Random clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 06:08 PM
Default Random clutch issue

Hey everyone, I'm new here. Sorry if this isn't the correct spot to post this.

I have a 1998 V6 Camaro (5 speed) and the other day I went to go to the store. I pushed the clutch in, started up the car and went to put it in neutral (I keep it parked in 1st), but the stick shift wouldn't move. Seconds later the car died, then the clutch went flat. I had to pump the clutch a couple dozen times to get it back to full pressure. I was able to start the car and use the clutch without any issues, but I was afraid to drive it at that point and I haven't driven it since. I checked under the car to see if there was any fluid leakage, and as far as I can tell there is nothing significant. (There was a couple oil drops but the car has done that for as long as I've had it). I also checked the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir and it seemed pretty dirty and maybe slightly low, but there was obviously fluid there and it looked no different than it did a few months back when I last looked.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have happened? I'm hoping it isn't the slave cylinder failing (my brother's Camaro needed a new slave cylinder), but I am not super car savvy and I don't know where to look.

Thanks!

Ryan

Old 11-20-2018, 06:53 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If there was no fluid lost we could guess that fluid leaked around the seal in the master cylinder. That could just leak right back in the reservoir but there is no way to be sure and you best bet is to replace the entire system in a case like this.( master, hose and slave.) It is a lot of work on your car as step one will be remove transmission.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:56 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Sorry to say it but it does sound like the slave is going bad.
If you can put it up on some jack stands and have someone pump the pedal while you look for fluid leaking, if it starts dripping you'll know it's on it's way out.
If there's no sign of a leak I'd get some fluid and bleed it out real well then try driving it, might just need some fluid and the air bled out of the system.
It could also be the master going bad but the slave is more likely.
This has always been to down side of hydraulic clutches.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:24 AM

Ok thanks for your guys' input. I'm gonna have my brother help me take a look and if I figure it out I'll post it here.