93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

100,000+miles how many more?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:04 PM
1st Gear Member

damn.. 400k daaaaamn.................... does it at least smoke? rings gotta be about gone by now

Old 12-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by ChevyManCam
damn.. 400k daaaaamn.................... does it at least smoke? rings gotta be about gone by now
No that's the funny thing, it doesn't smoke, barely uses much oil between changes. I don't know how far a 4.3 has ever gone, but this one may become a museum piece.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member

^ lol yeah if thats a GM 4.3 probably flick the odometer

Old 12-06-2010, 10:01 AM

Thanks for all of the response, I have always felt that good maintenance was the key. And as far as tuning goes for the price. I think I am going forget about that idea. Since they do not offer on the go tuning. Ie high mpg for one setting and a increased hour power for another setting

Old 12-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Overdrive Member

Back in the early 90s there were some Corvettes that had a multi tune computer. You had to use a special key (parental lockout key any one?) to change the settings. The car had to be turned off so it was not really an on-the-fly kinda thing. There were 3 modes, Economy, Performance, and Normal. A sales man from a chevy dealer I was buying an S-10 from took me to lunch in this car. Economy felt ok, Normal was fun and Performance threw emissions and mileage out the window for a really fun time. You could really feel the difference in the way the car acted, even the exhaust note sounded different. This system was problematic and caused GM more headaches than it was worth to keep. It was around for 1 or 2 years before dropped all together. Oh and if you changed the settings with the engine running you would fry the ECU.

Some of the new cars comming out today have settings like this but they can be done on the fly or some even sense the needs of the driver and adjust accordingly. Active Cylinder Management anyone?

Massey

Old 12-06-2010, 11:31 AM
1st Gear Member

i believe the northstar engine systems had this kinda setting as well, it could run off just 4 cylinders.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:13 PM

the three setting thing is what i am looking for, even if it lead to having to turn off the engine to do it. and i have a friend who has a f250 hd truck and he has a input that is mounted in the dash that allows for this type of change over, between different modes. for me however i was thinking, that if i knew i was gong to be on the highway i could change t over to econ. and then where i got to where i was going change it back to normal. but not having to carry around a laptop and plug. does anyone know of a company who dose this.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Overdrive Member

Im not really sure if this can be applied to your computer. I know alot of the newer vehicles have the modes built in and they can be equiped with aftermarket or factory units to switch modes. This is really popular on Diesel engines more than on gas engines. Some newer cars have the econo mode that changes the fuel maping to slightly lean and ignores the protests from the O2 sensors when in that mode. It does not lean the engine enough to damage anything but to gain you a MPG or two.
I dont know about you but I get around 32 MPG on the freeway with my 3.8L and my Wife's Z28 gets around 28 MPG freeway. Funny thing is we sold her 01 Alero after getting her Camaro, and the Alero only got 28 MPG on the freeway with the 2.4L DOHC engine. (older version of today's Ecotech engine).

Massey

Old 12-07-2010, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I drove a Alero(patrol car) when I was dong alarm response in las vegas for maxwell security, that thing did horrible in gas mileage. The other cars we had were 03 toyota Corolla's those car's could take a pounding and still drive good.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Overdrive Member

I think as they got a few miles on them the V6 Aleros got better mileage than the 2.2 or 2.4L engines

Massey

Quick Reply: 100,000+miles how many more?