clutch?tranny?what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Default clutch?tranny?what?

OK you guys this is one for you, I have taken my 00 camaro in to 5 shops and NOT one can figure out my problem! I have had this problem for going on 4 years and im getting sick of it.

I have a problem getting my car in to 5th gear. Yes its a v6 5 speed. I have put in a new clutch and it did not fix the problem.

My camaro will only go in to 5th gear when it is leaning at a small angle either up or down a hill.

It all started one day when i was getting on the freeway and shifted from 3rd to 5th and it almost stalled out on me.... gave it 10 mins on the side of the road only had 4th gear started it drove it home in 4th. took 2 days and i had all my gears back... werid i know... sounds like a made up story but im sick of being told theirs nothing to do. =(

Thanx

Old 02-24-2012, 03:21 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

did you replace the hydraulic system?

Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do you have a Stock shifter in it? Sure sounds like something in your shifter or the shifter rods is messed up.

I am not sure what shop your are taking it to but any decent mechanic "that rebuilds manual transmission" he should have no problem fixing it. Unless it is the shifter itself your most likley going to need to pull the tranny.

I would be temped to just buy a shifter and install it and see if it is any better since the install is pretty simple and stock shifter can be bought cheap.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:11 AM

I have not done a thing! Everywhere I take it they do not even give me an idea of what they need to do to find the problem. I tell them what is going on and they say I dont know, I dont mind having my car broke down and rebuilt its going to happen anyways when i start fixing it up i just wish someone would say hey we need to do this to fix it.. maybe i just taking it to the wrong shops =(

Old 02-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Tech Droid

As Gorn said, it sounds like a shifter problem, espacially since it shifts OK when the car is on an incline. You may even want to look at the motor and transmission mounts, making sure the whole engine/transmission assembly is not moving about and causing interference.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:54 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Chevymayhem
I have not done a thing! Everywhere I take it they do not even give me an idea of what they need to do to find the problem. I tell them what is going on and they say I dont know, I dont mind having my car broke down and rebuilt its going to happen anyways when i start fixing it up i just wish someone would say hey we need to do this to fix it.. maybe i just taking it to the wrong shops =(
Call a transmission shop, Ask them if they repair\rebuild manual transmission. If they say no thank them for their time, if they say yes take your car there. Your 5T transmission is one of the most common rear wheel drive transmission on the planet. It has been the standard transmission on the Base Camaro from 1983-2002 and it was used in the Mustang and S10 pickup. They have slightly different conguration but internally they are the same. There are guys out there that can assemble that trans blind folded. You just need to find one.

The more I think about I think you may have a broken shift fork or something going on with the shift fork mount.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Chevymayhem
Everywhere I take it they do not even give me an idea of what they need to do to find the problem. I tell them what is going on and they say I dont know
The way I read this, you might be going into the shop and asking a question looking for an answer, without paying them for their time to take the car and do a diagnostic on it? If that's what you're doing, then I completely understand why they are giving you an "I don't know". Those types of answers are the easiest ones to give away for free. I can't see any mechanic worth their stuff not being able to find or see the problem, once they start digging. Even to say "it's an internal problem" is an answer. "I don't know" isn't an answer you pay for, but again, you might be getting your money's worth with that answer.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 02-24-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:23 AM

O I have forked out alot of money... Only thing I havent done is let them take it apart, because once they take out one part im sure the whole car is gonna need to be redone lol. After summer the cars going in the shop to get full redo, so im just hoping it makes it till then. I just wish someone could give me an answer.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:26 AM

Thank you so much for at least giving me some ideas, it is more then I have gotten from anyone. Gives me a place to start

Thank you again!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:24 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I use to rebuild these back in the late 80's, What you are talking about is not a common issue. Unless this is a common issue recently. I don't think so since I have been on this board for 5 years and yours is the first with this issue. That means it is going to need disassembeled by someone who know what they are looking at. Parts for standard trans are very expensive. You best bet may be to just stick a used T5 in there. You should be able to fine a decent mileage one for $350. If you need a new shift rod and fork the parts alone could be close to $300. If the case is damaged at the shift rod then you may end up used anyway.

Quick Reply: clutch?tranny?what?