.

note: I had to constantly put Anti freeze in the radiator, It seemed like the leak never went away after the gasket switch.

I drove the car almost 2 months after i had the head gaskets set put on and had the heads testedd. And the antifreeze would slowly leak out and i would just add more. What could cause the slow leak?

Last edited by wildcatk23; 01-28-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2011 | 01:41 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

So i went outside started my car and had oil pressure. Drove the car into the garage and emptied the oil. It was like white chocolate.

Old 01-28-2011 | 01:47 PM
2nd Gear member

My friend has a mazda rx8 and he has the same thing happening, i realize that comparing camaro with it is like apples and oranges but it dosent change the fact that its the same thing. What you got there is the resault of what happens when oil and water condanse together to create that buttary mixture its very likely that your coolant or antifreez, whTever you use is finding its way to the oil pan.

Old 01-28-2011 | 01:56 PM
4th Gear Member

Check with your local auto salvage yards to see what they have available. There is a sticky at the top of this forum Massey did explaining which engines are compatible. Even if you pick up another engine, depending on mileage, it would be a good idea to at least replace the intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets and L shaped plastic coolant piece under the TB.

Old 01-28-2011 | 02:07 PM
2nd Gear member

You're definately leaking antifreeze into the oil. If your heads were just done then they weren't done properly. Another thing that happens is if the car has been overheated at one time, it will warp the heads. Even when you put new gaskets on, it won't seal properly because of the warped heads. A salvaged motor is a gamble. You never know what you are going to get!

Old 01-28-2011 | 02:10 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by mrfreez
You're definately leaking antifreeze into the oil. If your heads were just done then they weren't done properly. Another thing that happens is if the car has been overheated at one time, it will warp the heads. Even when you put new gaskets on, it won't seal properly because of the warped heads. A salvaged motor is a gamble. You never know what you are going to get!
I had the heads tested at a performance shop. There cast iron, they ran all the test and said they was good to go. Could they tell if they was warped? I didnt have the Intake tested...

If i buy a motor through Advanced, Rebuilt, would it be a good motor?

Old 01-28-2011 | 04:32 PM
Overdrive Member

Advance Auto or any other autopart store will supply engines from rebuilders that they can find locally to save on the shipping costs. The quality of the engine will depend on the rebuilder, some are better than others but all should offer at least a 1 year warranty.

When you redid your heads did you get new bolts? And did you torque them plus the correct angle or did you just torque them to what the book says? If you reused the head bolts or didnt torque + angle then your heads didnt get sealed correctly.

The head bolts are Torque-to-yield, meaning they are made out of a spring steel that will stretch during the torquing process and provide constant pressure during all temp ranges. Once you release the pressure on the bolts they dont ever return to their natural state so they cant ever hold the pressures they used to hold. These bolts must be tightened to a certain torque then turned even farther to a certain angle to provide the correct amount of pressure regardless of the length.

Massey