97 Camaro v6 3.8, Jiffy says LSD when changing fluid, is it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Default 97 Camaro v6 3.8, Jiffy says LSD when changing fluid, is it?

Hello:

I recently purchased a 97 Camaro with a 3.8 v6, no special packaging that I know of. I am aware of the Y87 package, but mine doesn't have it. Rear brakes are drums, front discs, no dual exhaust. I have been having just about every fluid/oil changed in the vehicle, and Jiffy Lube would do the manual transmission and rear differential for about what I could, so I had them do it, but specified synchromesh for the manual trans.

So what? Well, when they did the rear differential, they told me it was a limited slip differential in the back, so they put in the additive for the extra $17, figured someone (previous owner) must have put the limited slip dif in aftermarket. Kind of an odd choice for a v6, with no other real mods done to the car, other than performance tires, but okay... cool.

Decided to go ahead and put the back end on jacks, just to see for sure. From my understanding of the test, you put it in neutral, with the back tires off the ground. Spin one tire, if the other tire spins in the opposite direction, then it's a normal differential, if the other tire spins in the same direction, then it's a LSD.

Lucky me, my car did option 3. The other tire doesn't turn. I can turn the one tire around 15 times, reasonably quick, either direction, either tire, and the other tire does not turn. I put it in 5 gear, though, then the other tire turns the other direction, like it's a normal (non-LSD) differential, but maybe that's normal for an LSD if the transmission is in gear too, because the drive shaft isn't moving? I understand how the gears are setup in the normal differential, but I really don't understand the mechanics behind a LSD.

Any advice on this? If it's not a LSD, is it concerning that they put the additive in? Or is it harmless for a normal differential?

Thanks for any help

Old 12-05-2012, 08:14 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you have a open center section. in an open or regular rear center section the spider gears look for the easiest way to spin and if the driveshaft will spin then thats what it does. on a limited slip the tire will not spin at all when car is in gear or park and when in nuterual the other tire spins the same way.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 PM

Thank you for the clarification... I was 95% percent sure it was open, but wanted to be 100% sure before I called jiffy lube back and complained, only to find out that I was the idiot...lol.

Jiffy lube put in the additive for a LSD... will that create issues with an open differential? Should I have them drain it and replace the fluid?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

No, not gonna hurt a thing. But that unnecessary $17 charge hurt your wallet. I'd go back and demand to get that back. Them being idiots shouldn't cost you money.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 PM

Yeah, that's the plan.... just needed to know if I needed to ask them for a partial refund, or also a fluid change.... sounds like partial refund is all I need. :-) Thanks again :-)

Old 12-06-2012, 12:34 PM
cad

If your options sticker in the drivers door jam does NOT have code G80, then you do not have a limited slip differential (ie positraction)...PERIOD. And you tested that both wheels do not spin together.
ALL GM cars with a positraction diff will have code G80.
Clark

Old 12-06-2012, 03:07 PM

Yes, cad... because no one EVER mods these cars... everyone always leaves them completely stock....LOL

Old 12-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by Brady Mikesell
Yes, cad... because no one EVER mods these cars... everyone always leaves them completely stock....LOL

Old 12-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Wish I had a factory label on my car that told what options it has.
Yep, the sticker only tells what GM originally put in the car.
After that, previous owners can make it a free for all.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:31 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Wish I had a factory label on my car that told what options it has.
Yep, the sticker only tells what GM originally put in the car.
After that, previous owners can make it a free for all.
I don't know where you shop but none of my mods were free ;-)

Quick Reply: 97 Camaro v6 3.8, Jiffy says LSD when changing fluid, is it?