93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

1995 Camaro V6 3.4 runs like crap

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Default 1995 Camaro V6 3.4 runs like crap

So i am new to this so i am sorry if i am doing this wrong lol but i have a camaro with the 3.4 v6 in it. it runs like crap. it seems like its constantly misfiring all the time especially under a load. i changed plugs and wires 3 times, bought a new used computer for the engine, and checked my coil packs and still nothing. i took it to a shop near me to see if they could read any codes and they told me somethings messed up cuz they could unplug what ever they wanted and could not throw a code... and they cant read any of the live data either... so im to the point where idk what is wrong and i need help bad!

Old 04-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Overdrive Member

Buy your own OBD-I compatible scanner and check the codes yourself, Autoxray EZ-Scan 6000 is one...

Old 04-17-2012, 04:40 PM

c thts the thing i borrowed my schools and still nothing i cant even read to see what the live feed data is like the rpms or throttle percentage or anything... idk if its a bad ground issue or what the deal is... this weekend i was planning on checking all my grounds i hope its something easy at this point...

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:59 PM

also it seems to run really rich and theres alot of fumes that comes out of the exauhst with black crap too....i just cant figure it out n its frustrating the crap out of me... any ideas would be extremely helpfull!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:41 PM

Here is a good post that would be a good starting point: https://camaroforums.com/forum/repai...hooting-41933/

You might have a blown gasket if you have a lot of black smoke.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 AM

thanks ill take a look at this and piddle with my camaro over the weekend to see where it gets me... and i could live with a gasket thts pretty easy fix!

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:38 AM

but that thread still doesnt explain why i cant throw a code at all even if the motor is running and i start unplugging things... to me that doesnt make any sence at all only thing i could think of was a bad ground or a wire that got snagged from when my brother totaled it. because ever since then its ran like a$$ . so i think this weekend ill start by checking all my grounds and connections then checking for bad wires then onto to see if i have an intake gasket leak which rite now im kind of doubting.. but well see!

Thanks Guys!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:30 PM

well i checked all my grounds and they seem fine... i even tried running a ground wire from the frame to the motor and that didnt help so idk what is going on... so im to the point where when i get some money built up im taking it in for someone else to deal with lol unless i think of something else that could potentially wrong lol

Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Tech Droid

There is a good possibility that the scanner being used is not what the car needs. The PCM in your car is OBDI but the connector is OBDII. Many shops are not aware of this and will hook up a OBDII scanner just because the cable on the scanner connects to the test port on the car. If this is what happened, then the OBDII scanner won't be able to talk to the PCM and pull the codes. You need a OBDI scanner with a cable that has a OBDII plug.
Also check the fuse for the cig lighter, as it also provides power to the test port.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:32 AM

thanks that makes sense ill try that once! maybe then it can give me a code so ik where to start... thanks!

Quick Reply: 1995 Camaro V6 3.4 runs like crap