93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

02 3.8, revs dont seem responsive on a downshift

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 05:56 PM
Default 02 3.8, revs dont seem responsive on a downshift

My 02 Camaro is my commuter car, 5 speed with 125k on the clock. Drives fine outside of my question.

I always blip the throttle on a downshift for a smooth shift, other cars I have owned/driven, a quick blip gives a nice healthy rev.

However, a similar blip on this car and it's like I get too little rev for what I would consider a quick healthy blip

First I thought throttle cable slack but the car is ETC, so no throttle cable to check so I am kind of at a loss.

I have nice responsive pulls when I accelerate while driving through the gears.

Cleaning the MAF sensor tomorrow, I have new ngk iridium plugs and msd wires ready to go and the car has a new air filter. Fuel filter is in route.

This is my first V6 5 speed, maybe this is just how these 3.8s feel normally?

Thanks for your time.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:52 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Since you complaint is entirely based off your opinion of how you think it should be there is no way for us to know if its normal.

When you suddenly snap the gas pedal on a cable type throttle the computer will go crazy trying to react. You will get a lean then rich over reaction. It may snap quickly but your emission system is not happy. It would make a lot of sense in a drive by wire system to just not do those snappy moves and avoid the damage to the cat and o2 sensors. I have own both cable and DBW but I can not say for sure if they react different because I would not do that to a car I owned. I live in an emission area and cats and O2 sensor are expensive, not to mention the stress on the timing chain.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Since you complaint is entirely based off your opinion of how you think it should be there is no way for us to know if its normal.

When you suddenly snap the gas pedal on a cable type throttle the computer will go crazy trying to react. You will get a lean then rich over reaction. It may snap quickly but your emission system is not happy. It would make a lot of sense in a drive by wire system to just not do those snappy moves and avoid the damage to the cat and o2 sensors. I have own both cable and DBW but I can not say for sure if they react different because I would not do that to a car I owned. I live in an emission area and cats and O2 sensor are expensive, not to mention the stress on the timing chain.
I am not snapping the throttle.

When you downshift it's courteous to your clutch to blip the throttle and rev match.

It just seems like the correlation from pedal press to revs given seems...off.

When accelerating its pretty responsive and healthy for a V6. Rev matching seems to be the outlier

Old 12-27-2017, 07:02 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

my 2000 will only rev to 4500 rpms when not in gear. also seems like it sorta does what your saying. response is not quite right when not in gear, probly has to do with rev limiter taking over throttle.