Tranny housing ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Default Tranny housing ?

Hello, I am brand new to the forum.
I have been considering purchasing a z28 for awhile and I came across a '93that has caught my interest.

One of the problemsiswhen the trans was rebuilt and put backin, there was a small tear in the housing for the TV kick down cable at the trans. Silicone was placedon it to seal itto get the car back together, but it didn't seal enough it to keep it from leaking.To solve the problem, adeep trans pan w/long pickup was installed and the fluid level was lowered.If you park the car downhill nose first, it will leak.

I am looking to purchase this as a "toy," not a DD. But I have no idea what I may be getting into with this problem. I have never owned a camaro before. This transmission talk is foreign to me. I have done many bolt-on mods and know basic engine functions and only recently figured out what the kick cable was after searching here.

Any advice or insight on this issue? Sound like an expensive fix?
Thank you.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: Tranny housing ?

ORIGINAL: Camarock
One of the problemsiswhen the trans was rebuilt and put backin, there was a small tear in the housing for the TV kick down cable at the trans. Silicone was placedon it to seal itto get the car back together, but it didn't seal enough it to keep it fromleaking.To solve the problem, adeep trans pan w/long pickup was installed and the fluid level was lowered.If you park the car downhill nose first, it will leak.
I am looking to purchase this as a "toy," not a DD. But I have no idea what I may be getting into with this problem. I have never owned a camaro before. This transmission talk is foreign to me. I have done many bolt-on mods and know basic engine functions and only recently figured out what the kick cable was after searching here.
Any advice or insight on this issue? Sound like an expensive fix?
Thank you.
No it's not an expensive fix, it's not hard either. The part of your post that I put in bold just makes me want to roll my eyes...OK I just did rollem! [8D] Actually, changing the cable would have taken the person less time to fix than the half-arsed way they went about trying to by-pass the leak. Do an online search for a TV cable replacement procedure, I'm sure you'll find all you need to get through it. Or, pick yourself up a repair manual.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:20 PM

I appreciate the response. I was thinking the exact same thing as you it seems, I just wasn't sure if there was something else to this.
Thanks again.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Overdrive Member

I was trying to read between the lines because I could not figure out why some one would replace the pan to fix the cable housing. They are not hard to replace and most self adjust. I think it is only the early cables that need manual adjustments.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28
I was trying to read between the lines because I could not figure out why some one would replace the pan to fix the cable housing.
The TV cable housing got cracked and leaks trans fluid. So what they did was put on a deeper, extra capacity pan, but didn't fill it all the way. Essentially, they lowered the pan, which lowered the level to try to keep it from leaking.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

The TV cable housing got cracked and leaks trans fluid. So what they did was put on a deeper, extra capacity pan, but didn't fill it all the way. Essentially, they lowered the pan, which lowered the level to try to keep it from leaking.
I got that much, GEEZ!
I was more trying to figure out what was going through their crackpot minds.
Remember, I am not the one that did that screwball fix

Old 11-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28
I got that much, GEEZ!
I was more trying to figure out what was going through their crackpot minds.
Remember, I am not the one that did that screwball fix
Oh, OK sorry. I gotta start giving you more credit once in a while I guess!
What was going through their crackpot minds? Probably crack and pot!!!