Do I have to replace my clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Default RE: Do I have to replace my clutch??

Does the clutch engange in the gears you can get it into? From what it sounds like it might be the clutch fork.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:10 AM
3rd Gear Member

I think Norm's on the right track. If the T/O brg / clutch fork isn't moving much, it's probably the fluid level or clutch fork. It may not shift into gears not running depending on the fliud level.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:55 AM

If I have the car off and I put it into first and then start the car, the car does move forward, but i don't know if it will shift from 1st to 2nd from this point.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:45 AM
3rd Gear Member

Your clutch is apparently working then. So I would have to say it has something to do with the fork.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:59 PM

so, will I be able to buy the fork by itself, or will I need to buy the whole assembly? Does replacing the fork mean removing the tranny, ect...?

Old 11-16-2006, 10:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

You can buy the clutch fork separate. I'm not sure if you can take the fork out w/o taking the housing off on that trans. But I'm going to imagine that you have to since you have to line it up with the new bearing, and they give you only so much space to take it out with.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:45 PM

I just want to thank everyone who helped me out by responding to my posting. Although I was driving my boyfriend and his friend crazy by standing next to the car with my laptop shouting out orders, and what to look out next, they are grateful for it now! I had seen a posting from a guy experiencing problems very similar to what was going on with my car, and the fix was the same. The previous owner of my car apparently didn't have the fork lined up on the groove properly, therefore the clutch wouldn't shift at all. Thanks again to all that helped me! This is a great site, with a lot of helpful information, and people!!! Suzie

Old 12-02-2006, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I dont want to open a new thread so i'm going to add something here. My 94'z is doing something not very often but that i dont like. When I try to shift into first gear it wont shift it gets stuck. I push the shifter and it just wont shift. But if i try shifting to second or any other gears it will shift. After shifting into any other of the gear then I CAN SHIFT INTO FIRST GEAR. Could this be that my clutch is wearing down?? and that pretty soon i'm going to need to replace it?? Just to add something else my dad has a pick up 5 speeds and the same thing happens to the truck but that is always, i mean all the time you try to shift into 2end gear the gear wont engage and it is really hard to get into gear. IN MY CAR THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN THAT OFTEN. BUT CONSERNED

Old 12-04-2006, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: camarorz28

I dont want to open a new thread so i'm going to add something here. My 94'z is doing something not very often but that i dont like. When I try to shift into first gear it wont shift it gets stuck. I push the shifter and it just wont shift. But if i try shifting to second or any other gears it will shift. After shifting into any other of the gear then I CAN SHIFT INTO FIRST GEAR. Could this be that my clutch is wearing down?? and that pretty soon i'm going to need to replace it?? Just to add something else my dad has a pick up 5 speeds and the same thing happens to the truck but that is always, i mean all the time you try to shift into 2end gear the gear wont engage and it is really hard to get into gear. IN MY CAR THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN THAT OFTEN. BUT CONSERNED

That just sounds like a bad syncro.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

is that bad or what?

Quick Reply: Do I have to replace my clutch??